U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 06:09 AM

480 posts, read 400,342 times

Advertisements

Because, for them, it's just the result of distraction, and maybe incompetence. Probably, they would think of it as a forgivable error that "anybody could make."

The Old Person moment is when you realize "I used to be able to remember this stuff with no problems. Now I have to focus harder, or I'll forget." It's the mental equivalent of "I used to be able to eat all I wanted and not gain weight. Now, though...."

I have been absent-minded all my life, so it is not alarming to me when I am absent-minded now, and I don't attribute it to aging. Only recently have I begun to experience the annoyance of not being able to think of the right word every time. So, I attribute that to age-related brain degeneration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
How do you tell two young women probably less than half your age that they have had the senior moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:01 AM

10,312 posts, read 4,881,597 times
My worst is remembering words and I mean simple words in some cases. One day I couldn't remember how to spell the word "who". In my mind I was trying to spell it out, hoo, how, etc. It was a little scary, happened again recently with another simple word which I can't remember!

I couldn't think of the word passenger one day and referred to it as the drive-ee. My late husband got a kick of it. I turned the burner on under the wrong pot and melted my teapot onto the burner. When I asked my doctor about it he said I was okay as long as I remembered what the stove was actually used for.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:28 AM

6,322 posts, read 3,583,841 times
When I go to my ophthalmologist now they give me a largish laminated card that says Stop at the appointment desk and make an appointment before you leave to carry when I leave the doctor's exam room. Now all I have to do is remember I have the "old peoples'" card in my hand or I'll notice it when I get in the parking lot!

But I did one up them on a recent appointment when I was told to schedule for September and I said I already had one for September. She checked the computer and said that I didn't. But when I got home, sure enough there was the original one on the calendar and now my new one. Will have to remember to call them and cancel one.

So it's variable. Some days I'm on top of things and other days I'm more distracted. I do take advantage of all the aids provided to help us more mature folks. They also send out an email and give me a phone call and I appreciate the prompts. Life's too busy with interesting things to keep dates and times in my overstocked memory storage.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 AM

13,252 posts, read 6,351,451 times
It's a long list, I'm not keeping track. I'm not even senior yet as I don't get senior discount.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM

5,035 posts, read 3,222,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I'm sure we've had a similar thread before but these moments keep happening. Here's my latest.

I got a notification from the library that a couple of books I had requested were now on the hold shelf for me. I went to the library, chatted with an old friend I saw there, looked around the bestseller tables, and hunted in the stacks for some books by an author I like. I checked out my selections, went home, and then realized I hadn't picked up the books that were on hold for me. That's why I was there! What the heck? I hate becoming a cliche.

What's yours?
Went into a tire shop and my wallet was fat $1,200 and so I select the tires and get the agreement signed and then PAY WITH MY CC and then leave, get home and think "Wait, did I pay with?" and then find the cash in wallet...Good thing the bank was close, I just drove there and paid the amount on the CC...silly!

Old 03-31-2016, 12:01 PM

12,026 posts, read 5,142,014 times
Ever go into a gas station, pay for gas, go back out to the car and drive away without putting the gas in your car? I could blame that on a senior moment, but I did that when I was in my 30s. Just goes to show you stuff happens to everyone at all ages.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Ever go into a gas station, pay for gas, go back out to the car and drive away without putting the gas in your car? I could blame that on a senior moment, but I did that when I was in my 30s. Just goes to show you stuff happens to everyone at all ages.

Oh, bummer!

You are right - senior moments happen at any age. I was in my 20s when I made a hamburger - went to get the ketchup out of the frig - sat down to eat my burger - looked down and I had the ketchup in front of me. Opened the frig and there was my burger - naturally I had a witness.

That was funny then, now it would be a big deal.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 PM

18,124 posts, read 23,000,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vespa View Post
"To" often or "too" often?
Two anal.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 PM

3,851 posts, read 9,447,257 times
This reminds me of a joke I heard the other day:

At our age we are starting to think a lot more about the hereafter. Every day I walk in a room and ask myself 'what am I here after"?

But yes before we hit this age, we'd refer to it as spacing out. Now it's a senior moment, but I will admit they happen far more frequently than I'd like to admit.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:17 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,706,096 times
One win for the seniors! Yea! But truly, all seniors should be called to remind them of appointments. It's a good fail-safe method, benefiting both the providers and the patients! My senior moments are frequent (daily), but I have coping methods for the more important things. I find written lists help and calendar notes are useful. For shopping I'm pretty much lost without a list, since I live in the country and shop less frequently than most inside the city. Also, I'm ADD and the coping methods are similar. Being a senior ADD person can be doubly problematic. I've had focus & memory problems all my life. I use the term "organized" as what I try to achieve, not what I am.
Edited: forgot the notes I tape to the bottom of the computer monitor. My new med for cholesterol is taken every two weeks, so it goes on the calendar and when it's within a few days, the note goes on the monitor. Then I need to take it out of frig that morning, let it warm up, and inject it after without forgetting it. Then I have the permanent notes...take my other meds, put garbage out on Tuesdays, etc.

Last edited by Lee W.; 03-31-2016 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement