U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:54 PM

100 posts, read 79,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I had a popup that said I had a virus and to call 888-732-8083. I was leery, but called the number & as usual, a foreign person answered. He said he would help me to get rid of it but needed certain information. I said I would think about it & get back to them.

Then I did a complete scan with the service I have & guess what - there was no virus detected. I'm updating everything to make sure I am fully and completely protected.

I don't know what those folks would have done to my computer but have to get the word out. I will post this on a media site also.
It's an advertisement. Like a mix between a TV commercial and a newspaper ad.

Just ignore them. You should install adblock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 08:19 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,173,173 times
If you call, they will ask you to give them permission to go INTO you computer. Then I want you to realize that they have access to EVERYTHING.

Don't call, don't pay the pop up ANY ATTENTION. IT IS A SCAM!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:36 PM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
My screen did freeze & I had to physically shut down my computer with the button. I ran a full scan with MacAvee, which actually took a couple of hours. Do I really have to do anything else?

I am so glad I posted this. I was unaware this was out there and I am sure others didn't know either.

Thanks to all for the information and advice you shared.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,115,649 times
meo92953, you should be fine now.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,329,960 times
When I get a pop-up like that I click Fn+F2 (I have a PC), which takes me off-line. I do not click the box, or click any X in the box, etc. Once I am off-line, I shut everything down and start it up again.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:20 AM

21,541 posts, read 44,018,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Sometimes a machine is so filled with malware that it takes multiple tools to finally eradicate a machine.
This is exactly right in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Do I really have to do anything else?
Yes, utilize free Malwarebytes - and find a way to scan any downloads. I bought HitmanPro which you can set to do just that. If you got a popup, something got through. I'm not a fan of McAfee - as your story is similar to many others I've read from McAfee users. You should NOT have any popups, imho.

I now use ESET after Trend Micro corrupted on me a four years ago because of a virus attack (or so I was told) - not to mention Trend was a serious drag on performance when scanning - and was all but impossible to uninstall. I eventually figured it out after more googling - even had to go into registry keys - which can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (I don't - so I was very cautious).

However, when Trend corrupted and before I installed ESET, I ran bare (stupid) for a few months, thinking NoScript might keep the culprits at bay. NOT.

About six weeks later I got the redirect virus - every time I googled and clicked a link I was redirected to another site - PLUS other popups.

More googling and everyone said HitmanPro (free at the time) would clear the redirect. I ran it couple of times, reset restore points, and thought that was that. UNTIL popups happened again, only worse a few weeks later. Fortunately, machine didn't freeze - but it was close.

Went to WilderSecurity and read a bunch of comments all of which recommended running multiple programs.

So, I ran Hitman again, cleared out the issues.

Ran the free ESET scan (still hadn't purchased the software but had been researching) - which found a bunch of issues.

Then ran free Kaspersky TDSS killer - which found at least six more nasty rootkits.

Then ran free Malwarebytes - which found eight or ten more issues.

I then installed ESET antivirus and scanned daily for over a year. ESET found and quarantined ten more trojans, rootkits, and other viruses during its scans for at least six months after it was installed. Now scans are clear, and ESET runs like a champ with absolutely no drag on the machine. I have had NARY a problem since. No popups, nothing. I love ESET.

At the same time, I bought HitmanPro - which I run weekly - it's great at clearing cookies and catching malware - and which I've set to scan any download - pdf or program. Takes a few extra minutes - but worth it. That said, as a general rule, I avoid downloading anything but the most necessary software.

I still run free Malwarebytes and Kaspersky TDSS killer every now and then, and the ESET scan about once a month, in addition to having ESET antivirus running in the background. Malwarebytes and Hitman also found a couple of things within that first year, as well.

I've also installed AdBlock - but that was done a couple of years later and as a defense when CD began running random ads - not as a protection against viruses. If it helps with that, so much the better.

I've learned one program will not catch all the bad guys. I'm wireless, which makes me even more vulnerable.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-04-2016 at 01:35 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,013,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is exactly right in my experience.

