U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 AM

29,779 posts, read 34,863,854 times

Advertisements

Live to 90? Oh yeah! Survive to 90 not as sure. I remember thinking years ago why would I want to be 70. Now bring it on. Time will only tell. Hopefully for many of us the expression by then will be 90 is the new 70. I am still contemplating what my virtual reality world will look like. Hopefully I will be able to see it. It won't be long from what I have read that people will be able to have sex with robots and what that will do to the Assisted Living home is anybodies guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM

5,935 posts, read 2,288,627 times
My father died in his late 70s and it was only his last year that he was in terrible health and home bound for the most part, he refused to go to a hospital so a nurse came in to see him several times a week. He was still of sound mind even the day we went up to see him and everyone knew he was in his last days. But he suffered for over 50 years from injuries occured on D-Day and smoked for over 40 years. My mother is now in her late eighties and has slown down cosiderably but is still better than she was 7 years ago as far as health and mobility goes. Back then she used a walker which she only uses now for getting groceries. The fact that she lives in her own apartment, and takes at least one cruise per year tells me that she is not suffering. She is not as sharp as she used to be but alot of people younger than her are not as sharp as she used to be. She is most likely going to a home this fall but mostly to be closer to my sister. If I was to be in the same health as she is at her age I would not have any trouble with living to 90. And phsyically I am in better shape than she was at my age.

My wife is in decent health as well. As long as both of us are heathly physically and mentally I would like to live. Before I am even 70 doctor assisted suicide will be legal so there is always that option. In our neighbourhood there were seveal older people living here that were reasonably active, some of them are gone either into a home or died but those left are still pretty active in their yards etc. And we have lived in our home for 23 years so some of them must be in their 90s.

Finanacially we have never been well off but also never poor, broke but never poor. I am having to work after 65 but I think that we can live comfortably and will be able to travel why we can and not run out of money before we hit 90. I hope so anyways. Travel may be just a little more expensive as since she has turned 60 my wife is a little less eager to tent it. mostly due to having to get out of it in the middle of the night. But even that is in our near future plans with the money set aside for a small older RV.

As long as we have each other and have our health then age is just a number.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:26 AM

4,065 posts, read 2,572,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
As long as we have each other and have our health then age is just a number.
And that sums it up "...as long as we have our health...".

Despite all the wonderful anecdotes here about people who live a long time, there are a lot of people who are only alive because the medical profession is keeping them propped up. I know don't want to be in that group. I think the real question in this thread is - what are you willing to put up with to stay alive until 90?

Old 04-04-2016, 11:40 AM

6,966 posts, read 3,865,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Nobody has to make a decision other than the person himself. That means our attitudes about suicide have to change. It is stigmatized in this country; there must be something wrong with you if you decide that your time has come to depart. We do everything we can to prevent people from taking that step.

I think we all have the right to die when we want. It is a paradox that we have free choice about how we live our lives except for when it comes to dying.

Of course this will never come to pass. Families will be aghast if their loved ones can take their own lives at any time, even if they really really want to die and are miserable staying alive.

They already can.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 PM

15,735 posts, read 26,766,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
LOL...who is projecting this? Insurance companies.
Prudential is. LOL

How to Live to 100 - Health.com

https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_buettn...00?language=en

100 Wonderful Ways To Live To 100

Could your child live to be 150 years old? | Daily Mail Online

'The first person to live to 150 has already been born.' | Public Radio International

Mission Immortality: Can we hope to live for 150 years and more? | brunch$feature | Hindustan Times

The age revolution: How to live to be 150 | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Old 04-04-2016, 01:05 PM

15,735 posts, read 26,766,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
heck , i will live as long as i can . i know what i got going on here , i have no clue about the other side .

drop and roll may not work where i may be headed ...
Plenty of people, my wife included have told me to go to hell at times. I am just hoping to keep this ride going as long as I can before I get there. My wife is actually an amazing woman. She puts up with me after all. I am going to miss her when I finally do die because I am positive she will be going to heaven after this life.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:11 PM

9,582 posts, read 8,884,814 times
They do drive all those live long studies...

I personally think we will level off with average age around 85-87. As long as our cells age the way they are.

The only 100 year olds out there are a gust of wind from death.

LOL..I was thinking ..being in your 90's is like running the gauntlet blindfolded. You may make it through to 100 and some do, but most likely something will get you.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,543,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
And that sums it up "...as long as we have our health...".

Despite all the wonderful anecdotes here about people who live a long time, there are a lot of people who are only alive because the medical profession is keeping them propped up. I know don't want to be in that group. I think the real question in this thread is - what are you willing to put up with to stay alive until 90?
I'll be 64 next month. I have identifyable problems, but I'm still feeling good. The assumption would be that I've felt better. But the truth is that I've had several major illnesses, and most of my twenties were a write off. I still have effects from that illness which I am used to, and they are just part of life. I had other problems resulting with a life endangering condition which came from that other, and had surgery about twenty years ago for that.

The chief continuing result is I don't absorb a lot of medications, and what and how good I get nutrients from food is unpredictable. I get tired easy. I've had problems with depression and mood swings. Medication is absorbed randomly, very bad for psych meds, so I have found other than medicated ways to deal with that. I've learned to adjust, and when something can't be I've learned to just deal.

Nothing about this is going to effect my last decades differently than it already has. But I'm in touch with my body, and my health is actually better now than it was for a long time. If you think in terms of maintaining your health, mine wasn't so well. But since the root cause was envirommental, an unlabeled toxic storage area, there was nothing to do but deal and go on.

I'm sure there will be changes but since I'm much better off now than my twenties I don't see them as so drastic. Been there, done that.

Should some calamity come along, I'll go on autopilot. I've learned that there is a button somewhere in me which kicks in survival mode. Maybe you never get it all back, but life is about the present, and what you make of it.

My last stand would be a home. I'm an introvert and people everywhere would engage stubborn and I would unendingly hate it. That would be my defination of too much. Take away my pets and my personal space and I'll see it as a prison.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 AM

4,065 posts, read 2,572,689 times
A lot of boomers over-medicated themselves with all the recreational drugs available in the 60's and 70's, ended up with Hep-C and shot livers. Look at all the rockers from that era that have died from liver failure - Lou Reed, Jack Bruce (the Cream), Paul Kanter (Jefferson Airplane), David Bowie. I am surprised that Keith Richards is still alive.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:01 AM

71,550 posts, read 71,712,424 times
looking at him , i think keith richards died a long time ago only no one told him .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or