U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:20 PM

708 posts, read 501,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
What's really nice is those, not us though, who can afford to be "snowbirds". We know two couples in their late 60's that are that way, but they have a pension, plus SS coming in each month. One thing for sure, to be a "snowbird" takes money!

Even though we're not really that fond of cold/snowy weather, we are highly considering moving back to the Front Range (Colorado) next year. We lived south of Denver for 5 1/2 years, endured the winters and really enjoyed the summers. Boating on lakes there is much easier than boating here in Florida. Not only is it easier, in our opinion, fresh-water boating is much easier on a boat engine. Anyway, when people are retired, like I already am and wife will be, when we say "goodbye" to Florida, don't have to go out in the winter weather nearly as much.........as in, going to and coming home from work.

BTW, looking at Longmont or Loveland.

Front Range property is getting expensive too. Especially in Denver area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 02:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,522 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie42 View Post
Ironically I was looking online at a 55+ community near San Antonio just yesterday that looked appealing.

My wife had 3 retired co-workers visit her this week. One has a winter home at Cottonwood, AZ, one has a winter home at Brownsville, TX, and the other is moving to Brunswick, GA to be near her son so we have a little more info on different areas in the south to ponder.

We also discussed having a small place next to BIL to spend about 4 months in the summer so he could take care of it when we are living somewhere warm.
Might want to consider changing your domicile in retirement. SD is very close, and the preferred domicile of many. It only requires one overnight per lifetime! Of course you don't want to stay in IA long enough span in one yr to trigger domicile there, (often is over 180 days straight, not sure on IA.) Last yr I made it a point to leave Thailand every month to not trigger their 183 day domicile.

Get out and try a few spots within a reasonable annual drive (I love go fly, and $89 airfare doesn't buy enough gas for me to drive between houses, so I fly a few times / yr). I keep a $35 car at each end and transfer insurance. Plates / registration is $42 one time for life.

Many of our retiree friends use 'house / pet / plant' sitting to go learn about other locales.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 AM

76 posts, read 78,191 times
Hi:
How much are homes where you live in Maui? Looking just for a small 2 bdr 1 or 2 bth on about 1/4 acre in size. What is property taxes there? Heard medical wasn't good in Hawaii any opinion on that? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We moved from Seattle to Maui. I estimate it costs us about 15% more to live in Hawaii than Seattle.

I can assure you that there are no snakes in Hawaii. The temperature is 70-80 365 days a year. We live on the windward side of Maui and get lots of rain (and lots of sun) so never have to water our garden, we have no heater and no A/C. Very easy to live here.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 AM

Default Hawaii??

Hi:
How much are homes where you live in Maui? Looking just for a small 2 bdr 1 or 2 bth on about 1/4 acre in size. What is property taxes there? Heard medical wasn't good in Hawaii any opinion on that? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We moved from Seattle to Maui. I estimate it costs us about 15% more to live in Hawaii than Seattle.

I can assure you that there are no snakes in Hawaii. The temperature is 70-80 365 days a year. We live on the windward side of Maui and get lots of rain (and lots of sun) so never have to water our garden, we have no heater and no A/C. Very easy to live here.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:19 PM

335 posts, read 1,352,744 times
Thumbs down RE: Hawaii medical care

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyCat View Post
Hi:
The medical care on Maui is lacking IMO. I have both a relative and a friend who live there. My relative traveled to CA for a knee replacement. My friend told me that there is a doctor shortage on Maui because no one wants to practice there. There is 1 dermatologist for the entire island -- takes several months to get an appt. Also, she had cancer a few years back and got the runaround for almost 2 years before she had had enough; she flew back to the mainland and got treatment for several months. The lack of good medical care is enough for me to have crossed Maui off my list of relocation options.

And, yes, electricity is around $.39/kwh; currently 4 times the rate we pay in AL. Even though you use less AC, you pay dearly for it. And, for me, 85 and humid year-round means that I am using AC.

I believe that property taxes run a bit over 1% of assessed value (which is supposed to be market value, but looked conservative on the property tax bill I saw).

Last edited by AnotherBravesFan; 07-29-2016 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: added property tax info

Old 07-31-2016, 09:13 AM

14,252 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
The medical care on Maui is lacking IMO. I have both a relative and a friend who live there. My relative traveled to CA for a knee replacement. My friend told me that there is a doctor shortage on Maui because no one wants to practice there.

It is NOT a matter that doctors don't WANT to practice in Maui as much as they CANNOT afford to practice there with high rents and other expenses that outstrip the billing and reimbursement levels.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:33 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,308,406 times
Quote:
Hi:
We had a condo on Maui (Wailea area) where we planned to retire ($950/month for maintenance). Unfortunately after living there for several months my wife (who also has a BIG phobia about snakes) had "island fever." Other than traveling to another island, we missed the ability to get in the car and go. IMO the average cost of a home in Maui is about $500K, yes, average. Friends in Maui had two and three jobs in order to survive.

Medical care is limited and most travel to Honolulu or the mainland for anything other than minimum care.

It is beautiful with fantastic weather, but the cost to live there is steep.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:36 PM

Just curious: what problems exist in GA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Seattle: Cascadia subduction earthquake, once every 300 years on average, and presently overdue. One of the biggest earthquakes in the world. Far bigger than any earthquake in California. No city has been known to ever survive it, because no cities existed there 300 years ago.

Iowa: Very high radon levels.

Las Vegas: Very hot and lots of crime.

Arkansas: Retired consumers pay more tax than in most places.

Almost any place you can think of, has lots of good reasons not to move there.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:23 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Just curious: what problems exist in GA?
hot and very humid weather. That comes with insects and critters like mosquitos and snakes. I know every place have those but GA is very lush and green. I haven't been there in a long time but when I was there in Augusta GA it seemed to rain every day at about 4pm. Oh to add. Taxes and cost of living are low and those numbers put it among the lowest in the country.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 08-08-2016 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: added good points.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 AM

291 posts, read 172,080 times
We've narrowed it down to three areas. But the most difficult thing is trying to figure out how finances play into it. While some states don't tax pensions and IRA withdrawals they add costs in other ways. So were trying to work that out now. Unfortunately, we are in Maryland. Maryland is a nice state but it loves taxes. They also don't seem to love their seniors. LOL. So for us, it will probably be Delaware or Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or