U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 03:49 PM

6,663 posts, read 3,772,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG2014 View Post
I am trying to decide if I should get my thyroid checked, my doctor says it was checked in 2008 and was normal then. Corgifreak, I am not sure that we are fighting fair, but you make a good point. Another retired buddy of mine is complaining because of too many distractions sucking up all his time, as in many grandchildren, we only have one young grandchild that we seldom see. We each have our problems I guess!
The Florida suggestion gave me a good chuckle, I think it would get vetoed though.
Thanks again, it helps...
You CAN do things on your own, you know. In fact, once retired, that may be advisable. There's such a thing as too much togetherness. I even separate my dogs sometimes, so they're not together all the time. They start getting irritated with each other, but after being separated for a few hours, they are all joy to be together again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 03:53 PM

7,823 posts, read 4,409,856 times
Maybe you two should get together (just kidding). It does sound like as much of a marital as a retirement problem...

Old 04-01-2016, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 6,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Well...this post resonates. My other half still works (at home, largely part time) and disappears into his office for hours day or eve. He occasionally goes out to meet clients. I have a few myself, and I teach a class or two, and we have the grandkids one day a week. Still, I am restless and bored a lot, while he fills his days with activities including long walks with the dogs. I inherited my dad's intense restlessness (got to get away!) and have had to self-control it all my life. Being mostly retired and at home esp in long winters exacerbates the problem. Going out with friends is once here, once there, but not 24/7 and too much time on my hands is NOT GOOD.

I refuse to take script meds unless it's life or death. I found that natural magnesium supplements (from a reputable source, not a drug store or big box), known for restlessness and anxiety, helps a lot (M.D. can tell you the dose). There are different forms of magnesium so read up on it. Minimizing caffeine and sugars of all kinds (of course junk/processed foods) helps me. There's a few retired guys in my yoga class, so maybe that's an option. Aerobic exercise is good for the body but doesn't help me otherwise. Also massage, which I'm starting again next week. Maybe some of these will help.
That's interesting, I am going to look that up. Thank you.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 PM

11 posts, read 6,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You CAN do things on your own, you know. In fact, once retired, that may be advisable. There's such a thing as too much togetherness. I even separate my dogs sometimes, so they're not together all the time. They start getting irritated with each other, but after being separated for a few hours, they are all joy to be together again!
Yes, I know I can, and I do. Just wanting a little more I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement