U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 03:07 PM

71,535 posts, read 71,712,424 times

Advertisements

heck , i will live as long as i can . i know what i got going on here , i have no clue about the other side .

drop and roll may not work where i may be headed ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 03:08 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,371,350 times
I am age 69 now. If I were to live until age 90, that would 21 years from now. My youngest grandchild would be 25. So, yes, to see how my grands turn into adults is what my fondest hope is. I do doubt that I will live that long, but I would be blessed if I could live into my mid 80s. I want to see my grands graduate from HS, at the very least.

After age 90, I don't know. It would depend on my overall health, both physical and mental.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,545,657 times
I'm in my mid-40's now & am in fairly good shape. However, no way do I want to live to an age where I'll be infirm & unable to provide for my basic needs. I've done volunteer work in a nursing home & seeing people hanging by a thread, not being able to go to the bathroom on their own, etc. was extremely depressing & disheartening. Sure, some could live to be in their 90's & still be able to get around, but I don't know how often this actually occurs.

However, it's worth noting that the average life expectancy for an American male in 1910 was only 47 years old. People are living much longer these days due to advances in medicine, diet & food (i.e., refrigeration), etc.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:44 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,523,899 times
From an article in Government Executive on retirement:

David Sinclair, co-director of a lab on aging at Harvard Medical School, says, “over the last 10 years, my lab and many others around the world have shown that it’s not just possible to delay aging, but to reverse aspects of it. The first person to live to 150 has already been born.”

That's a scary thought that someone will live to be 150.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:44 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,572,689 times
My mother's cousin had a hip replacement done when he was 89. He died within a year. Cost him $50k. Personally I would rather see that 50k go for polio vaccines in Africa. If you can live to 90 or 100 without a lot of medical work, go for it. But a huge reason that US medical costs are so high is because of care given in the final year of the elderly. I think that is a bit selfish. There seems to be a sense of entitlement - I am gonna live as long as I can, dammit, whatever the cost. I just don't agree with that sentiment.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:50 PM

10,287 posts, read 4,865,859 times
TwoByFour - are you suggesting we euthanize people when they hit a certain age?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:58 PM

781 posts, read 594,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

There is no sanctuary.....

Old 04-01-2016, 04:44 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,572,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Read what I wrote. If someone can live to 100 without medical help that is fine. People have a choice, they can opt to live healthy on their own and not rely on doctors.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,545,657 times
Soylent Green is people!

If you don't understand how that film reference is relevant to this discussion, watch the movie. And, yes, I meant the comment to be tongue-in-cheek - hence the smiley face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post

There is no sanctuary.....
Logan's Run was an OK film - but, I highly recommend the 1967?! novel; it's far superior to the '70's film.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:53 PM

15,191 posts, read 4,018,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Read what I wrote. If someone can live to 100 without medical help that is fine. People have a choice, they can opt to live healthy on their own and not rely on doctors.
But the rubber has to meet the road somewhere.

It's not that old people are selfish - I'd put forward the theory that our entire system in the USA is predatory and it would rather make medical money from you (and from the government) than have you be healthy or pull the switch.

Anyway, what I am saying about the rubber is - what do you suggest for an 85 year old who is in terrible pain but replacing both hips may stop most of it?

There are only 3 choices I see here.

1. Have the operation
2. Fly to Switzerland one way and be done with it.
3. Live in horrible pain, perhaps for years, until you expire.

Our "morals" in the US of A seem to stop the topic of ending one's life before we get to a serious discussion. After all, the Lord Doth Not Approve according to the people who know.

I want to think I'll have the moxie to head to Switzerland when the time comes. But yet I don't see packed planes full of one-way passengers, so I assume most people think about this stuff but don't take action - and become yet another senior working the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or