U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 25 days ago)

10,510 posts, read 14,343,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Again..the rarest of the rare examples.
Well 106 sure, pretty rare. But active and relatively healthy 80-90 yr olds aren't quite as unheard of as you're making them out to be either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 04:43 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,893,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well 106 sure, pretty rare. But active and relatively healthy 80-90 yr olds aren't quite as unheard of as you're making them out to be either.
At 80 yes definitely ..at 90 ..its rare to be super healthy. It does happen but this is about if you are not. I personally want to be checked out if I cant go at it relatively healthy. Why do we insist on spending tons of money keeping them alive is beyond me. Pain free ABSOLUTELY. Comfortable Absolutely.... Stretching lives out at that age? No

Old 04-03-2016, 05:15 PM

6,982 posts, read 3,879,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
At 80 yes definitely ..at 90 ..its rare to be super healthy. It does happen but this is about if you are not. I personally want to be checked out if I cant go at it relatively healthy. Why do we insist on spending tons of money keeping them alive is beyond me. Pain free ABSOLUTELY. Comfortable Absolutely.... Stretching lives out at that age? No

So how would this work? Who would get to make the decision? Who would carry it out, and how?

Old 04-03-2016, 06:43 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,076,017 times
After having some health scares the last couple of years, I am not as optimistic as I once was about living a long life. I never take anything for granted anymore.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 PM

[quote=kokonutty;43587864]So how would this work? Who would get to make the decision? Who would carry it out, and how?[/QUOTE

Not a clear cut answer is there...

Old 04-03-2016, 08:17 PM

890 posts, read 678,635 times
I could take a few aches, pains and other ailments and still be OK with wanting some more of life but the moment my personal hygiene starts slacking and I start smelling like my grandfather's closet, then maybe I'll say enough is enough and I'm ready to go.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:09 PM

8,980 posts, read 8,120,601 times
I know a lot of older people in their late 80s, and 90s that are healthier and more alive than a lot of 50 year olds that are in terrible shape. They cannot run as fast as they once did, but why do people want to run anyway. They can walk, and talk, and enjoy life. They still have their brains, and operate very well. I am one of them.

I cannot pickup and carry 200 pounds like I once did, but then again, I know a lot of young healthy out there that cannot do it either. Lifting and carrying 50 pounds is enough for me today. If I want heavy lifting done, I just hire someone to do it for me. In fact I did not do any heavy lifting after I left the ranch and went to the navy as my draft notice was in the post office box. I never worked at anything after that, that I could not do in a nice suite. Though I am 6'2" tall and weigh about 200 pounds and still a lot of that is muscle, I made my living using my brain not my back. As I proved you can make a lot more money using your brain than using your back.

Some on this thread think that old people are all feeble and losing their mind and should be put to sleep as they say, to make room for the young Turks. Most of us older people will not agree with you.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:23 AM

4,162 posts, read 2,591,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
So how would this work? Who would get to make the decision? Who would carry it out, and how?
Nobody has to make a decision other than the person himself. That means our attitudes about suicide have to change. It is stigmatized in this country; there must be something wrong with you if you decide that your time has come to depart. We do everything we can to prevent people from taking that step.

I think we all have the right to die when we want. It is a paradox that we have free choice about how we live our lives except for when it comes to dying.

Of course this will never come to pass. Families will be aghast if their loved ones can take their own lives at any time, even if they really really want to die and are miserable staying alive.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I know a lot of older people in their late 80s, and 90s that are healthier and more alive than a lot of 50 year olds that are in terrible shape. They cannot run as fast as they once did, but why do people want to run anyway. They can walk, and talk, and enjoy life. They still have their brains, and operate very well. I am one of them.

I cannot pickup and carry 200 pounds like I once did, but then again, I know a lot of young healthy out there that cannot do it either. Lifting and carrying 50 pounds is enough for me today. If I want heavy lifting done, I just hire someone to do it for me. In fact I did not do any heavy lifting after I left the ranch and went to the navy as my draft notice was in the post office box. I never worked at anything after that, that I could not do in a nice suite. Though I am 6'2" tall and weigh about 200 pounds and still a lot of that is muscle, I made my living using my brain not my back. As I proved you can make a lot more money using your brain than using your back.

Some on this thread think that old people are all feeble and losing their mind and should be put to sleep as they say, to make room for the young Turks. Most of us older people will not agree with you.
You know ALOT of people in their 90's ? I'd like to see that. Lol

Old 04-04-2016, 07:53 AM

662 posts, read 480,019 times
Looking at age through the eyes of your own age will come with bias. Who wants to be a 1 year old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or