Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 AM

888 posts, read 890,022 times

Advertisements

For those who are attracted to the allure of "side hustling", what do you think about panhandling? There has got to be a reason all them folks stand by freeway exits and major intersections with their handwritten messages etched on a wrinkled piece of cardboard. You just need a good message, some sunscreen and patience like the fellow who can sit in a rocking chair all day long whittling a tree branch.

"Older worker with no pension that nobody will hire - help me I'm hungry."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 09:07 AM

743 posts, read 766,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Lots of people in our mostly retired community have "side hustles", although hustle makes it sound like you are doing something illegal.
I agree. "Side hustle" sounds ghetto.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 AM

107 posts, read 100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I tried selling plasma 4 times a week driving to a different town each time. Money was good and got a free orange or apple but I looked like Casper and felt weak and tired all the time.

Are you kidding? I'm surprised you're not dead; it's very dangerous. I donate platelets to the blood bank and I"m only allowed to do it once every 2 weeks and plasma less than that.

They tell me that I have a lot of platelets and it helps the cancer patients so that's why I do it. I don't get paid but because they need it so much they DO send me a cab because I don't have a car right now. Believe me, I could use the money.

So thanks, OP, great thread. And others who have contributed, all added to the conversation. I tried to rep where they'd let me. Some really great ideas.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
The underground economy is alive and well among the retirees. No SSA raise this year and medical continues to escalate.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:46 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
For those who are attracted to the allure of "side hustling", what do you think about panhandling? There has got to be a reason all them folks stand by freeway exits and major intersections with their handwritten messages etched on a wrinkled piece of cardboard. You just need a good message, some sunscreen and patience like the fellow who can sit in a rocking chair all day long whittling a tree branch.

In Los Angeles there are many panhandlers . Pretty much everytime I see one they are getting money from someone .
A couple days ago I saw someone getting honked at by a guy in a Jaguar while they were stopped on a green light to give someone money

I'm sure many are averaging about the min wage here of $10 per hour

Old 04-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'd rather cut some expenses if I need extra money. Too me, a lot of those SH are more work and bother than you'll get out of it.
I agree that keeping expenses and overhead down is a good idea for anyone, but to a point there is only so much you can cut .
Everyone has different priorities and things they like to spend money on .
Some people might really enjoy food and spend a lot on food , but don't care much about cars and some vice Versa

I do agree that a lot of side hustles are more work than these articles or gurus make it seem
There are a lot of people making money promoting the side hustle " lifestyle"

if there is a side hustle that aligns with your interests though .. It will seem less like work though

Old 04-03-2016, 12:09 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post

What do I think about panhandling? If you are really down and out and desperate for the money, I see no problem. But if you are not what you claim to be, it is the same as stealing; using lies to con people to give you money.

Now aggressive panhandling, that is something entirely different. It is the same as stealing or mugging someone.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:37 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
The underground economy is alive and well among the retirees. No SSA raise this year and medical continues to escalate.
I know several people in the underground economy, particularly related to the local music biz. Not just musicians but repair, sound, recording, etc.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
What do I think about panhandling? If you are really down and out and desperate for the money, I see no problem. But if you are not what you claim to be, it is the same as stealing; using lies to con people to give you money.

Now aggressive panhandling, that is something entirely different. It is the same as stealing or mugging someone.
Yes , in Los Angeles there have been people attacked or killed by panhandlers .
It's gotten pretty bad to where you pretty much can't go anywhere without being hit up

I visited Savannah ,GA a couple years ago and they had signs saying that panhandling was illegal and to let the police know if you are being asked for money .
As a result of the enforcement of the law it didn't seem to be an issue there .

Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
Are you kidding? I'm surprised you're not dead; it's very dangerous. I donate platelets to the blood bank and I"m only allowed to do it once every 2 weeks and plasma less than that.

They tell me that I have a lot of platelets and it helps the cancer patients so that's why I do it. I don't get paid but because they need it so much they DO send me a cab because I don't have a car right now. Believe me, I could use the money.

So thanks, OP, great thread. And others who have contributed, all added to the conversation. I tried to rep where they'd let me. Some really great ideas.
Of course I was kidding. It is a good idea to donate plasma to help others but I am such a weenie when it comes to needles, I can't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement