U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:50 PM

823 posts, read 3,068,461 times

Advertisements

I remembered when we were posting ideas on here: Retiring on a literal shoestring: support group

Check out what Millenials are doing to make a little extra cash by "side hustling"

What is side hustling:
https://studentloanhero.com/featured...-side-hustle/#
Do the Side Hustle: 5 Better Ways to Earn Extra Cash

27 sites with ideas you might use to make some extra money:
  1. How to start a side-hustle - Business Insider
  2. 50+ Ways To Make Money Fast By Side Hustling
  3. The Top 68 Side Hustles: Add Some More Money to Your Life - Money Peach
  4. https://thezoereport.com/living/work...lly-make-money
  5. 50+ Ways to Make Extra Money | Budgets Are Sexy
  6. 50+ Side Hustles You Can Start Pretty Quickly For $50 Or Less |
  7. The 12 Best Side Hustles For Making Extra Cash - SELF
  8. 29 Smart Ways to Make Money on the Side in 2016
  9. 114 Side Hustles: Ways to Make More Money - brokeGIRLrich
  10. https://www.pinterest.com/gogirlfinance/side-hustle-tip
  11. 95 Side Hustle Business Ideas You Can Start Today - Side Hustle Nation
  12. http://www.moneyunder30.com/side-hustle-ideas
  13. 40+ Expert Tips And Ways To Make Money On The Side
  14. https://www.dailyworth.com/posts/341...n-extra-income
  15. 101 Ways to earn extra money from side hustle
  16. How to Make Money - The Simple Dollar
  17. 20 Side Hustles You Can Start In Your 20s
  18. 37 Side Hustle Ideas | The Art Of Manliness
  19. How to Make Money Fast
  20. Side Hustles for the Military Family - 10 Ways to Make Extra Money
  21. The Ultimate guide to the 89 Best Side Hustles for 2016 - Better by Thought
  22. https://www.listenmoneymatters.com/s...ith-nick-loper
  23. Side Hustles Archives - Make Money Your Way
  24. Side Hustle Archives - Believe in a Budget
  25. Side Hustle: How to Make Money to Supplement Your Income
  26. https://grow.acorns.com/2016/02/6-si...ey-on-the-side
  27. https://www.raiseyourflag.com/blog/t...y-after-work-2

FORBES IS TALKING ABOUT IT Forbes Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 09:07 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,037,051 times
Wow, that post took a lot of effort!

Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 AM

5,808 posts, read 4,857,183 times
Lots of people in our mostly retired community have "side hustles", although hustle makes it sound like you are doing something illegal. Some of the ones that I can think of are dogsitting, housesitting, cleaning gutters, pressure washing homes and driveways, painting, doing windows, landscaping, interior design, making and selling homemade granola, e-baying estate sale finds, boat detailing, respite caregiving (LVN and RN), airport shuttling, limo service, selling skin care products, making and selling crafts (everything from woodworking, welding, to quilting), doing alterations, renting vacation properties, handyman work, catering, DJing, and, my favorite, playing in rock band w/paid gigs. I'm sure there are many others whom I don't know with even more creative.

Last edited by TheShadow; 04-02-2016 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 AM

890 posts, read 679,280 times
To me, side-hustling has an imagery of one doing something they like, maybe clever and one that results in easy money you can't believe. How about a perfect match of a part-time job or business with the very best of your skills and abilities?

That's my exit-strategy from the demands of my profession when I decide to pull my plug and join the hustle crowd.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 AM

747 posts, read 485,495 times
Great post, OP! Definitely much food for thought there.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:54 AM

19,894 posts, read 18,907,505 times
I'd like to rent my husband out as a dog walker.

But seriously, I've been selling on ebay for many years. It's a lot more complicated and more competitive than it used to be but it still brings in some extra money and, believe me, you are BUSY all the time.

I used to attend focus groups but once you turn 65, they don't seem to want you anymore.

As for the medical studies, I did those for a while but I stopped when they wanted you to take new, unapproved medications. The only studies I took were for eye drops that were already on the market but no experimental stuff. There was an article one time about medical studies (in London?) where people got very sick or even died from experimental medicines.

You can sell your stuff on facebook yardsale--a great way to downsize and you are mostly selling to your neighbors so it's not quite as risky as Craigs List. It's wonderful for downsizing.

Then there are the online surveys. They want certain demographic groups. Sometimes I qualify but more often than not they ask if you are Hispanic and if you are honest and say No, that's it!

Anyone who is artsy crafty could do well on Etsy though. You can also sell vintage items there--like your old coat from the 1960s. Yes, our clothing is vintage. or maybe that's

I've probably just repeated a lot of what was in those links; I only read the first few. But it's kind of fun to get extra money for doing practically nothing and if you live in a boring area, it at least gets you out of the house and with other people.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:19 AM

6,575 posts, read 8,012,997 times
Just beware that some of these things require permits from your city/county, even selling lemonade in front of your house, or bottles of water in a park.

Texas cops shut down kids' 'illegal' lemonade stand - CNNPolitics.com

Old 04-02-2016, 09:46 AM

13,307 posts, read 6,375,629 times
My husband is doing consulting work. What they pay him per hour is beyond side hustling money. But it feels like side hustling when you compare to the $800 for 15 minutes that he used to get.
I'm doing a little bit of trading for side hustling, but not as frequent as I used to do before. I'm trying to set up in non taxable account so I can avoid paying tax.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,078,370 times
I tried selling plasma 4 times a week driving to a different town each time. Money was good and got a free orange or apple but I looked like Casper and felt weak and tired all the time.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:29 AM

30,704 posts, read 49,503,410 times
You have a link there for military families. During my Active Duty career we collected an assortment of apartment complexes.

Now as a retiree, I breed pigs and produce organic food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or