U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:07 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times

Advertisements

If you do go with a treadmill (and don't listen to us -lol) get a good one.

I would use the gym at my Air Force base and their machines were heavy duty. Had to be. And they got all new equipment every other year. It was nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
One thing nice about using facilities at the Gym is that they get to buy it and maintain it.

My daughter had an inexpensive treadmill but it wore out after about 4 years.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:27 AM

2,533 posts, read 1,824,335 times
My wife and I researched exercise equipment 8 years ago and we went to several different stores that sold elliptical machines, treadmills etc. Based on MY experience PRECOR is very hard to beat.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:04 PM

983 posts, read 760,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
My wife and I researched exercise equipment 8 years ago and we went to several different stores that sold elliptical machines, treadmills etc. Based on MY experience PRECOR is very hard to beat.
We have a Precor recumbent bike and a Precor treadmill. I use them both about 4 times a week - excellent equipment. You pay a bit more for it, but it's comfortable to use, lasts a long time. I totally recommend it. I think exercise equipment gets used more if it's good quality and comfortable to use.

I exercise at home because I can fit it in easily during the day. 15 minutes while I am waiting for laundry to be done, 20 minutes while I am baking something. I don't have to deal with other people's stink and bad music as I would in the gym. Yes, I walk outside when weather permits, but it's hard to get motivated to walk outside when it's stormy. Also, the treadmill lets me walk up hill without ever having to walk down hill (down hills are hard on the knees).

Ellipticals are excellent exercise, but they are harder to use when you are older or perhaps recovering from surgery. They take more balance, more coordination. I have been told that an exercise bike is best, especially a recumbent. It's non weightbearing and can help you with range of motion after knee surgery.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:17 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,637,122 times
Neither wife or I are into exercise much, but do get it in the summer...........
Power Boating can really get the cardio going, as in launching, retrieving and tying up to a dock.
Going to a local target range (shooting).
Swimming in apt. complex pool........when it's warm enough.

Then there is shopping. Yep, walking around Wal Mart, local Mall and the grocery store.

We'd love to join local YMCA for some indoor "warm water swimming/exercise", but, due to my wife's salary, it would cost us $95 each a month. Well, that isn't going to happen! So, we depend on our boat, Range and pool at complex for exercise.

Also have the Wii Game that can get the sweat going. Bowling, tennis, Ping-Pong.........just to name a few.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:27 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,444,245 times
Have a few pieces of equipment in the house and we use the bike and the elliptical 5-6days per week. Have a Precor treadmill we're thinking of selling it's just too bulky as the Precor elliptical is also huge. Hubby lifts higher weights, I use small scale version. We eat right 90% of the time. However, when I can use a gym my competitive side comes out and I do more there. It's sporadic memberships because it's expensive. Last time I signed up I got 3 months for $100 no contract which I prefer. That way nothing further charged on credit card. Tried the YMCA never worked for me except to perfect swimming strokes.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:38 PM

2,533 posts, read 1,824,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Neither wife or I are into exercise much, but do get it in the summer...........
Power Boating can really get the cardio going, as in launching, retrieving and tying up to a dock.
Going to a local target range (shooting).
Swimming in apt. complex pool........when it's warm enough.

Then there is shopping. Yep, walking around Wal Mart, local Mall and the grocery store.

We'd love to join local YMCA for some indoor "warm water swimming/exercise", but, due to my wife's salary, it would cost us $95 each a month. Well, that isn't going to happen! So, we depend on our boat, Range and pool at complex for exercise.

Also have the Wii Game that can get the sweat going. Bowling, tennis, Ping-Pong.........just to name a few.
Don't forget climbing out the back bedroom window and running down the alley when the husband gets home

Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Ellipticals are excellent exercise, but they are harder to use when you are older or perhaps recovering from surgery. They take more balance, more coordination.
You can get them in a lot of different stride lengths or even get an adjustable stride length (those are pricier). Stationary bikes are easier but that's because you exert less effort and get less benefit in the same amount of time. The OP asked about treadmills from which I inferred that they want the inherent extra work of supporting the body.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:28 PM

14,689 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I agree with others that a gym or other exercise tends to be better, but if I were going to get a machine for home I would go with an elliptical over a treadmill. Unless you get a high dollar treadmill, you will probably pound your joints more than you expect because the platforms on the cheaper ones either don't flex at all or stay bottomed out while you are on it.
It depends on the person. I hate the gym. First of all, there's the ick factor which I couldn't get out of my mind, and I'm not a germophobe by any means. I also don't like waiting on machines. But the main thing I didn't like was schlepping back and forth day after day, month after month, year after year to the gym, go in, undress, gym clothes on, workout, back in the locker room, shower, redress, drive back to wherever, lather, rinse, repeat until the end of time. I'm just too lazy to do that. But I'm not too lazy to exercise hard by myself at home, which I've done for about 6 years. I have my own treadmill at home.

For those who think you have to pay a boatload of cash to own your own high quality treadmill, you're incorrect. The key is to buy a used one from someone who uses their treadmill as a clothes hangar rather than a workout machine. I bought two treadmills that way on Craigslist, and they have both been strong, sound, long lasting machines. The only reason I sold my first one was because it didn't fit at my new house, so I had to get rid of the first one and buy one that folded up. I bought the first one for $250 (MSRP $2500) and the second one for $200 (MSRP $1650).

I don't care for running outside. It's just too high impact for me, and in blistering hot Texas, the weather is too warm to be comfortable. If you buy your own treadmill, it's important you keep the belt lubricated every few months. If you don't, the belt may freeze up or the motor can even stop functioning. It's easy to lube it. You can order treadmill lube online for about $10-15 and it has a little sponge thing for you to do it yourself in 5 minutes.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:50 PM

3,341 posts, read 3,045,294 times
I bought a higher end SOLE during the Black November sales a couple years ago. I hate cold weather more than anything so I use it in the winter. Very convenient not having to leave the house. It does help that I have a lot of space since they do take up room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement