U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:47 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,586,747 times

Advertisements

NO! I can't think of a worse fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
No, I live forever through my kids. One is much improved version of my husband, the other is also a much improved version of myself, they have all new body parts.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:07 AM

15 posts, read 11,684 times
Default no, thanks

I have no interest in living to 90. Or 80, for that matter.
All the women in my family deteriorate very quickly after age 60....every one of us.

My mother chose her own exit, at age 73. Too sick, too much pain.
We have no choice over our entrance to this Rock....we DO have a choice about our Exit.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:12 PM

3,516 posts, read 5,673,079 times
You know when the medical field comes up with things you can do to 'prolong your life'? Lose 10% of your body weight and live 10 more years, start drinking red wine and live another 5 years, stop smoking and live another 12, join a club and live 4 years longer . . .

Well, the thing is, those extra years are NOT the ones between 24 and 34 - they are the years between 86 and 90. And maybe you will live longer but it's really quality, not quantity. PLUS I'm not sure I can AFFORD to live 4 more years?

As a baby boomer . . . those independent living and skilled nursing places are going to be pretty full!

(I wonder if they will play Crosby Stills and Nash and show Woodstock for the weekly film on the big TV in the social room???)

PS. I LOVE this story . . . suspect it has been noted here already - I'm new to the thread:
http://www.people.com/article/90-yea...ment-road-trip

Old 03-31-2016, 12:57 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,029,874 times
No I do not want to live to be 90. I am mid 70s now and while doing well certainly notice it is harder to get around and not quite as sharp as I used to be. I truly wish that assisted suicide was legal in my state so that when I can no longer care for my self I am not a burden to family.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,069,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I don't get the infatuation with living very old. A nursing home? Barely being able to see, hear or walk is not living. Not having the ability to do things on my own is more frightening than dying. I look at even "healthy" 90 year olds and shudder. Not to mention the drain on our medical system and our families.

Thankfully modern medicine has allowed us to live happier and healthier well into our 80's and that's where we benefit. But until someone figures out how to slow the aging process...no thanks.

Please powers that be ...let me live well into my 80's (if I'm lucky) and then strike me down swiftly and efficiently

You are presuming that 80 - 90 yr old's are infirm and live in nursing homes. This misconception is Hollywood's portrayal not reality.

It is common for young people to fear turning 30 let alone aging to 80 or 90. As you mature you will understand that life does not stop, lifestyles gradually change. They are just as rewarding as in youth and in some ways even more so.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:04 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,880,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
You are presuming that 80 - 90 yr old's are infirm and live in nursing homes. This misconception is Hollywood's portrayal not reality.

It is common for young people to fear turning 30 let alone aging to 80 or 90. As you mature you will understand that life does not stop, lifestyles gradually change. They are just as rewarding as in youth and in some ways even more so.
I'm not young..but thank you. Nobody said 80 by the way. With the advances in modern meds, and healthier lifestyle you SHOULD be alive and well at 80.

I just don't see many NINETY year olds with a lifestyle worth living...hence the thread. Yes, there are exceptions. Just like there are 70 year olds on deaths door.

The deterioration occurred in people's 70's 30-40 years ago. Today that same deterioration occurs in the 80's.

I was thinking of this thread today. Was at the pharmacy recently talking to a 91 year old fella. He was great had his wits. Used a walker to get around. Then I watched him walk out in slow careful steps/ It took him 10 minutes to go 100 feet. And he was healthy relatively speaking. I guess that's cool that he can walk at all but damn...no thanks for me.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:28 PM

20,077 posts, read 11,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

I was thinking of this thread today. Was at the pharmacy recently talking to a 91 year old fella. He was great had his wits. Used a walker to get around. Then I watched him walk out in slow careful steps/ It took him 10 minutes to go 100 feet. And he was healthy relatively speaking. I guess that's cool that he can walk at all but damn...no thanks for me.

The man still has his wits, but it takes him too long to walk 100 feet.

It takes Stephen Hawking even longer to walk 100 feet. I guess he should have checked out long ago, eh?

Old 03-31-2016, 02:42 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,880,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The man still has his wits, but it takes him too long to walk 100 feet.

It takes Stephen Hawking even longer to walk 100 feet. I guess he should have checked out long ago, eh?
I see the point and I agree ..maybe when I'm 90 I'd accept that life. He just looked so pained. Each step was rough ..

Old 03-31-2016, 02:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 631,673 times
90 is the new 80.....keep on rolling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or