U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 PM

3,427 posts, read 3,981,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I wondered about her. So I guess the show has been off the air for a while?
Yes, it ran from 1996-2005 (I had to look it up). As with the Seinfeld cast, I can tell all the adults have aged alot since their show was in it's prime. Just like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 10:37 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,038,496 times
Cool Heavens yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't get the infatuation with living very old. A nursing home? Barely being able to see, hear or walk is not living. Not having the ability to do things on my own is more frightening than dying. I look at even "healthy" 90 year olds and shudder. Not to mention the drain on our medical system and our families.

Thankfully modern medicine has allowed us to live happier and healthier well into our 80's and that's where we benefit. But until someone figures out how to slow the aging process...no thanks.

Please powers that be ...let me live well into my 80's (if I'm lucky) and then strike me down swiftly and efficiently

I am praying to live to be 100! There are so many things I have yet to do it seems almost like even then I won't be able to do all I want and experience all I want. I will be 65 in August and feel like I'm just getting started.
Of course, I realize that in order to enjoy that life I have to take care of myself, try to remain as healthy as possible, and that ultimately I'll go when it's my time to go. But for example one of my paternal aunts just turned 89, and except for a little arthritis, she is the same as she has been all these years. Maybe a little slower, yes, but all in all she is great and enjoying life.

I want to be like Beatrice Wood, who when Diane Sawyer asked her when she was 98 "to what do you attribute your longevity", she didn't miss a beat and replied, with a twinkle in her eye: "Chocolates and younger men."

She went on to live until she was 104 I think, and though she was a well known "potter", she wrote her first book of erotica when she was 101.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:21 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,524,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I want to be like Beatrice Wood, who when Diane Sawyer asked her when she was 98 "to what do you attribute your longevity", she didn't miss a beat and replied, with a twinkle in her eye: "Chocolates and younger men."
My former wife's paternal grandmother lived to be just shy of 102. When she turned 100 the local newspaper interviewed her and asked her the same question. Her response was, "Brandy Manhattans!"

The ex's maternal grandmother live to 89 and her mother to 94. Given the longevity on the distaff side of her family I reckon she'll live to be 110 out of spite.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:35 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,462,764 times
MagnoliaThunder at #202,

I agree! great post!!

Old 04-23-2016, 05:50 PM

I have 6 generations in my longevity history on my maternal. To put this in perspective, my GRANDFATHER's grandmother was still alive, and he was a great grandfather. The baby was my 2nd cousin, who was born a month after me. The line was my mother's oldest sister (#1 of 5 girls, my mother was #4, all a year apart). The grandmother was 104 at the time, and her daughter (grandfather's mother) was 84.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:21 AM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I have 6 generations in my longevity history on my maternal. To put this in perspective, my GRANDFATHER's grandmother was still alive, and he was a great grandfather. The baby was my 2nd cousin, who was born a month after me. The line was my mother's oldest sister (#1 of 5 girls, my mother was #4, all a year apart). The grandmother was 104 at the time, and her daughter (grandfather's mother) was 84.
Right now we have a 5 generation line going. My mom says she wants to live to 100, so might make it to 6 generations living.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:35 PM

Hoping the goal is reached! It is unique, that's for sure.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:01 PM

13,054 posts, read 15,420,771 times
If I could be totally healthy up until that age, yes. Otherwise, no. I always say the lucky people are the ones who are living a full life and just drop over dead one day and never have to go through any kind of physical decline prior to their death.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,550,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I always say the lucky people are the ones who are living a full life and just drop over dead one day and never have to go through any kind of physical decline prior to their death.
Agreed. I hope I'm one of those people that go suddenly in my sleep, without any prior warning.

I'm in my 40's, and about 15 years ago one of my friends (in her 30's at the time) died very unexpectedly of a sudden stroke/heart attack; she appeared to be in good health beforehand, and wasn't sick/in the hospital, etc. Obviously she had health issues, but it wasn't apparent before she passed. Though at the time I & others thought it was extremely sad (especially considering she was so young), in retrospect I'm glad she didn't suffer.

Conversely, I've seen people in convalescent homes (both older & younger people) who are in very bad shape health-wise; many/most of them can't go to the bathroom by themselves, can't bathe themselves, can barely get up and walk around, and can't even feed themselves in some cases. They're being kept alive by pills and/or machines. This kind of life is horrific, and I really hope I never get to that point...

Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,877,585 times
Absent pain and/or boredom, I would adore living fully until I die--whether at 90 or beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or