U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:36 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,527,506 times

Advertisements

I have found Knoxville TN very friendly. And their Mercury paper lists all sorts of activities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 05:43 PM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
I envisioned Tennessee for a long time but picked Arizona while visiting delighted as, for the first time in a long time I had no allergies. And there were no mosquitoes! And the mountains are as majestic as claimed.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:01 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyinterests1962 View Post
This thread is helpful and validating. It's good to hear of other single women searching for most if not all the things I am looking at now, at 55, single and now an empty-nester. I still work full-,time but remotely so I'm able to relocate. I've been gathering information for the last year on possible cities or areas to move to where I would be happier. I'm ready for a change or near- ready and while Johnson County, KS has been a wonderful place for the last twenty years to put down roots and raise my son with my ex- husband, I find myself in an area of almost exclusively couples, most unwilling to include singles.
Please add to this thread if you have experience or know of an area or city that is fairly affordable ( relative, I know, but you get the gist) moderate climate, fun classes and options for kayaking, horseback riding and cultural offerings as well. I cannot take the cold in KS any longer, no single digit winter weather recommendations , please. While I'm sure Buffalo & Minnaoplis are great, there is no doubt they are not for me. Any ideas would be appreciated.
You don't get everything on your list, since it includes affordable. But, if you can take really hot, dry summers, the Redding, CA area would probably fit everything else. The town of Red Bluff is just south, as is Anderson, both nice and smaller, but within 30 minutes. Winters are great in Redding. Summers are scary hot for nearly half the year.

But, lots of horse people, kayaking on Whiskeytown Lake or on the rivers, etc. Good entertainment comes to town. I lived there a year, but it was too hot for me. Otherwise, I liked it.

City of Redding | Home

Red Bluff Round-Up

https://www.nps.gov/whis/planyourvis...erprograms.htm

Shasta Dogs

https://www.reddingcivic.com/events/

Old 08-31-2017, 11:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
no snow, beach, and gal over age 65.... seems... a 'cruise ship retirement' would suit many for enough yrs to go around the world a few times visiting different ports / regions.

Ladies seem to enjoy cruising, guys climb the walls (often). Some guys really enjoy it. (especially if they like to dance with the many gals !!!)

I do know several solo women farmers in their 80's. (and quite capable and happy). They are really good with their animals (as heartbreaking / heavy as it is to slaughter and dress livestock... they do it all (and then some)). Dealing with predators taking the chicks and lambs... Not for the faint of heart.

My neighbor gal (age 80+) is a pro at using her Bobcat skid loader. (they are not as easy as appears, and very tippy on rough terrain.) I recently saw her cutting large trees with her chain saw.

My mom (at age 87) tried a senior community for 3 months , Not to her tastes, she needs S-P-A-C-E and independence. Everyone is different. (Thank goodness)

Old 09-01-2017, 03:26 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
no snow, beach, and gal over age 65.... seems... a 'cruise ship retirement' would suit many for enough yrs to go around the world a few times visiting different ports / regions.

Ladies seem to enjoy cruising, guys climb the walls (often). Some guys really enjoy it. (especially if they like to dance with the many gals !!!)

I do know several solo women farmers in their 80's. (and quite capable and happy). They are really good with their animals (as heartbreaking / heavy as it is to slaughter and dress livestock... they do it all (and then some)). Dealing with predators taking the chicks and lambs... Not for the faint of heart.

My neighbor gal (age 80+) is a pro at using her Bobcat skid loader. (they are not as easy as appears, and very tippy on rough terrain.) I recently saw her cutting large trees with her chain saw.

My mom (at age 87) tried a senior community for 3 months , Not to her tastes, she needs S-P-A-C-E and independence. Everyone is different. (Thank goodness)

Viva la difference.

My MIL 84 is the farmer type. I have to limit what she has in my yard. She can plant everything but no livestock. She wanted chickens, that is where I draw the line.

I love cruising my wife not so much. I could travel around the world and just enjoy myself to no end. I think my wife enjoys a cruise or two but she would get bored.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:58 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,652,026 times
Read a post in a fb group from someone living in a new "deliberate community" on Whidby Island. I googled those terms and came up with several communities none of which sounded exactly like what was being described but got the impression that Whidby Island (an island near Seattle) seems a bit of a hotbed for this. Didn't research more, just putting it out there.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Read a post in a fb group from someone living in a new "deliberate community" on Whidby Island. ...
There is a single women housing co-op in Bremerton,WA as well as several intentional communities in western WA. (+ retired teachers housing co-op in Olympia), Port Townsend hosts an Eco village.

Several options in Portland, including an active house / equity sharing organization.

then there are the Asheville groups ... (Marianne is a wealth of information and very engaging)
You are being redirected...
https://www.meetup.com/Asheville-Wom...r-Life-Meetup/
Older Women Saving Money, Avoiding Loneliness With Roommates, House Sh...
Boomer Women Find Creative Community Solutions – WNC Woman Magazine

I still hope to find / create a semi rural Cottage Community, small dwellings and large public and open spaces. I do want to keep it age 50+ and shared equity / co-op / LLC so everyone has a vested interest in not being a neighbor from hxll. I just need a few more Scandinavian elder friends with capital. (I know they are capable of working hard ). The prime organizers of the largest group of senior co-ops in USA, cautioned that it only works (well) with Scandinavians.. They are keen on 'hot-dish' meet-ups, and a significant % of Danish and many in Denmark communities live in co-housing. (usually mixed generational) +/-. in USA I have heard complaints from elders, that dining with the young families is a challenge when the dog gets a seat at the table and the kids are free to eat off the floor. (if they choose to eat at all, instead of disrupting the dining time for the attention / direction they definitely do not get from their parents (who are busy loving the dog).

And as mentioned several times by previous posters... Many women are plenty happy, secure, and engaged living alone. Such as my MOM. Really ALONE!!! My sis recently spent $800 to fly herself and grand-daughter to see mom... Mom opened the door and told sis to "Get Lost... I asked for granddaughter NOT YOU!", a very typical and expected comment. Most are far more hurtful.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:57 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Read a post in a fb group from someone living in a new "deliberate community" on Whidby Island. I googled those terms and came up with several communities none of which sounded exactly like what was being described but got the impression that Whidby Island (an island near Seattle) seems a bit of a hotbed for this. Didn't research more, just putting it out there.
Well, the weather sucks on Whidby Island. Had in-laws who lived there. Also, can't imagine there's much to do there. When my husband and I would visit, we'd spend our evenings catching fish off the pier. Snooze.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:21 PM

54 posts, read 29,780 times
Dunedin FL

Old 01-08-2018, 08:17 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,121 times
I am not single but have found our new home in Colorado Springs to be very senior-friendly. Especially in comparison to Austin where we moved from. Lots of senior-geared classes and activities, great library system, parks and trails, several universities. Property taxes are ridiculous low compared to some places. I think there are even some aging research programs at UCCS because there are so many older people and retired military here. There is also a co-op housing place in the older part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or