U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 04:39 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times

Advertisements

mathjak107, If I started receiving Social Security payments at age 62 and I'm now 68, would suspending now make sense, and then re-file at age 70? (suspending before the end of April )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 PM

71,655 posts, read 71,801,099 times
It always pays if you have a reason. My wife is doing just that . She started at 62 and is stopping at fra

Old 04-04-2016, 05:32 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,828,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well just because you are not effected does not mean major changes have not taken place . your comment to the op was if major changes took place it would be all over .

these were major changes and they were all over . google it , you will see .

Then I was right in my post. Not sure what your beef is.

I get lots of those over-sized postcards, and even some first-class mail advertisements. First they attempt to scare you with 'MAJOR CHANGES in SS' and how THEY can help you. Sometimes you can even get a free lunch if you sit through their presentation! LOL

They are just solicitations. As I said, and you concurred, if there were major changes to SS everyone would know about them.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Yeah okay , you are right ,these are unimportant changes :
If you knew the story behind them you would know they were major changes snuck through as part of the budget that blind sided the financial world as well as retirees.

Once the news broke it was everywhere from network news to article after article and was highly publicized.

The changes are some of the most major changes seen since they were put in place . The fact you didn't know or care does not in any way diminish the importance of all these changes and the effect on many retiree plans.

These changes can cost retirees as much as 100k in benefits they were planning on getting

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-04-2016 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,828,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yeah okay , you are right ,these are unimportant changes :
I'm confused. Can you point out which of my posts labeled the changes 'unimportant'?

All I said was that spousal benefits do not concern me. There is no way I can benefit or lose from changes in spousal benefits.

I advised the OP that those solicitations are just that; advertisements for investment firms. Am I wrong?

THIS is what I responded to:

Quote:
WE have received a number of card/emails asking us to attend informational events about the changes in social security.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 PM

13,237 posts, read 6,340,776 times
I throw these cards away. I'm sure these people are not doing it for us our of their goodness, I mean what's in it for them.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
mathjak107, If I started receiving Social Security payments at age 62 and I'm now 68, would suspending now make sense, and then re-file at age 70? (suspending before the end of April )
mathjak107, sorry to bother you with this; I'm just wondering if you know the answer pertaining to above.
(if you do not, that's okay) My full retirement age was 66 and I'm currently 68. So I'm wondering if it makes sense for me to suspend now at age 68, and then re-file at 70. I started receiving Soc Security at age 62.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,894,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I am not married and have been single for the past 40 years. Pardon me for not being particularly concerned with changes in 'spousal benefits'.
Well, I'm single too, but anyone of SS age should maintain an awareness of rule changes. The "file and suspend" thing has been all over the retirement sites for months, including this one. Pretty hard to miss it, or at least be aware of it, even if it doesn't apply to you.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I'm confused. Can you point out which of my posts labeled the changes 'unimportant'?

All I said was that spousal benefits do not concern me. There is no way I can benefit or lose from changes in spousal benefits.

I advised the OP that those solicitations are just that; advertisements for investment firms. Am I wrong?

THIS is what I responded to:
this, below

Quote:
In my experience, these are just advertisements for investment companies.

If major, and I mean MAJOR changes were to take place in SS, it would be all over the news.
you just were not aware . it was very major and it was all over the news .

in fact we went to fidelity to get brought up to speed on the changes and they didn't try to sell us a thing .

it was a major change no one really even knew was on the drawing board and the information about all these changes was not released until after it was a done deal.

then it rocked the retirement planning industry as so many folks counted on these extra benefits .

divorced women get hit pretty hard now . they can no longer take spousal and let their's grow .

you can't say though that these spousal benefits were not a bit unfair to single people who were never married . they were a bonus that married couples could get if they were delaying .

the only perk singles lost was the ability to file and suspend so they could get a lump sum retroactive check going back to fra if they changed their mind .

that was a nice option to have . you could delay and if things do not go well health wise just ask for all your back pay . but that is now gone .

but married couples lost as much as 100k in planned benefits

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-05-2016 at 02:37 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
mathjak107, sorry to bother you with this; I'm just wondering if you know the answer pertaining to above.
(if you do not, that's okay) My full retirement age was 66 and I'm currently 68. So I'm wondering if it makes sense for me to suspend now at age 68, and then re-file at 70. I started receiving Soc Security at age 62.
you can pick up another 8% a year so it may pay but there are so many factors involved . nothing is ever a given 100% in each situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or