U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 10:32 AM

25,976 posts, read 32,984,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I figure if i make it to 80, anything after that is gravy...the lumpy tasteless kind.

Im actually already on borrowed time, i died at work at age 31, 24 years ago. Anaphylactic shock resulting in my death, so dont fool around if you have an allergic reaction!!! Had i been at home instead of at work working with walking pneumonia, i would not be here!

My maternal grandmother lived to 92, my paternal grandfather lived to 92. My father is to be 85 this year. My FIL ( not blood of course) is to be 91 this year.

My maternal grandfather died due to accident, my paternal grandmother died due to cancer, my mother passed from complications of a deadly disease.

So, for me it might be a crapshoot. Already been tested for the disease my mother had, and i dont have that proclivity, thanks goodness.

I certainly dont want to sit in a wheelchair pooping and peeing and drooling myself at a certain old age just "to live longer". Thats where ill draw the line, and ill stop eating if i have to to hasten the finale.

But by my health challenges, i dont expect to live much past 80, if i make it that far even.

Dont know.

Well I don't think any of us want a life like that. I have long-life genes in my family, so I am doing everything I can to stay as strong and healthy as possible. I think I am going to be around a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 10:34 AM

1,765 posts, read 566,001 times
I used to say I was going to live to be 110 and drive a 427 Cobra roadster. I’m 70 now, and do drive a beasty roadster but that 110 thing is looking like a lot of youthful naivety. I am seriously not looking forward to 90s, if I make it that far.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:56 AM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
Not that Iíll likely have much say in the matter, but I only want to live to 90 if Iím in reasonable physical and mental shape. Quality of life matters, maybe even more than quantity. The ideal would be to die just before youíre unable to take care of yourself and enjoy life to some degree, but the existence of such things as long term care insurance and nursing homes amply show that doesnít always happen.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:35 AM

56,026 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The posts about active, involved 90+ folks are wonderful. But too often at that age, people are just existing with so many health problems their quality of life is practically non-existent. I don't want to live one day past the time when I can take care of myself and am in full control of my capabilities.
Neither does my 90-year-old mother. She is quite surprised that she made this age and grateful to have her mental faculties and be able to live in her own home. My mother was always the one who took care of everybody else--her mentally challenged sister who also had CP; my double amputee father when his stumps got infected; my grandmother after her second heart attack at 89; and finally my brother, who died at 51 after a long illness. She does not want to be the one lying there being taken care of.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:40 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,014,813 times
OP, no. 85 is my max. I want to be born again after that.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:26 PM

77 posts, read 33,412 times
No I really donít. I know that there are rare cases of very elderly people who are extremely active and in apparent good health. Having worked in a geriatric clinic for many years however, skewed my view of things. Most of the people that I saw in their late 80s to the 90s were very frail in need of assistance with most activities of daily living, weíre on able to live independently, and had lost quite a bit of their mobility.

I would rather go out, if I had a choice of course, in my sleep, in fairly good health, with out any pain, lol.

Realistically though that is not likely to happen. Our bodies fail us, sometimes our minds. I would prefer to avoid the situation if it all possible. Definitely would not like to live past 80.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:03 PM

3,154 posts, read 5,190,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesmarcelina158 View Post
No I really donít. I know that there are rare cases of very elderly people who are extremely active and in apparent good health. Having worked in a geriatric clinic for many years however, skewed my view of things. Most of the people that I saw in their late 80s to the 90s were very frail in need of assistance with most activities of daily living, weíre on able to live independently, and had lost quite a bit of their mobility.
The people who have made it to 90+ years of age and are still very alert, physically active, and still in apparent good health, are going to be exceptions; but it may not appear to be that way, because those are the ones still out in the public eye, as opposed to most who are still living at that age whose condition at that point has them either homebound, or confined to a nursing home/convalescent care facility, or assisted living. Those people are either rarely or never seen in public, so it may seem like they don't exist. But don't be fooled.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:44 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,283 times
I have always thought if I can get 80 good years that will be about right.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:47 AM

6,552 posts, read 1,348,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I figure if i make it to 80, anything after that is gravy...the lumpy tasteless kind.
Thanks for allowing me to start my day with a laugh!!

Anyway, to answer the question, NO, I definitely don't want to live to be 90. Three out of my four grandparents lived to 92, and they were mostly okay until then (and my two grandmothers were very active and enjoyed life as octogenarians), but then dementia set in. (Just one of those weird coincidences, I guess. My maternal grandfather was the exception, and he died of a heart attack at 79.) Given the choice, I would rather die of a heart attack at 79 then live spend the last months or years of my life in a nursing home or an ALF. Even though the other three grandparents did

So, yes, I am one of those people who think that the quality of life is MUCH more important than quantity of life.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:51 AM

6,552 posts, read 1,348,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post

I suspect something similar might happen to some of those who now say that they wouldn't want to live to a certain age. We really cannot know how we feel about the choice between living and dying until something happens to actually throw that situation in front of us for real.
That is SO true, I think, and I am very glad things turned out well with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or