U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 01:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 26,805,354 times

Advertisements

I was going to say, Keith Richards looks like death warmed over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:35 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,459,869 times
TwoByFour, I wouldn't say that a meager four people is "a lot of rockers have died of liver failure".

I also think David Bowie may have died from chain smoking his whole life, as smoking is also connected with liver cancer and liver failure.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:01 AM

11 posts, read 5,398 times
I don't think someone wakes up one day and says , you know what today I need to stop living and die due to age , unless they have suicide issues or something. I use to think when I was kid that a 50 year old was accent here I am today at 52 and feel like I am still 25 ,

My dad is 82 and tells me inside he feels 40 , but do to a stroke he had he lost some eye sight etc so thats what makes him feel his age now . until that stroke he did everything . he was 80 when he had the stroke .

Old 04-10-2016, 06:04 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,205,993 times
Do I want to live to be 90? Ask me again when I am 89.

Don

Old 04-10-2016, 06:41 AM

53 posts, read 30,105 times
How about 120?

Old 04-10-2016, 03:37 PM

8,980 posts, read 8,125,611 times
Quote:
You know ALOT of people in their 90's ? I'd like to see that. Lol
Then you have never lived in a metro area of 100,000 people and the majority are retired. I lived in St George Utah for 10 years. They had huge housing developments complete with golf courses for their residents, for people all over 60. There were several such developments. About 15% of them were in their 90s, and even into 100 plus (not a lot over 100) category. The city had a big dinner to honor those over 100 giving them a free meal to attend, and a lot of people came to honor them. A lot them are in such good shape, that one looking at them would have thought they were 30 years younger than their true age. It was not unusual to see several over 90 out there playing golf every day. St George and other such cities are real retirement destinations for huge numbers of people. A lot of them live into their 90s and stay healthy right up to near the end.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:56 PM

536 posts, read 632,891 times
I almost died in my 20s and have had a few serious issues since. I don't take any birthday for granted. But with what I know about illnesses and their ups and downs, my feeling is that I cannot answer that question.

How I feel about living depends on my health, and aside from trying to ensure a healthy lifestyle, there is no certainty on that. I am in better health just at the moment (I am 67) than I was at 27. That could change next week.

So it seems a waste of time to have a set age imagined as a limit to fix on, rather than considering, as I have, levels of health problems I probably can (or definitely cannot) deal with. Anyone could get Alzheimer's tomorrow; my dad died of that after 20 years, and I have seldom seen such suffering. I know someone my age who is so severely disabled that she has told me she is ready to "fade away." I have known breast cancer patients in their 20s who were ready to go. We are getting a memo to be ready to go when our body quits. I'll wait for the memo.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:58 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,896,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
I almost died in my 20s and have had a few serious issues since. I don't take any birthday for granted. But with what I know about illnesses and their ups and downs, my feeling is that I cannot answer that question.

How I feel about living depends on my health, and aside from trying to ensure a healthy lifestyle, there is no certainty on that. I am in better health just at the moment (I am 67) than I was at 27. That could change next week.

So it seems a waste of time to have a set age imagined as a limit to fix on, rather than considering, as I have, levels of health problems I probably can (or definitely cannot) deal with. Anyone could get Alzheimer's tomorrow; my dad died of that after 20 years, and I have seldom seen such suffering. I know someone my age who is so severely disabled that she has told me she is ready to "fade away." I have known breast cancer patients in their 20s who were ready to go. We are getting a memo to be ready to go when our body quits. I'll wait for the memo.
Good post ..I agree

Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 PM

25,889 posts, read 13,451,742 times
If I'm upright, mobile, not in too much pain and can recall half the items in my fridge then, hell, yeah.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:47 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but in answer to the thread title question I say, hello no, no way! Yes, I am aware some people in their ninties still have all their marbles as well as pretty good physical health. But the odds are not so good. Since we are all going to die anyway, I sure hope I am spared the probable misery of being that old. Recalling the cases of my mother and three different aunts gives me shudders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or