Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,085,536 times

Advertisements

We all have asked this question in regards to our own situation. There is no easy answer. There is only a best for you answer but this particular link and piece suggests taking it sooner rather than later is the better choice but also points out the benefits of waiting as some professionals suggests.

The piece opens with this and it is quite telling as to how in depth the report will go.

Quote:

This retirement planning analysis proves you should always take your retirement benefits as soon as you can. Note that this recommendation is not to stop working and retire as soon as you can collect Social Security retirement benefits. You should still keep working if you can, want to and/or need to.

Several of the most popular methods of performing the analysis are detailed below.

This is the first time someone has actually crunched the numbers, to prove which annuity strategy is optimal, and then put it in a place that stays put long enough for you to thoroughly evaluate it.
Free Retirement Advice on when to Collect Social Security.

I read the report over a few days twice and found it quite informative. In fact I plan on sending it to my financial advisor so that he can use it in the future. It is well written and I think it has facts and figures to back up its advice. I remember and I am sorry I don't remember the C-D member name (my apologies) advocated just that with numbers of their own. Since this question has not been put here on the retirement forum exactly as I wrote it, maybe those who search for this information will find it and find it helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 AM

106,612 posts, read 108,757,383 times
it all depensds on the assumptions made . this isn't the first time someone crunched all the factors they can think of . kitces did it a while ago .

on the other hand kitces's study shows delaying is far and away the better choice hitting stock like returns on what amounts to a gov't bond if even one person in a couple makes it to 90 . a 47% chance which is still pretty high odds . if i was a single male i would not look at those real returns as being countable ..

there is a difference in assumptions that conflict the 2 calculations . . i have to say i agree with kitce's work up more .

https://www.kitces.com/blog/how-dela...money-can-buy/

results of kitces study show 5% real returns are gained by age 90 , still coin toss odds for a couple and 6% if you make it until 95 . real returns are after we subtract inflation . 5 to 6% are stock like real returns with NO SEQUENCE RISK allowing higher spending through retirement just because you do not have to factor in down years on the ss portion ..

using fidelity's new social security optimizer there were big difference for us delaying when spousal benefits were included . we had not only higher differences in draw and balance but much less dependency on markets and interest rates along with reduced sequence risk , all very important factors and in fact market dependency is the main reasons we are trying to delay . .

this is kitces's conclusion and assume 3% inflation and spending down a balanced portfolio to delay until 70 .

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-08-2016 at 05:07 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 05:13 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
You can analyze this stuff forever.

It all depends on your mathematical models and you must pick numbers that have a lot of uncertainty.

But the most important numbers are the dates of your and your spouses' death. You should objectively look at your health, physical condition, family history and your level of stress. There are a number of sites out there to help.

Of course, the lowest risk is to assume you'll live to 100 but very few people make it that far. I've read stories about people who lived like paupers and died with millions in the bank.

The truth is that most people start SS by FRA. Only about 5% delay beyond that age.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:18 AM

we looked at the numbers up to average life expectancy and projected only that far out . delaying as long as we could plus manipulating restricted application worked out the best .

if one of us lives past average the deal only gets sweeter .

Old 04-08-2016, 05:50 AM

16,272 posts, read 10,401,684 times
The first assumption that jumped out at me was COLA will be 3% annually. Here is the real world:

2010: 0%
2011: 0%
2012: 3.6%
2013: 1.7%
2014: 1.5%
2015: 1.7%

https://www.ssa.gov/news/cola/automatic-cola.htm

Old 04-08-2016, 05:51 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
For me 62... I want the $'s Now.... (Unless I'm working then, then I'd delay it)

Old 04-08-2016, 05:55 AM

16,272 posts, read 10,401,684 times
As somoene with limited funds my plan at this point is to get to 65, see where we are, and probably file at that age. I agree with MJ that spening down to wait will leave you unprepared for big expenses down the road. Still the appeal of a larger check forever while avoiding the torpedo tax is strong.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:06 AM

no one should spend down to delay if it eats to much of their savings . , that would be very dangerous .

we like the fact we get to spend more early on by delaying because so much less powder has to be kept dry for sequence risk then if we are more dependent on markets by filing early

Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,229 times
The tough thing for all of these models is how dicey predicting is right now. I do not pretend to understand all of the things that go into different prediction models, but my FA tells me that a few trends that seem to have some correlation based on logic and historical data have not been reliably tracking with each other for some time.

Here is a "gloom and doom" article that I do not have all that much faith in, but it points out a lot of the problems:
Stocks could crash by at least 50% - Business Insider
Quote:
By many, many historically predictive valuation measures, stocks are overvalued to the tune of 75%-100%.
I am not trying to alarm people as much as point out that you may think that analysis is garbage or you may be shopping for a strong box and a working farm. Or somewhere in between. You can make a pretty good case for any of the alternatives because it is all crystal ball woo at some level.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 AM

that is our feeling too . i rather take on more longevity risk delaying at these valuations then more market and interest rate risk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement