Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

90 can mean a lot to different people.

I've had a few family members linger in nursing homes mentally debilitated by Alzheimer's or other dementias for many years until 90, being skulls full of mush for a couple decades. I've known other, better men working at that age.

I went to the same barber here, Ed, for many years. He was born in 1926 in Barbourville. Kentucky - my old stomping grounds - sixty years older than me. We had a lot of similar interests - Reds baseball, Republican politics, Southern culture, etc. He last cut my hair around Christmas 2017 - he turned 91 in June 2017. I went back a month or so later, and Ed wasn't there - the younger man, Clarence, (who was 67 then) that Ed sold the business to, ran Ed down the road in front of me, saying he was lazy, wouldn't do anything, etc. Ed founded that shop after his service in Korea (on top of brief WWII service), and I damn near socked Clarence in the mouth for the disrespect, who never served a day in his life, in the face. Ed came back for a bit, citing his wife's hip fracture. I drove by a few times, only coming back when Ed's blue Dakota was there.

Ed turned 91 shortly before he last cut my hair in December. He somehow found my work number, called me in March 2018, and I took him out to Shoney's a week or two later. He seemed fine. He called me a couple weeks later and we talked about fifteen minutes. He died unexpectedly in June (as unexpected as it can be for 91) 2018. His wife died a couple months later.

I didn't hear about his funeral until his grandson, whom I went to school with but who didn't know I knew Ed, told me months later. I keep the little funeral bulletin thing on my dresser mirror. Ed was like another grandfather to me after my papaw died. Ed was more of a grandfather to me than my living grandfather ever was.

If I can go out like Ed, being helpful and useful to others until my last few months, I'd consider myself successful. I'd consider myself successful if I can be half the man Ed was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 09:19 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Yes, if I am in good health in all aspects. I met someone who was 105 years old; her mind was still clear, though she had trouble walking unassisted.

I have also met 80-somethings who were still doing physical activities (vigorous kayaking, difficult hiking) that young people struggle with. These older, active folks are my role models.

When I think how the years from 30-something to 60-something have flown by, youdambetcha I want to have 30 more years of excellent condition to enjoy the greater freedom (from working and from high financial stress) I now have!

Old 03-27-2019, 10:08 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
My mom is 95, she drives herself in town, she lives by herself on 5 acres just outside of town. She sings in the church choir, is a docent at the museum one day a week. She walks 2 miles in doors at Walmart Super center near here and takes no meds. She use to walk outdoors in ok weather, but now battles some skin cancer on her face so stays in doors to walk now. She has done this all her life, walked, eat right and followed trends like juicing from back when juicers were first available for home use. Her mind is sharp, she remembers more about my life than I do. She quilts and keeps busy water coloring.

Like I said earlier, I hope I can be like mom. She enjoys her many grand kids and great grand kids and life its self

Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I think like most things, you have to have the desire to do it, whether or not you get there is another story.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:08 AM

616 posts, read 341,155 times
I sure do. My mother is still with us, just celebrated 92, still in own apartment, still drives, is out doing stuff with friends 3 to 4 nights a week. Why not??

Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times
I hope I live to at least 85 with all my wits about me.
Actually, I'd like to die having sex----"Come and Go at the same time"
BaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 03-27-2019, 01:14 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,205 times
I would encourage all of you interested in this topic to review the videos associated with this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXqkHvs0po

This video is when she in 93, but she lived till she was 98. If you watch all the videos you will see there is point where she was shooting for 100 but then apparently had a change of mind and decided to go (it is implied not overt)

But from what I inferred she was still living alone pretty much up until the end. And clearly from the videos she was very active into her mid to late 90s.

This video marks her passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ZjKl-d2Tc

I would say that was one life well lived. What a beautiful human being.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
I would encourage all of you interested in this topic to review the videos associated with this link.

This video is when she in 93, but she lived till she was 98. If you watch all the videos you will see there is point where she was shooting for 100 but then apparently had a change of mind and decided to go (it is implied not overt)

But from what I inferred she was still living alone pretty much up until the end. And clearly from the videos she was very active into her mid to late 90s.

This video marks her passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ZjKl-d2Tc

I would say that was one life well lived. What a beautiful human being.
This is great! I reposted on Facebook as people need to take this young man's advice and get to know older folks. They have a wealth of information that we need to hear

Old 03-27-2019, 03:22 PM

130,228 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Only if I am full command of all my facilities & body functions.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:05 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,008,959 times
If at age 66, if I felt like I was 40, then yes 90 might be a viable goal. But I don't feel like 40. I have several chronic joint problems, digestive issues, and motivational problems in getting the obligations of daily life done. None life threatening, but I see long term care 10 years down the road, with no family support. 14 years alone in a nursing home isn't appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement