Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 11:45 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,424,368 times

Advertisements

The US government has nowhere near enough money to pay retirees.

According to credit rating agency Moody's state, local, and federal governments are about $7 trillion short in funding upcoming pension payments.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u...153435525.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 AM

12,996 posts, read 7,364,753 times
Which is why I try to model our retirement portfolio to be close to PERS.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:16 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,843,313 times
Long term, things are scary. Even short term, Medicare funding is scary. Some state and local pension systems are in serious trouble and some are not. It will be interesting to see what happens in places like Illinois.

Consider Detroit, whose bankruptcy threatened retirees with serious cuts. But they largely dodged the bullet, as the cut to pensions was only 4%, if memory serves. The bankruptcy court had pity on the Detroit retirees and protected them, is the way I see it.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:47 AM

660 posts, read 743,594 times
The government retirement system was designed to fail, and they want it to fail. The plan all along was to implode our current financial system.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,336,019 times
If I lost sleep over everything that could fail... My retirement plan, my medicare coverage, my social security, my bank, my desktop, my heart....

Old 04-07-2016, 08:09 AM

105,888 posts, read 107,840,851 times
yep , if i am going to worry about all these things that could happen then it will be to find my own solution to my own problem and how best to navigate through it .

i am not smart enough to solve the worlds problems , i just have to worry about solving my own .

it is like i say about the gold bugs . they all have visions in their head of all these doomsday scenario's and gold in their mind is all that survives .

it has been decades now and in every scenario it was always something else that did better at the days end no matter how bad the scenario was .

folks worry to much about what shape other's are in when they themselves need the time and effort put in to their own plan.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM

7,130 posts, read 9,209,371 times
If you focus on this stuff you end up isolated in a rural county with your guns, ammo, gold, fences, and cache of stored food and water.

I've been hearing tales of doom and gloom my whole life.

I refuse to live in fear.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 AM

660 posts, read 743,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you focus on this stuff you end up isolated in a rural county with your guns, ammo, gold, fences, and cache of stored food and water.

I've been hearing tales of doom and gloom my whole life.

Understanding reality and taking actions accordantly is not living in fear.

Fear is the tactic of choice to rule and control the public. They have done this for a very long time and they are using it more now than ever before. Fear of terrorism, fear of financial instability, fear of global warming, fear of police brutality, fear of nuclear attacks from Korea, China or Russia. Fear is used on a daily basis to scare the public into submission.

Financial instability is real and it's happening throughout the world and within the USA. It's getting worse not better. A person, a business, a local or state government or the federal government can not continue to pile up debt without the house of cards eventually collapsing.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,118,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The US government has nowhere near enough money to pay retirees.

According to credit rating agency Moody's state, local, and federal governments are about $7 trillion short in funding upcoming pension payments.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u...153435525.html

And yet the Senate and the President want a raise in THEIR pension plans!!!

Makes me glad I was born when I was in the early 50's instead of charting a new course being born in 2016. The whole world is such a mess, I would rather be 63 than 6 months!!! Count your blessings!!

Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,023,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

{Looks around}

Works for me.

I refuse to live in fear too. That's why I live in an isolated rural area with my guns, growing food, a deep well and a running clean stream, plenty of game. Alla y'all in the cities...well, too bad. Life is good here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement