Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

Advertisements

Washington state west of the Cascades. If you stay away from Seattle and it's suburbs housing gets more affordable. There are "rain shadows" where it does not rain as much as other areas. Cliff Mass Weather Blog: The Spada Lake Anomaly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,340 times
Hello, this is my first post but have been reading this forum with interest since I am closing in on retirement in a year or so.

I am a native Iowan who lived there 31 years before moving to Southern California in 1988 to seek new career opportunities, and subsequently lived in Kentucky, New Jersey, and finally back to California in 2006 where we have been ever since.

Now with retirement so close, and trying to decide where to spend our retirement years, we are having a house built in West Des Moines, Iowa and will soon be moving back there. Why go back to the cold weather when we are already in Southern California's paradise weather? Many reasons, including four seasons, very little crime, friendly people, affordable housing, great health care, a sense of community and a slower pace of life.

We considered many other places including staying in California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, the Carolina's, the Northwest, etc. We could have moved anywhere, but we chose Iowa and the Des Moines area in particular, in part because the city (and state) ranks among the best in the U.S. for retirement in several reports.

Maybe we will feel differently 5, 10 or 20 years from now, but for now we are Iowa bound for retirement and looking forward to it.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:15 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hawaii is about 30% more expensive than San Francisco, it is VERY expensive and with retirement you need to think about healthcare which is crap in Hawaii.

7 most expensive states to live in the U.S.

What is your housing budget? If you can afford Hawaii, go for it. If you live comfortably in Iowa on $75,000 a year, you'd need $122,000 a year to have the same lifestyle in Hawaii.

Texas, Florida, Coastal Georgia, and Coastal South Carolina are all good choices.
Honolulu is expensive. I was in Hilo last month, which is reasonable. City Data has the basic details. Houses average about $250k. Utilities costs are very low. Many houses don't have or need either A/C or heat. If you must eat food imported from the mainland, costs will be high. Most people eat differently and eat local foods. Hilo has very decent hospitals but in keeping with the relatively small population, none are big tertiary care facilities. Hilo is not a rich resort area and there are very reasonably priced restaurants and services. I have a retired relative who lives there and he gets by on a very low social security check.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie42 View Post
Looking for ideas…My wife and I are in our mid-50’s and are on track to retire in about 5 years. We have lived our whole lives in northwest Iowa where we have long cold winters. It is our desire to move someplace that has warm weather year-round. Walking/biking trails are a necessity. Shopping and restaurant choices are desirable. We currently have a second home on a lake, so living on or near water would be an option. The only other criteria – my wife is completely horrified of snakes, and I hate them, so would prefer to avoid areas where they exist.
Move to Sioux Falls and escape during the winter. Sell your home on Okoboji if you need to. I just moved back to Sioux Falls after being in CA for 35 years. It's working out great....loe the cost of living and amenities and I can be gone during the winter however much I want.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic Sort View Post
Hello, this is my first post but have been reading this forum with interest since I am closing in on retirement in a year or so.

I am a native Iowan who lived there 31 years before moving to Southern California in 1988 to seek new career opportunities, and subsequently lived in Kentucky, New Jersey, and finally back to California in 2006 where we have been ever since.

Now with retirement so close, and trying to decide where to spend our retirement years, we are having a house built in West Des Moines, Iowa and will soon be moving back there. Why go back to the cold weather when we are already in Southern California's paradise weather? Many reasons, including four seasons, very little crime, friendly people, affordable housing, great health care, a sense of community and a slower pace of life.

We considered many other places including staying in California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, the Carolina's, the Northwest, etc. We could have moved anywhere, but we chose Iowa and the Des Moines area in particular, in part because the city (and state) ranks among the best in the U.S. for retirement in several reports.

Maybe we will feel differently 5, 10 or 20 years from now, but for now we are Iowa bound for retirement and looking forward to it.
I did virtually the same thing. Lived in CA for 35 years. Near San Francisco. Moved to Sioux Falls, which is very similar to Des Moines. I am saving about 30k a year which I can use to travel, etc. if I want to. The quality of life here is multiple times better than it was in the San Franciso Bay Area. Just got back from Vegas again yesterday. Will be in Alaska this summer etc...gone for 4 weeks to Thailand this winter.

I totally get why you are doing it. I'm doing the same thing. The new, very nice apartment I am in here would be four times what I"m paying if I lived in the Bay Area. And it wouldn't be a new one.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Look at Las Vegas. Warm weather, low COL, no state taxes and property taxes are low. Lots to do here as well.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:08 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
You are probably experiencing a very low cost of living in comparison to most places that will fit your list. Have you looked in the Arkansas area, maybe close to one of the lakes? I would recommend the high desert here in NM but not if you want to be close to water. There will be snakes of one sort or another in most places.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:29 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Seattle: Cascadia subduction earthquake, once every 300 years on average, and presently overdue. One of the biggest earthquakes in the world. Far bigger than any earthquake in California. No city has been known to ever survive it, because no cities existed there 300 years ago.

Iowa: Very high radon levels.

Las Vegas: Very hot and lots of crime.

Arkansas: Retired consumers pay more tax than in most places.

Almost any place you can think of, has lots of good reasons not to move there.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:11 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Most people who live in Florida don't live in the Everglades .

OTOH - maybe we could import some of those big scary snakes to scare people away (we have too many people moving to my county these days) . Robyn

Old 04-02-2016, 06:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Seattle: Cascadia subduction earthquake, once every 300 years on average, and presently overdue. One of the biggest earthquakes in the world. Far bigger than any earthquake in California. No city has been known to ever survive it, because no cities existed there 300 years ago.

Iowa: Very high radon levels.

Las Vegas: Very hot and lots of crime.

Arkansas: Retired consumers pay more tax than in most places.

Almost any place you can think of, has lots of good reasons not to move there.
The regions I would most avoid in a move are tornado states. Warm weather in the South/Midwest = tornados
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement