Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:40 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,089,739 times

Advertisements

NoMoreSnowForMe: Have you ever heard of the MeetUp group? You can Google it and see what is offered in your own particular area. Under the heading of MeetUp, there are many smaller groups that offer many varied activities. Outdoors, hiking, reading, dining, crafts, games, etc etc.

I belong to a "BabyBoomerSingle2011" group here in the Syracuse, NY area. And it consists of single people who do things as a group, watch sporting games on TV at a pub, play kickball, play pitch for a period of weeks followed by a banquet. Bowling.

But for a truly full idea of what you can find in this group I encourage you to Google it.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 01:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,314,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
NoMoreSnowForMe: Have you ever heard of the MeetUp group? You can Google it and see what is offered in your own particular area. Under the heading of MeetUp, there are many smaller groups that offer many varied activities. Outdoors, hiking, reading, dining, crafts, games, etc etc.

I belong to a "BabyBoomerSingle2011" group here in the Syracuse, NY area. And it consists of single people who do things as a group, watch sporting games on TV at a pub, play kickball, play pitch for a period of weeks followed by a banquet. Bowling.

But for a truly full idea of what you can find in this group I encourage you to Google it.

Good luck!
I actually have checked out the meetups up here. There are only a couple listed. One is too far away, the other only has around 3 members and one is scary needy LOL. I never went, just read the online stuff.

This town is too small and the area is too isolated for even meetups. You need a bigger town.

I guess the bottom line is you just really need to be closer to a big city. Plus, you'll get better healthcare, too.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,934,346 times
I live in Vegas because of the weather and the fun factor. Tons of stuff for seniors here. Lots of outdoors things too if you appreciate the desert/hiking.

I work now and then and volunteer as well. For me those have been the best ways to meet people.

I do know my neighbors and I love my area. It's very urban but the kids still play outside and they are out in the street with their bikes and hopscotch all the time.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:02 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,393,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Many senior women are living alone, either far from their children or they never had children. Some of us are highly educated in specialized fields but only minimally engaged after retirement. Some of us are not exactly joiners but like to interact with others with interesting, well-thought out ideas and talents. So where are the best places for us to retire to? I'm betting most of the responses will say university towns, but how hard is it to break into social circles there as an outsider?

In particular, I would be interested in a town where older single people are not only accepted but they don't feel awkward dining and going to events when alone, and where couples might be willing to include singles in activities, or where couples are not dismissive of those living alone. A place where older single women are not just expected to hole up in apartments or condos or tiny townhouses, but where they might live among other singles with single family homes that are not necessarily part of a huge 55+ community. A place where people are still as interested in nature as in crowded festivals and huge city-organized events.

Any ideas?
Can you afford Walnut Creek, California? There is a community called Rossmoor, which you might want to Google.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,314,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Can you afford Walnut Creek, California? There is a community called Rossmoor, which you might want to Google.
Someone DMd me to ask where I'm going to move. Your post is the perfect segway. I'm moving back to the SF Bay Area (which is where Walnut Creek is, for anyone who doesn't know). I'm on waiting lists for subsidized senior apartments in the Santa Rosa area (a couple hours north of SF) and the south bay (San Jose area). I grew up in the east bay and prefer the south bay, although Walnut Creek is super nice.

Anywhere around the SF Bay Area will have wonderful recreation catalogs with tons of classes and there are bus tours, and lots of amazing community centers and senior centers.

I think any major city area should have them, though, all over the country.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:37 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,512,566 times
Quote:
Many senior women are living alone, either far from their children or they never had children. Some of us are highly educated in specialized fields but only minimally engaged after retirement. Some of us are not exactly joiners but like to interact with others with interesting, well-thought out ideas and talents. So where are the best places for us to retire to? I'm betting most of the responses will say university towns, but how hard is it to break into social circles there as an outsider?

(snip)

Any ideas?
I chose Tyler, TX. A mid-sized city in northeast Texas. Called the "piney woods" area. Good soil for gardening, a big medical complex, enough shopping (Sam's, WalMart, Berkshire's Groceries, some higher end gourmet shopping, Target, as well as the traditional Macy's and other dept stores). It's a pretty area, with lakes nearby, fishing, lots of trees in certain areas, some rolling terrain (not as rolling as where you live, but it's rolling compared to where I'm from....the Gulf Coast which is flat as far as the eye can see).

Tyler is marketed to retirees. It welcomes them. So you might look for a place like that...that WANTS retirees. That means that medical providers who specialize in ailments for seniors will probably be there, and other services aimed at seniors. AND it means there will be quite a few female retirees, since we females live longer. AND it means that there will be activities geared for seniors, like exercise classes. But the city has all age groups. It has a junior college & a 4 year university. So you might look for a place like that.

I think having a college or two in town is helpful. It keeps a place current and interesting. And keeps it from being fuddy duddy.

Having a big city nearby is also helpful (Tyler is near Dallas). A short jaunt to the Dallas Summer Musicals or the Texas State Fair, or sports event. I also have a few friends there.

It's important that the city also have some form of public transportation, since a single woman living alone might have to get somewhere but is too ill to drive. A cab system or a rail or bus system, for emergencies. Tyler has little to offer in this area, but it does have something: a cab system, and a meager bus system. Enough to get by, though I wish it would be more.

Tyler has a small symphony and a community theatre group. It also has occasional events, like Loretta Lynn or a jazz musician. Not like a big city, but enjoyable.

I wouldn't have any problem with going to the movies alone, or to the local symphony. I probably wouldn't go out to eat alone, since I go out to eat only to chat with friends and don't enjoy eating out generally.

Anyway, that's where I chose after much research. I was restricted to a certain area, though, because I wanted to be near family.

I think a big city is best, since it would have a lot more people to socialize with, and a lot more who come and go (newbies being more accepted). But in this area of the country, the big cities didn't work for me for various reasons.

Tyler seems to strike a good balance. A few hours' drive to see family, the big city Dallas just an hour or two away.

At least Tyler is mid-sized and not small. I don't think a small city would do at all. Boring, and you'd probably have to leave town to get treatment for certain ailments.

(I am also looking, though, at Louisiana, per my family's request (that's where they are and where I was raised). I doubt that will work for me, though, for various reasons.)

The downside to Tyler (and you may want to check on this) is that Tyler is very conservative politically, whereas I am not. That's important because people tend to make friends with like-minded people. Still, I hope that will work out, since I'm not far left, and I have a couple of rightwing friends. I'm also from the south, so do fit into that sort of group up to a point (I have a gun and all!).

But for what I want, Tyler seems to have it all. A pretty area, some pretty area lakes, fishing, parks, walking trails, good shopping, good medical care, LOW COST OF LIVING, lower housing cost than many places, LOW CRIME, great for gardening and growing fruit & veggies, not far from family, a mix of young and old. I'm a very lucky gal to have a spot nearby to retire to (I currently live in Dallas). Tyler even has a few meetup groups: Outdoor Adventure Group, "Making New Friends" group, "Singles Over 50," Meditation, Metaphysical Group, photography, etc.

Look for those things, I'd say. At least a few Meetup.com groups, a nearby university, a cab system and/or bus or rail system, and an area that has nature things around that you like (parks, walking trails, lakes), weather you like, low cost of living, not a high cost of buying a house.

Research, research, research!

Last edited by bpollen; 04-03-2016 at 08:39 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 11:28 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,647,565 times
Have you considered South Orange County? Demographers believe this area is "graying." If you can swing it financially, you might enjoy the small coastal town of Dana Point.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:07 AM

505 posts, read 714,359 times
Quote:
Thanks Fox Terrier! Princeton sounds nice. If only the property taxes were not so high, but maybe that can be tolerated. And Aqua Blue, I am sure it is a state of mind, but it is hard to achieve it without a starting point. What would you suggest?
It's been so long it is hard to think of a starting point. I would say movies are super easy. The lights are out, no one should be talking, etc.

I often get closer seats at concerts because there are frequently individual seats left from earlier selections. I usually take my Ipad with reading material as backup , altho I usually don't use it. Fairly frequently I chat with someone next to me at intermission while their partner say runs to the restroom. As for eating out there are always lots of people eating along when traveling for work so I guess I pretend I am one of them, lol.

At some point I realized that no one was really paying any attention to me, they didn't care: they were too caught up in there own world. I've never had anyone call attention to my being alone at an event.
Just do it, it is very liberating.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,961,528 times
These are some great ideas, thanks everyone. I worry about CA because of the drought and the very high property taxes for those moving into the area. With my dogs I'd want a single family home.

Should I assume that places with generally high turnover are best for single 65+ newcomers as well?

If anyone has suggestions for more, specific, communities to look into, I'd really appreciate learning about them. Your personal experiences are great to read about.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,621 posts, read 57,620,656 times
Since I like semi-rural, very nice areas, and a few intellectuals for mental stimulation, your choice is easy for me.

Locate communities near US National labs and go check them out to see which one fits. I have been really impressed with the seniors, facilitites, activities, and their active and exciting lives in these areas. (Including Walnut Creek / Livermore / Boulder / Oak Ridge / Princeton / Los Alamos / Idaho Falls / ....)

DOE National Laboratories | Department of Energy

NICE quality of life, the US National labs sure know how to place themselves in favorable locales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement