U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:20 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,615,322 times

Advertisements

Luvforhorses...I see you are in NC. 11 years ago I bought a vacation home in WNC. I made wonderful friends, I take classes and I have 2 horses!!!! I have a group of friends all 50s 60s and 70s and we all have horses!!! I've lived here full time since 2007. There is no more beautiful place imo than the Blue Ridge Mountains! After 25 years in fl I was truly sick of the beach and I yearned to experience the country...I grew up in NYC where you don't even know the people in the apartment next door...I'm in Avery County and it's HEAVEN !!!! Have you taken a few trips to the mountains. ..you might just fall in love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:43 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,311,930 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Luvforhorses...I see you are in NC. 11 years ago I bought a vacation home in WNC. I made wonderful friends, I take classes and I have 2 horses!!!! I have a group of friends all 50s 60s and 70s and we all have horses!!! I've lived here full time since 2007. There is no more beautiful place imo than the Blue Ridge Mountains! After 25 years in fl I was truly sick of the beach and I yearned to experience the country...I grew up in NYC where you don't even know the people in the apartment next door...I'm in Avery County and it's HEAVEN !!!! Have you taken a few trips to the mountains. ..you might just fall in love
To me there is no more beautiful place than the Blue Ridge.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:53 PM

24,961 posts, read 23,873,661 times
People move to North Carolina when they retire. Since you're already there, can you explain what you dislike about the area?

Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
These are some great ideas, thanks everyone. I worry about CA because of the drought and the very high property taxes for those moving into the area. With my dogs I'd want a single family home.

Should I assume that places with generally high turnover are best for single 65+ newcomers as well?

If anyone has suggestions for more, specific, communities to look into, I'd really appreciate learning about them. Your personal experiences are great to read about.
Property taxes in CA are based on the sales price of your home. Then, they are regulated and will always stay based on the selling price as long as you own it, even if it increases in value by millions. I think you're misinformed about property taxes in CA.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:43 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,956,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Property taxes in CA are based on the sales price of your home. Then, they are regulated and will always stay based on the selling price as long as you own it, even if it increases in value by millions. I think you're misinformed about property taxes in CA.
Since housing is very expensive, the property tax "resets" to a high value when a newcomer buys. Seniors with existing homes in CA don't have this problem when they buy new, which allows the prices to be a little higher without consequence to the older californians.

As for living in NC, I do love it and live in a lovely area. The problem is it is so lovely I could become a hermit here, so I need a place where it is encouraging to be more social, plus where I can continue learning and developing as an individual as well.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:14 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,311,930 times
Default Have you thought about moving to a college town in NC

Quote:
Since housing is very expensive, the property tax "resets" to a high value when a newcomer buys. Seniors with existing homes in CA don't have this problem when they buy new, which allows the prices to be a little higher without consequence to the older californians.

As for living in NC, I do love it and live in a lovely area. The problem is it is so lovely I could become a hermit here, so I need a place where it is encouraging to be more social, plus where I can continue learning and developing as an individual as well.
The Ollie program in Asheville is great. I'm sure it is also good in other NC locals. There are a lot of single meet-ups. The Newcomers Group has an active solo-sisters group. You must be in one of the beautiful smaller towns.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:49 AM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Quote:

Seniors in CA don't get a better deal on taxes or on new sales prices. Any new sale has taxes based on the selling price. Then, it doesn't get reassessed to a higher value as long as you own it (cap of around 1% per year), so you don't have to worry about property taxes going up and up, as the property keeps getting reassessed, which is the case in most other states.

If you're saying the selling price of a home in CA is more than you want to pay, sure, that makes sense. But, the entire state of CA is not expensive. And many other things are much cheaper in CA. Wine, groceries (which are not taxed) especially produce which is mainly grown here, electricity can be cheaper if you are in a PUD or somewhere with mild temperatures so you don't need as much heating and cooling.

But, I guess the misperception that everything in CA is so much more expensive keeps the population down. And of course, most of this huge state has nearly zero population, but people like to believe the entire state is Los Angeles.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:27 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,906,266 times
I don't live 'in' The Villages, Fl but in a community right next door with larger yards and much cheaper homes. I couldn't afford to be in The Villages as a single senior nor do I want to be three feet from neighbors on all sides. Our dog park consists of acres of open fields.

This area is perfect for seniors and single seniors. There is so much to do within a few short minutes it's incredible. Last night I went to the opera and home in ten minutes. No driving to a crime ridden inner city and having to park in a tenuous area. There are classes available on all sorts of topics and you can teach your own if you want to. AAA bus trip last week to the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs. Beaches are a day trip but lakes and springs are closer.

I love being in a place with so many shopping, entertainment venues, and restaurant options and still surrounded by professional thoroughbred horse ranches. I have never been anyplace that has more music entertainment and I've lived in places famous for it. Traffic is bad with the winter people and summer is hot but you can get to dozens of places and everyplace necessary by golf cart if need be.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,308,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
The villages Florida.

If a club doesn't exist for what you
want do, there can be!
Many people enjoy The Villages yet several friends found there were a lot of cliques i.e. like middle school with several "mean girls." As long as you play golf, the men seem to do alright.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:57 PM

14,009 posts, read 20,317,250 times
Default All real estate is local

Quote:
live among other singles with single family homes
What is your house purchase budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or