Yes, utilize free Malwarebytes - and find a way to scan any downloads. I bought HitmanPro which you can set to do just that. If you got a popup, something got through. I'm not a fan of McAfee - as your story is similar to many others I've read from McAfee users. You should NOT have any popups, imho.

I now use ESET after Trend Micro corrupted on me a four years ago because of a virus attack (or so I was told) - not to mention Trend was a serious drag on performance when scanning - and was all but impossible to uninstall. I eventually figured it out after more googling - even had to go into registry keys - which can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (I don't - so I was very cautious).

However, when Trend corrupted and before I installed ESET, I ran bare (stupid) for a few months, thinking NoScript might keep the culprits at bay. NOT.

About six weeks later I got the redirect virus - every time I googled and clicked a link I was redirected to another site - PLUS other popups.

More googling and everyone said HitmanPro (free at the time) would clear the redirect. I ran it couple of times, reset restore points, and thought that was that. UNTIL popups happened again, only worse a few weeks later. Fortunately, machine didn't freeze - but it was close.

Went to WilderSecurity and read a bunch of comments all of which recommended running multiple programs.

So, I ran Hitman again, cleared out the issues.

Ran the free ESET scan (still hadn't purchased the software but had been researching) - which found a bunch of issues.

Then ran free Kaspersky TDSS killer - which found at least six more nasty rootkits.

Then ran free Malwarebytes - which found eight or ten more issues.

I then installed ESET antivirus and scanned daily for over a year. ESET found and quarantined ten more trojans, rootkits, and other viruses during its scans for at least six months after it was installed. Now scans are clear, and ESET runs like a champ with absolutely no drag on the machine. I have had NARY a problem since. No popups, nothing. I love ESET.

At the same time, I bought HitmanPro - which I run weekly - it's great at clearing cookies and catching malware - and which I've set to scan any download - pdf or program. Takes a few extra minutes - but worth it. That said, as a general rule, I avoid downloading anything but the most necessary software.

I still run free Malwarebytes and Kaspersky TDSS killer every now and then, and the ESET scan about once a month, in addition to having ESET antivirus running in the background. Malwarebytes and Hitman also found a couple of things within that first year, as well.

I've also installed AdBlock - but that was done a couple of years later and as a defense when CD began running random ads - not as a protection against viruses. If it helps with that, so much the better.

I've learned one program will not catch all the bad guys. I'm wireless, which makes me even more vulnerable.
When you get this many issues, it helps to make yourself a standard, non administrative user. The last machine I fixed had similar issues and when I finally cleaned it up I set the users on the machines all to standard so they don't have rights to install anything unless they provide the administrator account info. it works as an extra step so you don't accidentally click "yes" and give a virus permission to install which in turn installs other programs that ensure the first program cannot be removed without another instance immediately getting installed. They also block virus scanners from getting the latest db update and can also redirect websites as well as prevent you from accessing the registry or task manager.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:30 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,018,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
When you get this many issues, it helps to make yourself a standard, non administrative user.a
Although I'm the only user on this machine, I may consider doing this if it forces me to think again before hitting yes. These days I am really cautious even though Hitman is set to scan any download. I think the issues I had and those buried deep in the system and only found later as ESET, Hitman and Malwarebytes scans continued to run repeatedly for months after ESET was installed were a result of that virus attack and running w/o antivirus for a couple of months while I decided which program to buy. Just like cockroaches, if you see one, the next question is "where are the others?" If OP's antivirus let through one what else is buried? If I were her, I'd be running at least two other programs to doublecheck and not just rely on McAfee scan.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:58 PM

107 posts, read 72,343 times
Thanks for all the info to the above posters. I think a few years ago I may have fallen for that, or something similar. They didn't call my phone but there was some kind of warning with bells on the computer. I was so afraid of virus that I paid some money to then, although I don't recall how much. And plus I was up all night finishing a home project I had started. That's my excuse, not that I'm naive.

I now have my little Xhromebook and every once in a while I'll come across a site and a red pop-up comes on saying there's danger ahead I just click it off.

Last edited by Noccidoggo; 04-06-2016 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: home, not hoe. I was not finishing a hoe project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or