U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:05 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,571,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Hmmm. Driving around Oahu, I saw many houses with photovoltaic panels on their roof. My guess was electricity must have been quite expensive.
Electricity is about $0.35/kWH in Hawaii. It is closer to $0.09/kWH in the much of the mainland. But Hawaii also has lots of sunshine and a good solar rebate program, so using solar power is pretty much a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 04:38 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,925,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Hmmm. Driving around Oahu, I saw many houses with photovoltaic panels on their roof. My guess was electricity must have been quite expensive.
Hawaii has the highest prices per Kwh in the US. OTOH - some individuals might have lower overall utility costs as a result of using less power for heating and air-conditioning. I probably wouldn't. I've only been in Hawaii once - in late May. And it was certainly A/C weather IMO (mid 80's or so):

Honolulu May Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for HI 96817

Robyn

Old 04-04-2016, 04:50 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,925,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
IMO, feral pigs are a much larger problem as well as more dangerous than javalina. Having said that, when the young javalinas are born in May, I do not want to get between mama and baby as an 85# sow can inflict a lot of damage on a leg.

Feral pigs can grow much bigger and the reproductive cycle of feral pigs is explosive. Feral pigs can produce five litters every two years where as javalinas are annual. And baby javalinas are a very favorite food source for our local coyote population. I must say that in another month or so I will start hearing the javalina vs. coyote battles from 10 pm - 2 am many nights.

In many states with a large population of feral pigs, you can shoot them 24/7/365 with no limits - the more the merrier. In Missouri, if you are deer hunting, you are supposed to kill any pig yopu see. By the way, check the local hunting laws as they do vary.
Feral pigs are pretty much fair game without any rules on private property in Florida (with permission of the landowner). There are some rules in various wildlife management areas:

Wild Hog Hunting Information in Florida

You pretty much don't want to get near any animal with babies or similar. I got attacked by a male Canadian goose the other day after getting too close to a nesting female. Those suckers are BIG. Robyn

Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 AM

6 posts, read 6,377 times
Sorry, I have been away from my computer all weekend. This was my first post and I was overwhelmed to see all the responses. I appreciate everyone's comments very much.

About the snakes - It's not a fear of getting bit by a poisonous snake but rather a life long phobia for snakes in general.

We realize that no where is perfect but we want to find the best compromise that we can. Ideally we could spend 6 months at Okoboji Lake and 6 months in Arizona or Texas or somewhere really warm in the winter but we don't want to have two residences to worry about after we retire. We would rather spend more on one nice place.

We are thinking our budget will be 250k - 300k for a new/newer single family home or detached townhome preferably in a newer subdivision. Our condo at the lake has taught us that we don't care for anything with shared walls. A 55+ community sounds appealing.

COL is a concern. Hawaii would be perfect weather but the COL and the fact that it's so far away (we don't really care to fly) would take it off our list.

Good healthcare is important.

We are somewhat conservative but could get along anywhere that isn't extreme either way.

We don't have children so family is not a consideration.

I hope I have answered most of the questions. We want to choose 2 or 3 places that we can go explore in the next couple of years and start narrowing it down. We are just sick of the cold and snow here in the winter that we want to try something different when we are "free".

Old 04-04-2016, 09:12 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,862,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

Miami is near the Everglades. I am in SW Florida. Unless the OP moves to the edge of the Everglades, the only python he will ever see is on the news.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:23 AM

530 posts, read 537,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I've heard Oklahoma is one of the worst tornado states. And most of the states around it.

At some point someone mentioned El Paso, in another thread on this same subject. But it has a lot of smog and congestion.
... I know this is (now) an older post, but I just ran-across this map showing the areas of the U.S.A. that experienced tornadoes - Between 1950 and 2006. It's attached to this post it as "Information-to-ponder" for y'all ...
TC
Attached Thumbnails
Where should we move when we retire?-tornado-map_1950-2006.png  

Old 04-04-2016, 12:59 PM

10,460 posts, read 5,924,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Because you're restricting yourself to very small geographical areas. In the US - it's Maine - Hawaii and Alaska:

Top Places In The World Without Snakes | Pushkin's Pistol

Robyn

You beat me to it, this was going to be my answer too. Limiting yourself because of a fear of snakes, when virtually every spot on Earth has snakes, is crazy IMO.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:10 AM

708 posts, read 502,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Are you absolutely sure?

When I was there that is what I was told. Just Googled it and they have only
found two they figured came over on a freight liner. Hawaii is very big
on enforcement and it is a Class C felony to have a snake. Unlike Florida
which was so lax until recently and it is part of the reason they have such
a huge problem in South Florida.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,550 posts, read 39,934,465 times
For reasonable winter weather, consider San Antonio area (it can still be cold, so you might need to venture further south)

I am considering to apply as winter PT repair staff at one of many summer camps near Kerrville / Hunt, TX. So I don't have to maintain 2 homes (my summer home is in the cool summer night, PNW.). I have rural view places in each locale. Both have multiple living areas as well as RV spots and seperate shops, so main house is rented out to year-round tenants. We can live at either location for free. We can choose to use a management company if we don't want to be hassled with caring for either home. This year we are traveling international, and away from each. Life ticks on and bank acct is recharged with $3k each month in rents. Plants, pets, lawn, gardens are all cared for by our very happy tenants. (We screen very carefully, and choose win:win adult / older single folks who appeciate the arrangement and like to garden and live in beautiful spots.)

When we get to age 80 we will probably choose one or the other, or something else (We keep property in Colorado too.(home for our first 30 yrs)). We will sell the properties on owner contract, so we still retain income. All but one rural view propertywere under $100k, the expensive one (bought last yr in TX) was $180k. It has a cozy cabin, RV spots, outdoor kitchen, and 3 shops, (seperate laundry / baths), pond, 6 acres and a 3 bdrom home and nice gardens. Main house rents for $1800. We have seperate driveway, and our cabin is not visible to main house. Renter is happy to mow and care for the place. (It is a very nice location)

Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 6,377 times
Ironically I was looking online at a 55+ community near San Antonio just yesterday that looked appealing.

My wife had 3 retired co-workers visit her this week. One has a winter home at Cottonwood, AZ, one has a winter home at Brownsville, TX, and the other is moving to Brunswick, GA to be near her son so we have a little more info on different areas in the south to ponder.

We also discussed having a small place next to BIL to spend about 4 months in the summer so he could take care of it when we are living somewhere warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or