U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2016, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

I'm considering getting regular (weekly or bimonthly) professional massages for health benefits, but can't decide "which kind"—Swedish, deep-tissue, acupressure etc. I've had massages before, but not in many years. I'm now 67 and want to have regular sessions.

Also, I recently heard a local interview with a hypnotherapist. I never considered "hypnosis" as it's associated with so many myths, but I really liked what what this professional was saying to the interviewer about releasing deep feelings held over many years even since childhood, and managing "stress" through induced relaxation. She debunked the myths of the swinging watch (lol) and doing weird things while in a trance.

Anyone have any experience past the age of 55—65, and advice on either or both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2016, 03:19 PM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
Reputation: 6954
I love to be hypnotized. It is incredibly relaxing. I convinced my husband to try it and he was able to stop smoking. I first tried it in college with a group. Because I have had only good results, I go under easily. I use self hypnosis now because I haven't found a local person.


I believe, from my personal experience, that the key to going into a hypnotic state is a droning, repetitious voice. Nothing to be afraid of and nothing mystical.


I did have a hypnotist here. He cheated me out of $5 because he didn't have change. We agreed to make it up next visit. He asked for the full payment at my next session. I don't believe he forgot. I did not respond to him after that, so I believe there is a matter of trust involved.


Edited to say that I like Thomas Hall on YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,535 posts, read 1,830,003 times
Reputation: 6641
I want to give a plug for deep tissue massage if you are having muscle aches and pains. It may take a few sessions to get 'into' and comfortable with but I believe you will feel better and have less discomfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 03:42 PM
 
4,484 posts, read 4,745,031 times
Reputation: 9941
I love acupuncture. Unfortunately, I don't get there often enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 03:52 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,236 posts, read 6,340,776 times
Reputation: 9854
I used to do lots acupuncture, almost daily, but my acupuncturist retired this year. I miss her so I don't do acunpuncture anymore. But I get regular massage on a regular basis, sometimes 3 times a week. All pretax money. Lately I do some, more infrequent because I don't need it as much. My body is getting better. But I recommend both massage and acupuncture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,618 posts, read 9,687,274 times
Reputation: 10980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I'm considering getting regular (weekly or bimonthly) professional massages for health benefits, but can't decide "which kind"—Swedish, deep-tissue, acupressure etc. I've had massages before, but not in many years. I'm now 67 and want to have regular sessions.

Also, I recently heard a local interview with a hypnotherapist. I never considered "hypnosis" as it's associated with so many myths, but I really liked what what this professional was saying to the interviewer about releasing deep feelings held over many years even since childhood, and managing "stress" through induced relaxation. She debunked the myths of the swinging watch (lol) and doing weird things while in a trance.

Anyone have any experience past the age of 55—65, and advice on either or both?

Funny this is the first post I see when I came in here. I've been seriously considering it myself. With my job I NEED some really good and DEEP massage therapy. It's killer sometimes. And to top it off I had a bad fall a week or so ago and hurt myself a lot more than I thought I did. By the time I get home I'm so stiff and sore I just want to cry. Tomorrow I will be looking into this and, finally, doing something about it.


I've had a really rough couple of weeks. My health has always been about the best thing in my life...till now. I'm getting over pneumonia, can't breathe, get dehydrated FAST and can't drink coffee anymore. I try to drink as much water as I can at work but play hell trying to get a swallow in every now and then. At home I have a huge glass by my side at all times. Because of my breathing problems I have FINALLY quit smoking and hoping like hell it 'takes' this time. All I have to do is think about it and I hurt, bad. For some reason everything I eat takes like pure salt so I try to stay away from processed foods, but I always have. It's just that I have no motivation to cook anything, even though my stomach is in full on 'growl' mode all the time anymore it seems. But a few bites and I don't want anymore. I've been so sick I'm really missing my mom! Maybe I'll even look into the hypnosis for the smoking. I refuse to go on the patches/lozenges or gum. I don't want to replace one bad habit with another one! Any suggestions? Bring 'em on! I figure cold turkey is the only way to go but it's really hard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,618 posts, read 9,687,274 times
Reputation: 10980
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I love to be hypnotized. It is incredibly relaxing. I convinced my husband to try it and he was able to stop smoking. I first tried it in college with a group. Because I have had only good results, I go under easily. I use self hypnosis now because I haven't found a local person.


I believe, from my personal experience, that the key to going into a hypnotic state is a droning, repetitious voice. Nothing to be afraid of and nothing mystical.


I did have a hypnotist here. He cheated me out of $5 because he didn't have change. We agreed to make it up next visit. He asked for the full payment at my next session. I don't believe he forgot. I did not respond to him after that, so I believe there is a matter of trust involved.


Edited to say that I like Thomas Hall on YouTube

How does one "self hypnotize"??? I'm willing to try about anything at this point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 05:14 PM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
Reputation: 6954
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
How does one "self hypnotize"??? I'm willing to try about anything at this point!

Try the Thomas Hall videos on YouTube. I'm sure he has one for smoking.


So sorry to hear about your fall and pneumonia. Any chance you damaged a rib when you fell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Funny this is the first post I see when I came in here. I've been seriously considering it myself. With my job I NEED some really good and DEEP massage therapy. It's killer sometimes. And to top it off I had a bad fall a week or so ago and hurt myself a lot more than I thought I did. By the time I get home I'm so stiff and sore I just want to cry. Tomorrow I will be looking into this and, finally, doing something about it.


I've had a really rough couple of weeks. My health has always been about the best thing in my life...till now. I'm getting over pneumonia, can't breathe, get dehydrated FAST and can't drink coffee anymore. I try to drink as much water as I can at work but play hell trying to get a swallow in every now and then. At home I have a huge glass by my side at all times. Because of my breathing problems I have FINALLY quit smoking and hoping like hell it 'takes' this time. All I have to do is think about it and I hurt, bad. For some reason everything I eat takes like pure salt so I try to stay away from processed foods, but I always have. It's just that I have no motivation to cook anything, even though my stomach is in full on 'growl' mode all the time anymore it seems. But a few bites and I don't want anymore. I've been so sick I'm really missing my mom! Maybe I'll even look into the hypnosis for the smoking. I refuse to go on the patches/lozenges or gum. I don't want to replace one bad habit with another one! Any suggestions? Bring 'em on! I figure cold turkey is the only way to go but it's really hard...
I'm convinced that abnormal stresses affect health much more than anything else if they can't be managed. Oddly, yoga over a year's time didn't do much for me. I think there are traumas in life that need to be resolved, and as I've heard said, talk therapy doesn't always help because we're in a state of anguish, not deep relaxation, while talking out our troubles. I suddenly desire gaining access to the underlayers and trying to find a relaxation response instead of just talking. Never helped me. I heard the hypnotherapist, who has an amazing credentialed background in alternative therapies, say that weight hold and smoking are manifestations of unmanaged stress, so you may want to try it. I feel I'm going to make an appt even though I've been hesitant. BTW, acupuncture over a year's time did not help me, though I know it's helped others.

I wonder about the age factor in these choices, whether it's a help, a hindrance, or no effect whatsoever on the success of the therapy chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I used to do lots acupuncture, almost daily, but my acupuncturist retired this year. I miss her so I don't do acunpuncture anymore. But I get regular massage on a regular basis, sometimes 3 times a week. All pretax money. Lately I do some, more infrequent because I don't need it as much. My body is getting better. But I recommend both massage and acupuncture.
An hour massage around here costs at least $80. Three times a week would be quite pricey, though heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top