U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 09:07 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,871,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can you explain to me why an able bodied 85 year old cannot just commit suicide here is the US? People do it everyday. There is no need to go abroad and it has nothing to do with the moral culture here in the US.
DIY suicide has many risks associated with "failure," not the least of which many of the supposedly "certain" means wind up leaving the person alive but crippled in body or mind or both. People flinch when they pull the trigger; they take enough drugs to cause brain damage but not death, or are saved by the EMTs; or generally, they manage to "survive." And for those with loved ones, those are invariably more traumatic.

There's also risks involved with getting others involved-- family members can be eager to hasten your death to get your stuff, or you're just a PITA to them; it could be a new profit center for unscrupulous medical entrepreneurs; or it could be a new form of eugenics, a la Logan's Run. But if I have the means of peacefully, painlessly ending my life at hand, under my sole control, and I make the sane, logical decision to do it, then that beats the heck out of pills, bullets, suicide by cop, driving into overpasses, nooses, experimenting with helium from Party City....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 10:46 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,551,106 times
Re: Logan's Run - again, this is a great novel. I first read this when I was in middle school over 30 years ago, and never get tired of this. Note there are two sequels that came out after the first one, Logan's World (1977) and Logan's Search (1980). All three are worth reading, IMHO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run

space1970: The LOGAN Trilogy

As to how this novel pertains to this thread - for those unfamiliar with this novel (and the film), the premise is that in the future, everyone who reaches the age of 21 is killed (in the movie the age is 30) - for the purposes of population control. Logan is a Sandman, i.e. someone who is tasked with going after & eliminating "Runners" - those who try to escape as they're getting close to their 21st birthdays. Ironically, Logan then ends up being a "runner" himself when he starts to reach age 21. The book is a great road trip across the U.S. (and other parts of the world), and is definitely one of my top 10 sci-fi novels.

Conversely, the 1976 film is fairly sub-par; they changed much of the story, and the effects are fairly poor - even by 1970's standards...

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-02-2016 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 11:08 AM

9,498 posts, read 5,290,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't get the infatuation with living very old. A nursing home? Barely being able to see, hear or walk is not living. Not having the ability to do things on my own is more frightening than dying. I look at even "healthy" 90 year olds and shudder. Not to mention the drain on our medical system and our families.

Thankfully modern medicine has allowed us to live happier and healthier well into our 80's and that's where we benefit. But until someone figures out how to slow the aging process...no thanks.

Please powers that be ...let me live well into my 80's (if I'm lucky) and then strike me down swiftly and efficiently
I know he's not popular on these boards but did you see that 106 year old woman who was so happy to meet Obama that she danced in the Oval Office? She looked great. She didn't seem to need much assistance with her mobility or any at all.

Why assume the worse will happen?

Old 04-02-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I know he's not popular on these boards but did you see that 106 year old woman who was so happy to meet Obama that she danced in the Oval Office? She looked great. She didn't seem to need much assistance with her mobility or any at all.

Because most of us believe - based on what we've seen in others - that when people start to get older their bodies start to break down. Granted, that doesn't happen with everyone but it happens with a lot of people. That's the reality.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:12 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,981,376 times
God Bless anyone who lives that long and enjoys a decent quality of life, meaning health. My grandparents (the three that I knew) all lived well into their 80s, and the last few years of their lives had a lot of discomfort and senility. As much as they were loved, I believe they earned their rest. I'd love to have a conversation with them now, but that isn't meant to be. I myself would like to maybe see mid 70s, so I had a chance to travel and spend my retirement money, and then check out before or at 80. That's more than enough for me.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:30 AM

Agreed - I've seen my elderly grandparents deteroriate as they've gotten older - very sad.

One of the many issues I have with the medical industry is that with all of the medicine/technology out there they've done a great job of prolonging the lives of the elderly - but the quality of this life is definitely not there. Again, I used to do volunteer work in nursing homes for years, and saw people there that were suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia. And, if their minds were clear - they still couldn't take care of their basic needs. They were obviously being kept alive by medication & assistance. Extremely depressing.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-02-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 01:33 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,587,050 times
No 95.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:21 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,529,524 times
Default Do any of you really want to live to 90?

Not if it can be naturally avoided. About 83 seems fine to me. The average age of assuming room temperature for men in my family is 71. I'd like to beat that; especially as I turn 70 in a few months. But 90 seems too old given current physical limitations thanks to a neurological disorder.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:00 PM

5,603 posts, read 5,125,166 times
My mom is 80 and acts like she's 90. She was an old lady even when I was a kid. Prissy and persnickety.

My dad is 81 and in an Alz facility with folks of a variety of ages. I was there today. I couldn't help imagining a carbon monoxide leak or other act of god that would be a mercy for them all. It's a quiet crisis that is growing in America and our culture is in for a bumpy ride.

So while I"m sure I will make more of all my elder years than my mom has, I don't wish to live too long.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 AM

9,585 posts, read 8,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Again..the rarest of the rare examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or