U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 08:35 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,940,494 times

Advertisements

The posts about active, involved 90+ folks are wonderful. But too often at that age, people are just existing with so many health problems their quality of life is practically non-existent. I don't want to live one day past the time when I can take care of myself and am in full control of my capabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 08:54 AM

10,730 posts, read 21,375,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't get the infatuation with living very old. A nursing home? Barely being able to see, hear or walk is not living. Not having the ability to do things on my own is more frightening than dying. I look at even "healthy" 90 year olds and shudder. Not to mention the drain on our medical system and our families.

Thankfully modern medicine has allowed us to live happier and healthier well into our 80's and that's where we benefit. But until someone figures out how to slow the aging process...no thanks.

Please powers that be ...let me live well into my 80's (if I'm lucky) and then strike me down swiftly and efficiently
Do any of you really want to live to 90?

My son's great gram lived to 6 days shy of her 108th birthday. She had lost most of her eye sight by this time but she wasn't blind. Since turning 100, she's said a person could live too long and I'm sure she thought about that very often in the next 8 years. All I know is I feel she was determined to not live till 108.

I haven't known too many people that lived to over 90 that I saw on a regular basis. My hubs grandmother passed at 97; she was in pretty good shape when she went.

I was very close to my neighbor from my old house. I still saw him after we moved, I also cared for him for a month or so after a fall. He was one that refused to give up driving. Crashed 3 cars in 2 years when DMV finally pulled his license. He failed the test twice and was on his last try when his stomach area hernia strangled his intestines to death. I don't know how his hernia wasn't questioned because he was admitted to the hospital a few times in the last 2 years of his life. They had given him heart surgery a month before. Had they taken care of the hernia, I could see him living into his 90's but he passed at 87.

If I could be like my old neighbor and hubs gram then living into my 90's may not be bad but I honestly can't imagine living another 40 years.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:12 AM

566 posts, read 267,828 times
I have known quite a few in their 90's with good lives, if that were the case for me, I'd love it.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:15 AM

26,011 posts, read 33,025,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't get the infatuation with living very old. A nursing home? Barely being able to see, hear or walk is not living. Not having the ability to do things on my own is more frightening than dying. I look at even "healthy" 90 year olds and shudder. Not to mention the drain on our medical system and our families.

Thankfully modern medicine has allowed us to live happier and healthier well into our 80's and that's where we benefit. But until someone figures out how to slow the aging process...no thanks.

Please powers that be ...let me live well into my 80's (if I'm lucky) and then strike me down swiftly and efficiently
I'd love to live until 90, if I was still healthy. My dad is 92 and played golf up until last year.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 AM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'd love to live until 90, if I was still healthy. My dad is 92 and played golf up until last year.
I figure if i make it to 80, anything after that is gravy...the lumpy tasteless kind.

Im actually already on borrowed time, i died at work at age 31, 24 years ago. Anaphylactic shock resulting in my death, so dont fool around if you have an allergic reaction!!! Had i been at home instead of at work working with walking pneumonia, i would not be here!

My maternal grandmother lived to 92, my paternal grandfather lived to 92. My father is to be 85 this year. My FIL ( not blood of course) is to be 91 this year.

My maternal grandfather died due to accident, my paternal grandmother died due to cancer, my mother passed from complications of a deadly disease.

So, for me it might be a crapshoot. Already been tested for the disease my mother had, and i dont have that proclivity, thanks goodness.

I certainly dont want to sit in a wheelchair pooping and peeing and drooling myself at a certain old age just "to live longer". Thats where ill draw the line, and ill stop eating if i have to to hasten the finale.

But by my health challenges, i dont expect to live much past 80, if i make it that far even.

Dont know.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 AM

43,564 posts, read 52,710,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yup.
My wife's grandmother (in her 90s) had just hosted a tea at her own home where she lived by herself right before she died suddenly of a stroke.
Both my grandmothers had nice, independent lives until they suddenly died (hours to a couple days) surrounded by loved ones in their own homes in their early 90s.

That sounds fine to me.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:46 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I do. I had 2 family members live into their mid '90's. I have children and grandchildren and while I won't be playing pickup soccer games with my grandson's soccer team like I did with my son I would still like to see them grow up get married and have kids.
and watch them get divorced, become drug addicted, commit suicide, be hurt in so many ways. No thank you.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:52 AM

1,754 posts, read 1,657,002 times
It depends entirely on health and mobility. I don't want to be bedridden or house bound, blind and deaf, or with a wasting type disease for 10-15 years to make 90, but I know enough folks in their late eighties who are still traveling and fully functional - they all hope and expect to make it to their nineties, and their lives are still full.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:06 AM

13,262 posts, read 6,351,451 times
I knew one who lived till 104, I talked to her when she was in her late 90s, she came from the same region as my grand parents and it was a pleasure to talk to her. I know nothing about my grand parents when they were younger. She’s sharp, her daughter told me she knew which video she has watched before. It’s not all pain and suffering.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:30 AM

26,011 posts, read 33,025,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
and watch them get divorced, become drug addicted, commit suicide, be hurt in so many ways. No thank you.
Yikes. Someone has a dire outlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or