U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 05:19 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But 81 is not 90.
No it isn't. But you asked about living to 90 not past it, so he is in the decade that you seem to imply doesn't provide a life of enough quality to enjoy. And he was relating an anecdote of talking to someone in their 90s. I don't think you can just pick a number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 06:55 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yea, yeah, we all have anecdotes about someone who lived a long life but what does that have to do with the question here? Are you saying that because you know someone who lived to be 90+ that means you should also? I knew someone who won $7M in the lottery but that doesn't mean it will happen to me.
The anecdotes are to refute the idea that 90+ = decrepit and bed-bound.

As long as people I love are alive, I want to be alive.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:00 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,645,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The anecdotes are to refute the idea that 90+ = decrepit and bed-bound.

As long as people I love are alive, I want to be alive.
And there is always someone new to love. I'd love to see my grandkids have kids.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:05 AM

9,585 posts, read 8,888,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Yea, yeah, we all have anecdotes about someone who lived a long life but what does that have to do with the question here? Are you saying that because you know someone who lived to be 90+ that means you should also? I knew someone who won $7M in the lottery but that doesn't mean it will happen to me.
Exactly..people keep bringing up this guy or that...we KNOW there are exceptions. When they become the rule then I'll get on board.

Frankly one of the posters above had it right. If you are pain free, active and have all your faculties then live on! But that's one in ten at best at 90..

Old 04-01-2016, 07:09 AM

9,585 posts, read 8,888,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
No it isn't. But you asked about living to 90 not past it, so he is in the decade that you seem to imply doesn't provide a life of enough quality to enjoy. And he was relating an anecdote of talking to someone in their 90s. I don't think you can just pick a number.
Actually, I have stated in your 80's is still an active healthy lifestyle for many. It seems late 80's is the tipping point but you are right I guess you cant put a number on it. For some it's 80 , others it's 95. The point is when lifestyle deteriorates it's not worth it anymore.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 AM

20,136 posts, read 11,167,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And there is always someone new to love. I'd love to see my grandkids have kids.
That's what I said about my grandfather, who died at 102. Certainly, he was greatly saddened by the deaths of those he had grown up with--siblings, spouse, even a son--but he also reveled in the love of great-grandchildren. He would not have arbitrarily ended his vital life at 90 just to make sure he never had to see anyone he loved die first.

Heck, I'm in my 60s and people I knew are already dying.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 AM

20,136 posts, read 11,167,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly..people keep bringing up this guy or that...we KNOW there are exceptions. When they become the rule then I'll get on board.

Frankly one of the posters above had it right. If you are pain free, active and have all your faculties then live on! But that's one in ten at best at 90..
For a person who is 40 today, 90 is fifty years from now. You think gerontology is going to stand still for the next fifty years? Even people who might have, say, a genetic defect today can't state with certainty that the next fifty years won't find a solution. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. That's the kind of thing that someone needs to wait until the time actually arrives to determine.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:44 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
For a person who is 40 today, 90 is fifty years from now. You think gerontology is going to stand still for the next fifty years? Even people who might have, say, a genetic defect today can't state with certainty that the next fifty years won't find a solution. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. That's the kind of thing that someone needs to wait until the time actually arrives to determine.
I have a gift for oversimplification; there is more to the story than this but the likelihood is much greater that we will find a way to slow or stop the aging process than ever find a way to reverse it. Here is why...
We are born vastly underdeveloped and grow larger for roughly 18 years or so. Then we go through a period of slight additional development for only a few more years. After that, it is pretty much maintenance mode with new cells replacing old ones and over time we start making copies that are a little less perfect each time. The prevailing theory involves telomeres, which are part of our DNA strands. If they can figure out how to slow or prevent that degradation, we would not sag, shrink and wrinkle but could still succumb to diseases. It would be sort of a stasis - if you get it done in your 20s you will keep that body. If you are old when they figure that out, you stay old. They can't teach your already degraded copies to make good copies again because you don't have the originals anymore.
It may be possible to genetically engineer new parts from other DNA but the focus will likely shift to eradicating those diseases I spoke of earlier. It sounds cruel, but those whose DNA has already degraded will probably just be left to finish aging and die like all the generations before. It's not a sure thing that it could be reversed and if they get the first bit working then in a few years this problem will go away by itself...

Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
I don't want anyone taking care of me. My target date is 83.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:03 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,490,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do any of you really want to live to 90?

And we get a CHOICE?.... What are the options?

I lost a great friend last yr @ 96. He was driving his Mustang Cobra up until the day he died, and he had a LOT of fun into his 90's.

A nearby gal friend is driving her Subaru up and down a mtn daily at age 93, she has and continues to have a great life post age 90.

Me? I've been on borrowed time since age 49. Each day and new adventure is a gift (and that is a choice too)
Suicide is another option. Living another day (or not) is a choice we all make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or