U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 09:42 AM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times

Advertisements

Come to Arizona. Everyone else is.

The snakes stay mainly in the mountain areas so you won't ever see one if you don't go hiking up there. Plenty of walking, biking paths everywhere. Plenty of heat, sun, pools, outside living.

Only in summer will you regret moving here. And then you can be a snowbird and leave for your other home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 10:01 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,068,483 times
I plan on being a snowbird. Leaving Midwest home for the south January - March. Seems like the best way since we like our home and get out the area the worst time of the year.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:01 AM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Come to Arizona. Everyone else is.

The snakes stay mainly in the mountain areas so you won't ever see one if you don't go hiking up there. Plenty of walking, biking paths everywhere. Plenty of heat, sun, pools, outside living.

Only in summer will you regret moving here. And then you can be a snowbird and leave for your other home.

I have seen any number of rattlesnakes in the suburban areas, along walkways and the like. I would say that I easily see one every three to four months. I am 14 miles from the nearest mountain.

If you want to keep rattlesnakes off your property, control the rodent population. To control the rodent population, don't leave out pet food or feed the birds or do anything that provides them food.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:10 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Are you absolutely sure?
This is true. No snakes in Hawaii.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:03 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
Jlawrence: Aren't you around Tucson? I was speaking of Phoenix area and should have said so. Maybe you have more wildlife around your home and walkways. I have never seen a snake in AZ.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:19 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie42 View Post
Looking for ideas…My wife and I are in our mid-50’s and are on track to retire in about 5 years. We have lived our whole lives in northwest Iowa where we have long cold winters. It is our desire to move someplace that has warm weather year-round. Walking/biking trails are a necessity. Shopping and restaurant choices are desirable. We currently have a second home on a lake, so living on or near water would be an option. The only other criteria – my wife is completely horrified of snakes, and I hate them, so would prefer to avoid areas where they exist.
With not much to go on it is hard to give you the perfect place. I do think you have a few good ones. Personally I would stick in the center of the country. Arkansas is a place you should consider or northeast TX and Oklahoma. They have much less snow and cold than you are used to. It is also close enough for family visits.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:22 PM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
St Petersburg Florida.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:05 PM

729 posts, read 320,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Warm weather year around + on/near water = snakes

Sorry; I don't make the rules...

The west is probably better than the south on that score though. In the year around warm part of FL there are lots of snakes.
Welp, goodbye any intent I've ever had of owning a waterfront house.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:11 PM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
There are no snakes in New Zealand

Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 PM

7,338 posts, read 16,634,853 times
What's really nice is those, not us though, who can afford to be "snowbirds". We know two couples in their late 60's that are that way, but they have a pension, plus SS coming in each month. One thing for sure, to be a "snowbird" takes money!

Even though we're not really that fond of cold/snowy weather, we are highly considering moving back to the Front Range (Colorado) next year. We lived south of Denver for 5 1/2 years, endured the winters and really enjoyed the summers. Boating on lakes there is much easier than boating here in Florida. Not only is it easier, in our opinion, fresh-water boating is much easier on a boat engine. Anyway, when people are retired, like I already am and wife will be, when we say "goodbye" to Florida, don't have to go out in the winter weather nearly as much.........as in, going to and coming home from work.

BTW, looking at Longmont or Loveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or