U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 04:00 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,751,865 times

Advertisements

betting on your longevity to see 5% after inflation returns vs betting on the whims of markets and rates to see the same returns is a matter of which risks you want or what mix of risks you want .
personally i don't want to bet to much on either case so for us 70 for ss is a good balance . our 40-60 mix gives us all the risks we want to take on mr market .

that is why delaying ss and spia's can be powerful tools for diversifying yourself and taking some risk off your shoulders and putting some on a 3rd party not totally dependent on what you are .

spia is a bet mostly on dead body's , something you can never diversify in to on your own . those who die pay for those who live .

the best one is social security since it is gov't backed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 04:58 PM

interesting view from dr pfau

The New Math of Delaying Social Security Benefits - The Experts - WSJ

Old 04-18-2016, 07:47 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I like the bridge account idea a lot. Depending on how long I am bridging, it could change my perspective on risk tolerance with the rest. I don't mean taking crazy risks to chase big gains; I just mean not being ultra conservative.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:10 AM

in times like these a bridge account can be comforting .

the big question is how to get yield on a short term bridge account safely .

you could use something like that all inclusive bond fund portfolio i post every so often that covers all segments of the bond market even those not interest rate sensitive , that is a very different mix then a so called total bond fund which is not much more then a treasury /gov't bond weighted fund and is missing many of the higher yielding segments .

i have done nothing so far as far as a bridge structure but i really should

Old 04-19-2016, 05:13 AM

this a pretty comprehensive fixed income portfolio . some segments are interest rate sensitive ,some are not . some are inflation sensitive some are less .

overall for 8 years i think it maximizes yield with the greatest amount of diversification in bonds

while parts can be more volatile then others overall it should not be anywhere the volatility of equity's .

so if someone did not want equity's in such a short term mix this is pretty diversified .

i am not sure if i would go this route or not at this point , still on the fence . but it still could be decent as a bridge portfolio .

25% iShares Barclays Aggregate Bond ETF (AGG) (Tracks a broad index of high-quality U.S. bonds)

25% iShares iboxx $ Investment Grade Corporate (LQD) (Tracks an index of the most liquid, long-term corporate bonds)

10% Fidelity Floating Rate High Income (FFRHX) (Invests in floating rate bank loans that automatically adjusts to rising short-term interest rates. It offers additional inflation hedge)

10% iShares MBS Fixed Income (MBB) (Tracks a broad index mortgage-backed securities)

7.5% SPDR DB International Govt Inflation-Protected Bond (WIP) (Invests in an index of non-U.S., inflation-linked bonds)

7.5% PowerShares Emerging Markets Sovereign Debt (PCY) (Tracks an index of emerging markets government debt)

7.5% iShares Barclays TIPS Bond (TIP) (Tracks an index of inflation-protected, U.S. Treasury securities)

7.5% iShares Iboxx $ High Yield Corporate Bond (HYG) (Tracks an index of high yield bonds)

Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 AM

What about bridging with a fixed period immediate annuity? I don't expect it would do quite as well, but if it wasn't incredibly different that could be a good way to lower stress. In my case, I will likely be looking at a 6 year bridge and I could see doing a 5 year fixed and then decide whether it made sense to start collecting at 69 or draw on the rest of it when that ended.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 AM

a fixed period annuity really is just a cd issued by an insurer . the rates are just as low because with these those who die do not add to the draws of those who live like with life annuity's with no backsey's . with these you get all your money back with a bit of interest over those years .
only difference is the annuity gives you back interest and principal each year while the cd pays interest each year and no principal .

high yield accounts are likely higher or will be .

Old 04-19-2016, 07:35 AM

But for 5 years on a declining balance I wonder how much difference there would be. For a high yield account, I assume there is at least some risk so there would even be slim possibility of the annuity outperforming it. I guess part of it would be how much one is willing to pay for the piece of mind; it is a good feeling to know a bridge reaches all the way across when you drive on to it.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:44 AM

5 years is very short in the scheme of things so it would take a prolonged deep drop to really influence things .

right now the plan is we have 2 years cash set a side , this year and next year .

we are delaying ss so except for a small pension my gets all money comes from our portfolio.

my wife has to go from 66 to 70 before she collects and i get 1/2 hers so in 4 years income will start flowing .

i would have to fill 6 years until i file .

next year i will start to channel all dividends and interest in to filling up the following year and whatever short fall we have i would sell equally from the pie .

i am not convinced a bridge portfolio will add much value , if any .

Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 AM

So I got curious and plugged it into a calculator. If you start with 300K and take out 5K a month for 5 years with no interest you end up with zero. 1% left about 8K, 2% about 16K and 5% about 45K so each % is worth over 8K (more like 10K for the last one). I am not sure how many points difference there will be between guaranteed and higher yield but pretty darn safe and then there is the "how safe?" issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or