Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:52 PM

888 posts, read 889,903 times

Advertisements

A couple years ago I had a golden opportunity to interview a 100-year old man for an article I wrote. What a delightful experience it was. He actually ended up living to 101 years and some spare change before eventually passing. Of the many things I retained from this experience was that he didn't take any prescription medicine.

Today I bumped into an old church acquaintance who I had not seen in a long time. He no longer goes to church but a couple years ago attended daily Mass. He was having dinner with his wife at a restaurant. I asked him how old he was, knowing that he was every bit of 100 years and he told me he would be 101 years this upcoming April 20th. I then asked him many questions, one of which if he took any "pills". He said no he didn't. I then asked him how about baby aspirin and he fessed up that he took one a day.

So it's two for two in my encounters the past couple of years with centenarians being prescription medicine free.

Give me something to shoot for in about 39 years from now if I'm blessed to still be ticking like they are (were).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
It's my goal. I'm 66 and take a claritin daily for seasonal allergies.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
My father is 97 and doesn't take any drugs except for an occasional laxative. Robyn

Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times
What is cause and what is effect?
Are you more likely to live to 100 because you don't take prescription medicine or is it that not having any chronic conditions that require daily meds increases your odds of living longer? I think it is a little of both.

EDIT - Some opinions and I am not a doctor, so...
I think getting off sleep meds is a good idea
I think statins are iffy and often over prescribed, but they are life savers for certain people
I think if you are prone to clotting and have had DVT, if you don't take the blood thinners then you are a ticking time bomb

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 03-31-2016 at 07:35 AM..

Old 03-31-2016, 07:17 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
That was always a pipe dream I had, to 1)no longer need any prescription drugs into my ancient old age, and 2)if I had to take prescription drugs, to have their procurement at the pharmacy coordinated so I could get all the prescription refills at once. With 2), I was almost there once, but due to the foibles of getting prescription drugs, it never happened.

So I haven't been able to accomplish either. Don't believe it will happen, either, but I can be thankful that I have a good prescription drug plan, and the meds keep me boogying along feeling like a teenager most days.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:51 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Wife and I, later 60's, take a multivitamin each day along with a few supplements (D-3, K-2, Fish Oil) and part of an allergy tablet. We are both Diabetic II, so taking Metformin is a must. I also take a low-dose blood pressure and cholesterol med each AM. We know we don't always eat right, so taking what we do helps that.

As far as living to 100, as long as our health is descent, we'd like to. Most people have their own opinion on what to do, and what not to do, to be able to live that long. Some folks can be "pill-free" and get away with it, while others, like ourselves, feel that the vitamin, supplements and meds we take are essential to our well-being/descent health.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 AM

252 posts, read 234,627 times
I talked to a doctor who believes people are living longer because doctors like him properly prescribe drugs that enable a longer life.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:57 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That was always a pipe dream I had, to 1)no longer need any prescription drugs into my ancient old age, and 2)if I had to take prescription drugs, to have their procurement at the pharmacy coordinated so I could get all the prescription refills at once. With 2), I was almost there once, but due to the foibles of getting prescription drugs, it never happened.

So I haven't been able to accomplish either. Don't believe it will happen, either, but I can be thankful that I have a good prescription drug plan, and the meds keep me boogying along feeling like a teenager most days.
I LIKE that (in red above)!! Don't know about feeling like a teenager, but a lot of times wife and I don't feel like were as old as we are.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:43 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
But do they really know they don't take anything? My mom is 92 and doesn't think she takes any pills - sometimes - LOL!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:21 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Being pill-free is over rated....I have to take thyroid medication or I'd die...why kick myself over it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement