Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 PM

761 posts, read 829,110 times

Advertisements

Interesting, but again, YMMV and one size does not fit all:
For some, leaving workforce continues years after retiring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM

154 posts, read 532,677 times
Thanks for the article. My spouse and I are in our 50's, neither one of us wants to work full time anymore. I went back 6 years ago to the medical field, able to work 4 hour shifts. It's a very good situation. Luckily, I returned to a former employer, from years ago. Lesson learned here, don't burn your bridges. I don't consider this a career job, but it's a great semi-retirement job. And my spouse wants to throw in the towel from the corporate world, at least by his early 60's. Plan in place is for him to continue his seasonal, part-time job in the sports field. He has been doing this part time gig for 10 years. Now, he realizes it will be a great small 2nd income when he retires. It does feel good to have a solid plan. We didn't really plan any of these options, it just all kind of fell into place. And we feel pretty lucky about it.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 PM

29 posts, read 26,926 times
Three-quarters of retirees plan to work, according to a Bankrate survey (but much fewer actually do).
Americans plan to work through retirement

"Phased retirement" is also starting to take hold, where people reduce to part-time for a few years before retiring completely. The federal government is one of the first employers to have formal policies in place.
https://www.opm.gov/retirement-servi...ed-retirement/

Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,845,729 times
The term in the OP's article is "bridge retirement", although "phased retirement" will do just fine as meaning essentially the same thing. It's what I did, but not by plan; it just happened. I didn't need the money, but I had the opportunity and I enjoyed it. When the various things I was doing eventually became chores instead of fun, I gave them up one by one. Only one small project is left - teaching chess for five weeks every summer in an enrichment summer school. While I get paid for it, I would do it for free. In fact I have adopted the practice of doing it for free by donating back my wages to the non-profit which runs the summer school.

I will be 72 this summer as I teach those classes for the 12th summer in a row, marking 11 years since I retired from full-time work. I enjoy it so much I can't imagine it ever becoming a "chore" but if it does I will give it up just as I gave the other things up. I hope to continue with teaching chess until I am no longer able to do so. (At this point I seem still to have all my marbles - as many as I started with at any rate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement