Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 10,673 times

Advertisements

Hopefully quitting the Rat Race this year and have been looking at Tellico Village as a retirement option. Any real time Villagers out there that could give a first hand picture of life in TV?
1. We are 58 and 54, how's that compare to the age group in TV?

2. What is the real cost of living in TV? Would 6k-8k be comfortable if we own the home outright?

3. How expensive is the golf? the marina rental (25ft)? The "amenities"?

Have seen discussions on the TV site, but am a bit leery of "propaganda".

Appreciate any and all feedback.......GT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,609,868 times
Real-life villager here.

1) We are 57 and 62 and are on the younger end of the spectrum, not counting the handful of families that are here. It is not age-restricted, but at least 80% are over 55. Most are in their 60's to 70's, a few in their 80's.

2) You will be just fine with that income, especially with a paid off home. We are in the same range and we pay a $1500 mortgage.

3) Golf does not require a membership. It is I think $32 for 18 holes, cheaper in the winter and cheaper after 2 pm. You get a 10% discount if you pre-pay into a golf account and then draw off that as you go. There is also a cart fee of I think thirteen dollars for 18 holes. Everything is halved for 9 holes. You still have to pay a partial cart fee, even if you have your own cart and it goes to course maintenance. We like to play 9 holes after 2 pm on pre-pay and we have our own cart, so when we do that we pay something like $9 each/9 holes! For around $2400 a year you can have unlimited golf for the family and unlimited range balls.

Most of the amenities are "a la carte" meaning since our POA fee (think HOA) is only $117, we pay separately for the fitness center ($500ish/year for the family, or half that for a single, or you can pay $5 per visit), and golf, and boat slip (unless you are waterfront and have your own dock) which start at $600 per year for a 10x20' uncovered slip. You can put a longer boat in a 20" slip on most of the docks. We have a 22' in a 20' slip. The "a la carte" system makes it fair for people who don't use those facilities. Why should they pay for them, right?

The website shows pretty much exactly what it's like. No real propaganda. Ask any villager how they like living here and the answers range from "our little piece of heaven" to "love it". We've been here almost 3 years and we are very happy.

Of course nothing is perfect and there are always politics when money is involved, so there are some squabbles with the board of directors over the improvements to be made in the future. Although the village is 25 years old, there are still new homes being constructed all the time and as the old facilities fade people want them to be upgraded and newer amenities are desired, so the money from our POA fees must be allocated not only for staff and maintenance, but for remodeling and new amenity construction as well.

Check out this site and scroll down and read the resident reviews at the bottom of the page to get a feel what other residents say.
Tellico Village - Loudon, TN | Real Estate Reviews

Feel free to ask more questions here or PM me if you want to talk about it in private.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 PM

284 posts, read 359,695 times
"Future" Real Time Villager here.

Looks like 3rd time was the charm for us. We just got back from our 3rd visit to Tellico Village last week, this time with a real estate contract in our hands. We are 56 and 62 and are so excited about the prospect that this time next year, we will be "Real" Time Villagers. We absolutely love the place from all the amenities, a beautiful, clean lake, to all the great people we've met. We can honestly say, we can't imagine a better place for us to spend this next chapter of our lives and we can't wait!!

While we don't live there yet, from everything we've seen, their marketing videos seem to be pretty much dead on. Seriously, spend a few hundred $$$ and do the Discovery Package through the POA. You'll get a great tour of the Village and all the amenities and also have the option to golf and/or go boating with one of the residents who volunteer their time to take folks out and show them around. It's great and you'll leave with a lot of your questions answered and a pretty high bar from which to measure all other communities.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,997,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

Feel free to ask more questions here or PM me if you want to talk about it in private.
Not the OP here but I looked this place up based on the OP and it looks pretty interesting for us. A couple of questions.

I looked at the HOA and it looks like fences are allowed. But I didn't see any fences in the real estate listings or when browsing the streets on Google map. Do they let you fence your lot?

The HOA is optional. What does that mean for things like parking your RV on your lot? Do people generally have RV garages or is there a nearby storage area everyone uses?

Is there a neighborhood with walking paths? I didn't see much in the way of sidewalks or paths browsing google maps. Do people walk their dogs in the street?

Thanks for offering to answer questions!

Old 03-31-2016, 10:09 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,609,868 times
mic111, The HOA in TV is a social organization, not a controlling body. The controlling body is the Property Owner's Association (POA), definitely NOT optional and fees are $117/month which pays for upkeep of facilities, etc.

The POA rules are in a document called the Blue Book. I'll try to find it online and PM you the link. Fences are allowed but they need to be lower than I think 5 feet and can only be certain types. What we see are wrought iron style fences and picket fences, wood or vinyl. Six ft privacy fences are not allowed. You need to get a permit through the POA and they get to say yea or nay on the design. The thing about fences is that around here in TN almost no one has privacy fences. The lots are often somewhat private with trees and greenbelts around to help screen views of neighboring properties, but the views are much better without ugly privacy fences cluttering up the landscape. Most people who have dogs and no fence just walk the dogs regularly. This was a big adjustment for us. (We used to have 4 fenced acres). But I do prefer scenery to fences.

RV's are not allowed to be on your lot for more than 3 days at a time. We do have an RV/boat storage lot in the village and the rent there is very cheap (less than $50/month). Some nearby storage companies outside TV have covered spots for RV's. I'm sure they charge more.

There are a few walking paths within the village. One is wooded and gravel topped. The other one that I know of is the paved fitness trail that circles the Wellness Center and has exercise stations at 4 points. The only neighborhood with sidewalks is now being built. It is considered a downsizing neighborhood with single-story homes about 1400 sq ft and is walking distance to the grocery store and pharmacy. This is something new to cater to the older residents who maybe can't drive anymore. We also have volunteer drivers for those folks who can take them to appointments, etc. The rest of the village has no sidewalks but everyone walks their dogs on the side of the street. Most of the neighborhood streets are quiet with only residents' cars, not outside traffic, so driver's are generally courteous and will give you wide berth as they pass. Speed limits on residential streets are 25 mph.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:07 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,997,749 times
Thanks! I've been researching some more. What is the name of the new neighborhood with the side walks and walkability?

Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,675,884 times
TheShadow,

I'm also in the beginning stages of researching TV. Can you give me an idea of the size of your home, the cost of your homeowners insurance and the cost of utilities?

Thank you very much.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,864,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
mic111, The HOA in TV is a social organization, not a controlling body. The controlling body is the Property Owner's Association (POA), definitely NOT optional and fees are $117/month which pays for upkeep of facilities, etc.

The POA rules are in a document called the Blue Book. I'll try to find it online and PM you the link. Fences are allowed but they need to be lower than I think 5 feet and can only be certain types. What we see are wrought iron style fences and picket fences, wood or vinyl. Six ft privacy fences are not allowed. You need to get a permit through the POA and they get to say yea or nay on the design. The thing about fences is that around here in TN almost no one has privacy fences. The lots are often somewhat private with trees and greenbelts around to help screen views of neighboring properties, but the views are much better without ugly privacy fences cluttering up the landscape. Most people who have dogs and no fence just walk the dogs regularly. This was a big adjustment for us. (We used to have 4 fenced acres). But I do prefer scenery to fences.

RV's are not allowed to be on your lot for more than 3 days at a time. We do have an RV/boat storage lot in the village and the rent there is very cheap (less than $50/month). Some nearby storage companies outside TV have covered spots for RV's. I'm sure they charge more.

There are a few walking paths within the village. One is wooded and gravel topped. The other one that I know of is the paved fitness trail that circles the Wellness Center and has exercise stations at 4 points. The only neighborhood with sidewalks is now being built. It is considered a downsizing neighborhood with single-story homes about 1400 sq ft and is walking distance to the grocery store and pharmacy. This is something new to cater to the older residents who maybe can't drive anymore. We also have volunteer drivers for those folks who can take them to appointments, etc. The rest of the village has no sidewalks but everyone walks their dogs on the side of the street. Most of the neighborhood streets are quiet with only residents' cars, not outside traffic, so driver's are generally courteous and will give you wide berth as they pass. Speed limits on residential streets are 25 mph.

I will be moving to TN in about 2 years for retirement. I will be looking for a neighborhood with sidewalks and within walking distance to some shopping, not because I won't be able to drive, but because I don't want to have to get into a car for every darn thing. I hear the same thing from many of my contemporaries: we want to be able to walk places just because we want to, not because we are unable to drive. Developers need to latch onto this trend....as it seems is happening in TV. I understand greenways are under development there, too. These are very desirable features that will help draw new retirees in!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM

34,809 posts, read 30,852,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I will be moving to TN in about 2 years for retirement. I will be looking for a neighborhood with sidewalks and within walking distance to some shopping, not because I won't be able to drive, but because I don't want to have to get into a car for every darn thing. I hear the same thing from many of my contemporaries: we want to be able to walk places just because we want to, not because we are unable to drive. Developers need to latch onto this trend....as it seems is happening in TV. I understand greenways are under development there, too. These are very desirable features that will help draw new retirees in!
Unless you live in the core neighborhoods of some of the cities in east TN, you're basically going to have to drive. East TN is just too lightly populated to have much of a walkable infrastructure that's not auto-centric.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:04 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,570,350 times
Nearest hospital to Tellico Village?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement