Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

There was a recent report from British Scientists that were recommending that all healthy adults over 50 (normal cholesterol, low BP, no heart attack/stroke) take daily Statins as a means of prevention. What? It did not say who funded this research, but let me guess who? OTC low baby aspirin is one thing, but now Statins????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 09:25 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Being pill-free is over rated....I have to take thyroid medication or I'd die...why kick myself over it?
yes, that is what I take also.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:56 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
It's not unusual for seniors to taper off their preventative prescriptive and OTC meds as they move into their into their late 80s and 90s. These include things like statins that are designed to forestall some supposed future risk.

Also many who have taken meds for high blood pressure find when they reach that age that the condition has been replaced by low blood pressure.

MY MIL is 92 and for decades took cocktails of prescribed and OTC meds 2-3x a day. Now she's down to one pill, a small dose (25 mg) of quetiapine, every evening.

I'm on thyroid meds but have found that I need a lower dose now (in my late 60s) than I did 15 years ago.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Good points.

I think the goal of being "pill free" should be viewed as taking care of yourself in terms of weight getting exercise and other controllable things rather than just trying to pill them away because they also cause other issues.

Leveraging that to mean not taking pills when you are 90 or 100 just doesn't seem to follow that logic.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Being pill-free is over rated....I have to take thyroid medication or I'd die...why kick myself over it?
No kicking here. You have chronic conditions, you take the medication you need to keep it under control, and IMO thank your lucky stars there are meds out there that will do so.

I take meds to keep hypertension, glaucoma and my newest acquisition afib, under control. Besides the diet and exercise which help too.

Just the way things go.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It's not unusual for seniors to taper off their preventative prescriptive and OTC meds as they move into their into their late 80s and 90s. These include things like statins that are designed to forestall some supposed future risk.

Also many who have taken meds for high blood pressure find when they reach that age that the condition has been replaced by low blood pressure.

MY MIL is 92 and for decades took cocktails of prescribed and OTC meds 2-3x a day. Now she's down to one pill, a small dose (25 mg) of quetiapine, every evening.

I'm on thyroid meds but have found that I need a lower dose now (in my late 60s) than I did 15 years ago.
Yes, estrogen binds with thyroid hormone meaning you need to take more to have the same effect - once you go through "the change" and estrogen levels go down, so does the need for thyroid hormone.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, estrogen binds with thyroid hormone meaning you need to take more to have the same effect - once you go through "the change" and estrogen levels go down, so does the need for thyroid hormone.
I have to get blood work at least twice a year to check my levels and adjust meds. I was always on the low end but the meds sure did make a difference.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:16 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good points.

I think the goal of being "pill free" should be viewed as taking care of yourself in terms of weight getting exercise and other controllable things rather than just trying to pill them away because they also cause other issues.

Leveraging that to mean not taking pills when you are 90 or 100 just doesn't seem to follow that logic.
Exactly. My 90 year old grandmother was so anti-doctor it ended up costing her her life. I loved her so much, and she refused to take any medicine, although I begged and pleaded and offered to take her many times when she was having trouble. Despite being generally healthy for a woman of quite advanced age, I am convinced if she saw the doctor at least a few times a year and took a couple of medications, such as something for her chronic diarrhea which made her extremely thin, she would still be with us now. Instead she died at Christmastime in 2014. Cause of death? The flu

Old 03-31-2016, 02:03 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. My 90 year old grandmother was so anti-doctor it ended up costing her her life. I loved her so much, and she refused to take any medicine, although I begged and pleaded and offered to take her many times when she was having trouble. Despite being generally healthy for a woman of quite advanced age, I am convinced if she saw the doctor at least a few times a year and took a couple of medications, such as something for her chronic diarrhea which made her extremely thin, she would still be with us now. Instead she died at Christmastime in 2014. Cause of death? The flu
No flu shot? FWIW - my father does get an annual flu shot. He has had a Pneumovax vaccination and a shot of Prevnar 13 too (newer pneumonia vaccination). Things our doctors strongly recommend for all their older patients. Robyn

Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My mom is 92 and has very loose bowel movements. Wonder if this is a senior thing?

She is in a nursing home, so gets her medication on schedule.

It really saved her cuz she was doing a bad job of taking care of herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement