U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:37 AM

28 posts, read 33,352 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can you tell me the name of the community you live in next to The Village? I have a friend who wants to move to The Village but is concerned about the cost of housing there. Can you rent or do you have to own? Thanks, Candy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 930 times
Regarding Green Valley, AZ (from wikipedia) "According to a 2007 report by Pima County, 76,000 acre feet (94,000,000 m3) of water was pumped from the aquifer in the Upper Santa Cruz Valley in 2006, with 85 percent of that water being used for mining and agriculture. The remaining 15 percent was split between water used for golf courses and residential/commercial water use. The report explains that "The Green Valley area does not have a sustainable water supply given current groundwater pumping rates... the water table in Green Valley has been declining in past years, and is expected to decline even faster as water demands [continue to increase]...". The report concludes that "Water supplies will become critical within the next ten years."[8]

Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 AM

371 posts, read 182,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Many senior women are living alone, either far from their children or they never had children. Some of us are highly educated in specialized fields but only minimally engaged after retirement. Some of us are not exactly joiners but like to interact with others with interesting, well-thought out ideas and talents. So where are the best places for us to retire to? I'm betting most of the responses will say university towns, but how hard is it to break into social circles there as an outsider?

In particular, I would be interested in a town where older single people are not only accepted but they don't feel awkward dining and going to events when alone, and where couples might be willing to include singles in activities, or where couples are not dismissive of those living alone. A place where older single women are not just expected to hole up in apartments or condos or tiny townhouses, but where they might live among other singles with single family homes that are not necessarily part of a huge 55+ community. A place where people are still as interested in nature as in crowded festivals and huge city-organized events.

Any ideas?
portola calif

Old 05-15-2018, 01:11 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judi65 View Post
Regarding Green Valley, AZ (from wikipedia) "According to a 2007 report by Pima County, 76,000 acre feet (94,000,000 m3) of water was pumped from the aquifer in the Upper Santa Cruz Valley in 2006, with 85 percent of that water being used for mining and agriculture. The remaining 15 percent was split between water used for golf courses and residential/commercial water use. The report explains that "The Green Valley area does not have a sustainable water supply given current groundwater pumping rates... the water table in Green Valley has been declining in past years, and is expected to decline even faster as water demands [continue to increase]...". The report concludes that "Water supplies will become critical within the next ten years."[8]

The above is 10 years old and has frequently been posted by first time posters. It does not tell the whole story.

However, nearly ten years later in 2017, the water supply in Green Valley is not "critical" as was projected nearly ten years ago. In fact the Arizona Department of Water Resources continues to issue certificates of Assured Water Supply throughout the Green Valley and Sahuarita area. According to the ADWR, "Applicants are required to demonstrate an assured water supply that will be physically, legally, and continuously available for the next 100 years before the developer can record plats or sell parcels.
(http://www.azwater.gov/AzDWR/WaterMa...AAWSLaunch.htm) Additionally, the ADWR takes into consideration "current and committed demand, as well as growth projections.

The original 2007 report from Pima County also had a number of recommendations. Four out of five of the recommendations were based around taking advantage the "Central Arizona Project (CAP) renewable water supplies, as well as recharge of the same". The report further states, "the size of a pipeline that would convey Central Arizona Project water for direct use or recharge for the entire Upper Basin would need to be at least 72 inches in diameter. There is now one 36" pipline complete with a second 36" CAP pipeline slated for completion in the later part of 2017. (http://u.realgeeks.media/greenvalley...ws_Updated.pdf) Totaling a combined 72 inches of pipline as was recommended.

The 2007 Pima County report also assumes that the two largest users of water, mining and agriculture, will remain unchanged or grow. However, the nearly 7,000 acre Pecan Grove (operated by Farmers Investment Company - FICO) has been approved by the Town of Sahuarita to be "...re-developed for other usages such as residential and commercial space. This project is called Sahuarita Farms..."
http://sahuaritaaz.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1523

This would all but remove the the second largest user of water in the area over the next 35-50 years. None of this was accounted for in the original Pima County report.

The Upper Santa Cruz Valley has several major water users, all pumping water out of the same aquifer. Most area water users are for-profit companies. ASARCO-Mission Mine, Freeport-McMoRan Sierrita Mine and Farmers Investment Co. (farming) are industrial scale water users. Residential water is provided by Farmers Water Company, Sahuarita Water Company, Las Quintas Serenas Water Company, Quail Creek Water Company, Community Water Company of Green Valley (a nonprofit member owned cooperative), and the Green Valley Water District (a governmental water utility). The proliferation of water companies can be partially explained by the fact that Arizona water law places few limits on the amount of water that can be pumped with costs limited only to drilling, pumping, distribution, etc.

Since 2007 the Upper Santa Cruz Providers and Users Group (USCPUG) has been working to bring all local water entities, including the Town of Sahuarita, to the same table. Most of the water users and utilities are now members of USCPUG. The organization has published an analysis and projection of area water use through 2030. It has joined with the U S Bureau of Reclamation to lay the groundwork for transportation and use of Colorado River water from the Central Arizona Project (CAP) canal to greatly reduce reliance on pumping groundwater. When the system is successfully completed, the excess pumping will be largely or fully eliminated. The process of design and construction is now largely completed with one 36" CAP pipeline complete and the second nearing completion.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:09 AM

446 posts, read 285,857 times
Very interesting post. I'm widowed and also looking for a different place to settle. Keep the info coming.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:36 AM

7,224 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The above is 10 years old and has frequently been posted by first time posters. It does not tell the whole story.

However, nearly ten years later in 2017, the water supply in Green Valley is not "critical" as was projected nearly ten years ago. In fact the Arizona Department of Water Resources continues to issue certificates of Assured Water Supply throughout the Green Valley and Sahuarita area. According to the ADWR, "Applicants are required to demonstrate an assured water supply that will be physically, legally, and continuously available for the next 100 years before the developer can record plats or sell parcels.
(http://www.azwater.gov/AzDWR/WaterMa...AAWSLaunch.htm) Additionally, the ADWR takes into consideration "current and committed demand, as well as growth projections.

The original 2007 report from Pima County also had a number of recommendations. Four out of five of the recommendations were based around taking advantage the "Central Arizona Project (CAP) renewable water supplies, as well as recharge of the same". The report further states, "the size of a pipeline that would convey Central Arizona Project water for direct use or recharge for the entire Upper Basin would need to be at least 72 inches in diameter. There is now one 36" pipline complete with a second 36" CAP pipeline slated for completion in the later part of 2017. (http://u.realgeeks.media/greenvalley...ws_Updated.pdf) Totaling a combined 72 inches of pipline as was recommended.

The 2007 Pima County report also assumes that the two largest users of water, mining and agriculture, will remain unchanged or grow. However, the nearly 7,000 acre Pecan Grove (operated by Farmers Investment Company - FICO) has been approved by the Town of Sahuarita to be "...re-developed for other usages such as residential and commercial space. This project is called Sahuarita Farms..."
http://sahuaritaaz.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1523

This would all but remove the the second largest user of water in the area over the next 35-50 years. None of this was accounted for in the original Pima County report.

The Upper Santa Cruz Valley has several major water users, all pumping water out of the same aquifer. Most area water users are for-profit companies. ASARCO-Mission Mine, Freeport-McMoRan Sierrita Mine and Farmers Investment Co. (farming) are industrial scale water users. Residential water is provided by Farmers Water Company, Sahuarita Water Company, Las Quintas Serenas Water Company, Quail Creek Water Company, Community Water Company of Green Valley (a nonprofit member owned cooperative), and the Green Valley Water District (a governmental water utility). The proliferation of water companies can be partially explained by the fact that Arizona water law places few limits on the amount of water that can be pumped with costs limited only to drilling, pumping, distribution, etc.

Since 2007 the Upper Santa Cruz Providers and Users Group (USCPUG) has been working to bring all local water entities, including the Town of Sahuarita, to the same table. Most of the water users and utilities are now members of USCPUG. The organization has published an analysis and projection of area water use through 2030. It has joined with the U S Bureau of Reclamation to lay the groundwork for transportation and use of Colorado River water from the Central Arizona Project (CAP) canal to greatly reduce reliance on pumping groundwater. When the system is successfully completed, the excess pumping will be largely or fully eliminated. The process of design and construction is now largely completed with one 36" CAP pipeline complete and the second nearing completion.
Maybe I'll keep my GV home after all! I was ready to sell yesterday.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:41 AM

3 posts, read 1,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Thanks Fox Terrier! Princeton sounds nice. If only the property taxes were not so high, but maybe that can be tolerated. And Aqua Blue, I am sure it is a state of mind, but it is hard to achieve it without a starting point. What would you suggest?

I'm hungry to be leaving Jersey, though I live in an area that is much coveted and (over)glorified by many - the southern shore. NJ was ranked 49th in "quality of life" in a 2018 study by U.S. News and World Report, and the economy and future outlook is one of the worst as well. Property taxes and the inflated housing market (not considering the chances all taxes will go up to bolster the floundering $$ status) will suck so much of my retirement funds - unnecessarily - for not such a fun place to live. (I'm not a native but I've lived here on and off for much of my life.)

I'm single now, and as I'm planning for my upcoming retirement - (I consider myself partially retired now since the ability to find a quality good paying job isn't reflected in what I dismiss as glowing but false "low unemployment" numbers which don't consider how many of the employed are actually UNDER-employed) - I'm looking elsewhere. I have a daughter who lives nearby and who is pressuring me to stay, but it seems foolish to flush my funds away here.

New Jersey, along with Vermont and Alaska, also has the new scary reality of being one of the "fastest warming states" in the US, and the last two miserable summers seem to chalk up this as a reality for me. [mod cut] (According to data from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Associated Press in an analysis of NOAA. findings.) Who knows if my home will be underwater soon as well. My town floods terribly - even when it hasn't rained for days.

I'm considering moving back to the Pennsylvania mountains where I spent a happy decade raising my kids in a small closely knit community. I likely won't return to the same town, but I love the area, and the cost of living and quality of life seem to make me happy just thinking about it.

Best of luck to you luv4horses.

Last edited by Out of Jersey!; 09-22-2018 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: invalid hyperlink

Old 09-22-2018, 08:51 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
Default Arizona works for me in retirement

I didn't realize just how much it was costing me to stay in Minnesota. My rent was cheaper there but everything else was costly.

Still can hardly believe I actually have extra money at the end of the month, which goes into savings. Some of it was just boredom and spending money on unnecessary things but groceries and utilities were higher. Internet was higher. These are just an example. I was constantly dipping into investment funds. That has stopped and I watch it grow every month, glad it's there if I need it.

Now I get excited looking at the beautiful mountains in front of me and the awesome sunsets most nights. I'm never bored.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,279 times
I seriously considered Arizona, but having always lived in the Northeast I was afraid I wouldn't be suited to a desert lifestyle. (My younger daughter just moved to New Mexico and truly loves it. She'd never even visited before she took the plunge, but at 24, her mistakes would probably be less "costly" to her in terms of time misspent than even a couple of years would be at my age. lol)

I'm so glad to hear that you're loving it! AND that your piggy bank is getting chubbier since your move. Just eliminating my HOA would save me tens of thousands over the course of 10 or 20 years or more. So many communities here have HOAs now. They're so costly and restrictive, and being a bit of a rebel, it just irks me to have to ask permission to plant a little tree in my backyard or to get my roof repaired.

AZ is a big change from MN. Did you need a period of time to adjust, or did you take to it right away?

Old 09-22-2018, 12:19 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,527,506 times
I spent a month renting in a non age restricted retirement community and it went very well. So I am going to be on the lookout for those and try them out.

I had all the peace and quiet I wanted but there were plenty of activities scheduled. If I wanted to do more, I could have. The people were friendly and I always had someone to talk with.

All of which was good for this single retired woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or