U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:35 PM

365 posts, read 91,680 times

Advertisements

MIL is 94 and just starting her decline. She still drives, lives alone, cooks and cleans for herself. Her mobility is declining somewhat (she now uses a cane for a balance aid. Her mother lived to be 104. She was only be ridden for about a week. My neighbor actually reroofed his home by his lonesome when he was 90. he was an old farmer and worked his farm until he was 94. He was an active gardener and walking around until he was 98. He got cancer and decided not to fight it.

Oh and I almost forgot. My uncle is 98, recently stopped driving and is now in a ALF, mostly because he is a widow and never learned to cook. Essentially he is the lone rooster in a hen house and getting plenty of action. Apparently he is quite the stud. He thinks it is a sick twist of fate, when he was young he had to work for it, now he claims they come clawing at the door to his room.

My point is, it all depends.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 03-26-2019 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: added uncle info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM

9,790 posts, read 17,006,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
MIL is 94 and just starting her decline. She still drives, lives alone, cooks and cleans for herself. Her mobility is declining somewhat (she now uses a cane for a balance aid. Her mother lived to be 104. She was only be ridden for about a week. My neighbor actually reroofed his home by his lonesome when he was 90. he was an old farmer and worked his farm until he was 94. He was an active gardener and walking around until he was 98. He got cancer and decided not to fight it.

Yep, agree. My grandmother died in her late 90's, and she lived by herself, cooked and cleaned, etc. When she went downhill, she went pretty fast, but she had a good quality of life well into her 90's. The only regular medicine she was on was blood pressure pills.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:51 PM

33,914 posts, read 42,175,279 times
Why would anyone want to stop at 90?

Old 03-26-2019, 02:56 PM

6,579 posts, read 8,114,719 times
Mom is 95 living well. I want to be like her

Old 03-26-2019, 04:17 PM

3,697 posts, read 1,876,337 times
Sure I would LOVE to live to 90!

Old 03-26-2019, 04:58 PM

676 posts, read 1,329,279 times
Shortly after I retired, I took a very part-time job providing in-home care for some elderly women. It was quite interesting and educational to spend time with these very old women. All but one was over 90. Two had early dementia--one of whom really enjoyed talking about her younger years--She was my favorite. Another was in a wheelchair, very quiet and not physically comfortable. One was on oxygen (COPD) and enjoyed being a bit devious, but was often unhappy with her present life. Her husband had died suddenly, the night before they closed on their retirement home. A couple women were quiet and thoughtful, happy observing whatever was going on, but without much participation. About half seemed quite healthy and half had problems. My point is that 90 year olds vary a lot. Some (even with dementia) seem quite intelligent when they are lucid.

For myself, as long as I'm not in a lot of pain, I am okay with extreme old age. If I've had enough, I will do as others and quit eating and drinking.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:23 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,076,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post

Oh and I almost forgot. My uncle is 98, recently stopped driving and is now in a ALF, mostly because he is a widow and never learned to cook. Essentially he is the lone rooster in a hen house and getting plenty of action. Apparently he is quite the stud. He thinks it is a sick twist of fate, when he was young he had to work for it, now he claims they come clawing at the door to his room.

Perhaps he is losing it and thinks he is a stud and the clawing at his door is a cat loose in the facility.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:30 PM

8,976 posts, read 2,777,486 times
My dear FIL lived to 93. He lived on his own, had a girlfriend (who had her own place) and was very happy until the last two months of his life when he had to have surgery and it went downhill from there. His girlfriend is still living. She is 94 and just within the past few months moved into an independent living facility. She's still very active playing bridge, attending exercise classes, visiting with friends. They are the lucky ones. If I could live like them, I wouldn't mind living to 90. But they have kids and we don't, so there is that.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:33 PM

3,463 posts, read 1,543,057 times
I think I already said it, but it bears repeating---NO.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:52 PM

148 posts, read 55,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't get the infatuation with living very old. A nursing home? Barely being able to see, hear or walk is not living. Not having the ability to do things on my own is more frightening than dying. I look at even "healthy" 90 year olds and shudder. Not to mention the drain on our medical system and our families.

Thankfully modern medicine has allowed us to live happier and healthier well into our 80's and that's where we benefit. But until someone figures out how to slow the aging process...no thanks.

Please powers that be ...let me live well into my 80's (if I'm lucky) and then strike me down swiftly and efficiently
I'm with you OP. I've worked in healthcare my entire career and from my experience it is a very rare 90+ year old that is not extremely diminished in most of their faculties and is in need of nearly constant care. Nothing I see is worth being that old. Please let me slip away +/- 85 years old peacefully and quickly and without burden on my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or