U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 02:11 PM

21,859 posts, read 14,364,134 times

Advertisements

I have enjoyed these stories and I relate to almost all of them. But I've been doing boneheaded things all my life. Its the being lost for words that really throws me for a loop. In my life, being lost for words is not a common experience! Until now.

I will share one trick for not forgetting sequential stuff--like needing to visit three stores for three separate purchases. If I visualize what I need to be doing, I have a better chance of not forgetting anything important. If I am used to turning one way out of my subdivision, and I will be turning the other way, I visualize my destination before hand. Otherwise, I'll be turning in the most used direction. I did that the other day, in fact. I forgot to visualize my destination and so had to find a place to turn around. Maddening.

Another source of frustration and aggravation for me is finding my car in a large car parking lot. So now, I always park in the same general location. Doing this saves so much mental work!

But these behaviors are not new things for me. I've always been like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 PM

1,158 posts, read 649,127 times
DH and I both suffer from this. Too often. He is worse than I am, but that might be that my personality is such that I am more organized, and I keep a calendar and lists and files to remind me of things. He generally relies on his memory - and me - to remember things.

I haven't forgotten to put the bank drive-through canister back in the slot for a year. DH sometimes will forget to get back his driver's license from the tellers.

I attribute a lot of this to the sheer volume of projects, reports, paperwork stacks, etc. we are juggling at any one time. I believe we have an abnormal amount of things simply necessary to remember. Especially for 2 people our ages. I do believe things will get easier once we retire permanently and don't have this volume of things to remember.

It is worrisome, though. The thought is never far, "is this the beginning of more brain difficulties?" And I admit to a lot of angst at DH for his expecting me to remember all my stuff and his also.

Today he called from a county office, saying he didn't have his paperwork. Yep, you didn't take it with you, I figured you wanted me to take it, so I recreated the top sheet which you did take and I delivered it to the office. I use a mountain of paper clips, clip boards, post it notes, folders, etc. just trying to keep things together and us both on top of things. I would say all this is the 2nd biggest stress-producing thing in my life right now.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:54 PM

4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, think of how happy you made your cats.
If they'd been mine it would have been better but no, I had to give them to my sister's cats.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:14 PM

7,628 posts, read 4,693,202 times
I've noticed I tend to drop things a lot, so the Feline Floorcleaning Units come in handy at mealtime.

A couple years ago I was in Orange County on business, had a free day and decided on the spur of the moment to go to Disneyland. I spent the day enjoying myself and took the shuttle back to the garage.

Despite knowing the letter and number of the section I'd parked in, I could not find my car. Nor could I find the specific section. I spent a half hour looking, getting increasingly frantic and very thirsty, going up and down the same aisle repeatedly.

Finally, it dawned on me that after parking the car I had crossed a skybridge to the area I was currently in and the reason I couldn't find the car was that it was on the other side of the bridge. I had completely blanked that out.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:30 PM

9,751 posts, read 7,030,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
If they'd been mine it would have been better but no, I had to give them to my sister's cats.
Awwww, but then you made your sister's cats happy..

Old 04-01-2016, 08:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 1,205,192 times
it drives me nuts when I go to the closet for instance and stand there looking at it wondering why I'm there only to remember that I actually was trying to go to the fridge that's near the closet.
Part of my brain knows I'm walking in the right direction.. I just kind of get off at the wrong stop.

I don't attribute it to any brain malfunction though. I think it's just because I'm usually multi tasking..

or at least that's what I keep telling myself...

Old 04-01-2016, 09:52 PM

1,278 posts, read 903,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I'm sure we've had a similar thread before but these moments keep happening. Here's my latest.

I got a notification from the library that a couple of books I had requested were now on the hold shelf for me. I went to the library, chatted with an old friend I saw there, looked around the bestseller tables, and hunted in the stacks for some books by an author I like. I checked out my selections, went home, and then realized I hadn't picked up the books that were on hold for me. That's why I was there! What the heck? I hate becoming a cliche.

What's yours?
at least you get cheap coffee at mcdonalds.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 PM

4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
Fluffy, one of the reasons I bought my Nissan Cube is because I can spot it anywhere. Of course, that wouldn't help if I had forgotten where I parked it in the first place, lol.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:13 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,224,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have enjoyed these stories and I relate to almost all of them. But I've been doing boneheaded things all my life. Its the being lost for words that really throws me for a loop. In my life, being lost for words is not a common experience! Until now.

Another source of frustration and aggravation for me is finding my car in a large car parking lot. So now, I always park in the same general location. Doing this saves so much mental work!

But these behaviors are not new things for me. I've always been like this.
Yes- I have always had many of the characteristics of ADD- variously ranging from "look, a squirrel" (share that with my dogs!) to hyper focus, so while I have always had a good memory I have kept lists for years to keep me on track. I think that many of the things we call "senior moments" are just plain old garden variety forgetfulness that people of all ages share.

About losing the car- oh my yes, unless I make a mental map of where I left my car I can never find it again. Even at work I make the habit of always parking in the same area. But this has always been an issue, not necessarily a senior thing.

My mother had Alzheimers though, so I really have to stay grounded in order not to worry excessively or attribute every little thing to early symptoms.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:53 AM

7,628 posts, read 4,693,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Fluffy, one of the reasons I bought my Nissan Cube is because I can spot it anywhere. Of course, that wouldn't help if I had forgotten where I parked it in the first place, lol.
Indeed.

My new vehicle is 9 1/2 feet tall and won't fit in most parking garages, so I guess I solved that problem without intending to. When I do find a place to park it, it towers menacingly over other vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement