U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:37 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,158,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Once past FRA, I don't think filing month matters much. File the month you turn FRA or age 70, and you'll get your check the next month.
Linda, my understanding is that the potential lost of some DRCs if you don't file in January still matter after FRA. By definition, delayed retirement credits mean filing after FRA.

As shown in the SS rules which I posted earlier, between FRA and up to (not included) 70 years cases, when you apply for SS, the payment will be based on DRCs calculated on December of the year before. For example, if you file in June this year, your payment does not include the DRCs that you earned from Jan until the end of the year. These DRCs will only be counted starting January next year. In effect, you lose 5 months of DRCs in your monthly payments for 7 months.

Only when one files at 70 that the DRCs is calculated up to the month of your birthday. The payment (effective the 1st day of your birth month) but not paid until next month includes ALL DRCs and not just the DRCs calculated at the end of December the year before.

I find it puzzling or even ridiculous that SS rules are so complex and needlessly vary for different age group. With digital record and computers, how much time that it takes to calculate up to date DRCs for everybody and not just the people who has reached 70? Maybe some green eyeshade accountants had done some calculations that the gov. will save a bundle of money by making the rules complex !!!

I have done quite a bit of googling and could not find any official information on whether this lost DRCs are reimbursed. All the articles and discussions that I have read all seemed to confirm that UNLESS one plan to delay collecting SS until 70, one should not start collecting in the middle of the year, and it's best to start in January to ensure getting full DRCs.

Bottom line is that mathjak107's original answer to OP's situation (which is the same as my husband's situation) is not correct since the question is whether to collect SS on December (the month they turns 70 or next January). However, his advice of waiting until January is correct for the other cases of collecting SS payments with DRCs (i.e. AFTER FRA and BEFORE turning 70).

Last edited by BellaDL; 04-10-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:00 AM

71,805 posts, read 71,896,917 times
my answer as not replying to the op's situation . but it is replying to a situation that exists when trying to time when to take it between fra and before 70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or