U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:08 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Nearest hospital to Tellico Village?
Lenor City is the nearest big hospital TV has its own police and fire as well as local medical clinic. Large hospital would be Knoxville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:06 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Thanks! I've been researching some more. What is the name of the new neighborhood with the side walks and walkability?
It's just one street right now, with about 12 homes. It's called Cheeyo Place. If it is as big of a success as it seems like it's going to be there should be more built very nearby as there are numerous lots available there.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
TheShadow,

I'm also in the beginning stages of researching TV. Can you give me an idea of the size of your home, the cost of your homeowners insurance and the cost of utilities?

Thank you very much.
Happy to help. Our home is about 2750 sq ft basement ranch (finished walk-out basement under a typical ranch style). Our homeowners is $1020/yr through the AARP The Hartford. Our property taxes are $1500/yr.

Our largest utility is cable/internet/land-line, through Charter, which runs about $160 after the two year "deal" ran out. There are other suppliers, but we like the fast internet of Charter. Our electric bills are VERY low here because it is supplied by TVA through our local utility board. We pay about $100/month in summer and winter, less than that in spring and fall. Your mileage on that might vary based upon how you run your a/c, and the condition/age of your a/c unit. We set ours at 78 in the summer. We have a heat pump with propane as the back up heat source, rather than the usual electric heat strips. So in the colder parts of winter we are heating with propane. There's no access to natural gas anywhere in TV. Propane costs us less than $650/year and we use it for our range, water heater, and back-up to the heat pump. Many homes here are all electric, which can run up your winter heating bills during Jan-Feb. Propane is cheap here if you own your own tank and can shop for the cheapest supplier.

Our neighbors keep their a/c at 72 and run it at that temp day and night, even when they are on vacation. They pay about $300 or more for electricity in the summer for the same size home.

POA (think HOA) dues are $117/month. That's for maintenance of the streets, street lighting, maintenance of the amenities, etc. Some amenities are "a la carte". You pay if it is something you use. This includes the fitness center ($500 yr for the whole family, about half that for one person) the boat docks (about $600 yr depending on size of dock), golf (pay as you go, no membership fee) and the pools (included in fitness center fee).

edited to add: Water/sewer is about $40/month, can be more if you use more water than we do. Trash is about $15/month.

Last edited by TheShadow; 07-29-2016 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I will be moving to TN in about 2 years for retirement. I will be looking for a neighborhood with sidewalks and within walking distance to some shopping, not because I won't be able to drive, but because I don't want to have to get into a car for every darn thing. I hear the same thing from many of my contemporaries: we want to be able to walk places just because we want to, not because we are unable to drive. Developers need to latch onto this trend....as it seems is happening in TV. I understand greenways are under development there, too. These are very desirable features that will help draw new retirees in!
Sorry to say....The only thing that will be within walking distance of Cheeyo Place at this point is the grocery, the hardware, and a Dollar General. You will need to drive for pretty much everything else. This is a rural area situated in the center of a triangle formed by three small towns, Loudon, Lenoir City, and Vonore. Each is about 10 miles from the village. In the Village we have several (maybe 5) restaurants, including the golf clubhouses, several banks, real estates, 1 grocery, 1 hardware, 1 Dollar General, 1 gas station with an included Subway sandwich, several salons, our library, our little theater, and several churches, maybe a few things I've forgotten. We are always hoping for more restaurants. Most of theses will require a drive to them since we are strung out for about 9 miles, from end to end, along the shore of the lake.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Nearest hospital to Tellico Village?
Fort Loudon Medical Center, about 14 miles away in the north end of Lenoir City. It's small but has most of what you need. There are several larger hospitals in Knoxville about 25 miles away including University of Tennessee Medical Center.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Unless you live in the core neighborhoods of some of the cities in east TN, you're basically going to have to drive. East TN is just too lightly populated to have much of a walkable infrastructure that's not auto-centric.
Very true.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,081 times
Thank you, TheShadow

Old 07-29-2016, 08:36 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
Quote:
Unless you live in the core neighborhoods of some of the cities in east TN, you're basically going to have to drive.
Always quick with an opportunity to say something negative... even if it's not true, aren't you. Look at Village green next time you are in Farragut. Yes you need transportation to Doctor appointments, but that's not someplace you want to walk, anyway. Now wait - there's a Doctor's office in Rocky hill, along with a lot of other necessities/amenities.

Sorry for the OT rant. I think it's wonderful that TV has the volunteers to help people whose driving days are past.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:10 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Always quick with an opportunity to say something negative... even if it's not true, aren't you. Look at Village green next time you are in Farragut. Yes you need transportation to Doctor appointments, but that's not someplace you want to walk, anyway. Now wait - there's a Doctor's office in Rocky hill, along with a lot of other necessities/amenities.

Sorry for the OT rant. I think it's wonderful that TV has the volunteers to help people whose driving days are past.

In two days of visiting TV I can tell you that I felt that the folks there were very happy and willing to help. We only interacted with a few but everyone around us didn't just go about their business without a smile to strangers. I hope I can talk DW (the boss) into going back again for a second visit. It won't be for a while though since we are not ready to make the leap out of here.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:27 AM

Glad you enjoyed your visit Golfingduo. The villagers are very happy folks. When I first moved here I was a little taken aback by the almost "Stepford Wives"-like level of smiling contentment. It seemed almost fake, but after 3 years here I am happy to say it's real. TV is a place filled with very helpful and generous people. I'm sure there are some curmudgeons here, but the vast majority of people participate in charities, and help other villagers and the local communities. People wave as they pass on the street and pitch in when help is needed. So glad we made the cross-country move to be here.

Last edited by TheShadow; 07-30-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or