U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:24 AM

23,649 posts, read 17,623,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is a big plus for many high cost of living areas like the tristate area . even small amounts of appreciation on such expensive homes usually leave folks in better shape then most locals when they relocate to cheaper areas .

aside from the fact that higher pay leads to higher social security payments for decades .

most transplants i have known did far better with their homes then the meager savings they managed to invest . not that markets couldn't have done better for them . it is just most folks are terrible investors as well as savers .
Agreed - in many of these places, someone's home equity could easily be more than all their other savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:29 AM

7,733 posts, read 4,750,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When you sell rental the tax implications can be huge... recapture, capital gains, etc.
Of course. Our CPA crunched the numbers. If I can get $850k for it, we emerge with just over $600k cash.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:34 AM

23,649 posts, read 17,623,979 times
One of my old workout buddies from high school ended up getting a job at Dollar General corporate in the Nashville area eight years or so ago. He bought a house in east Nashville that has seen well into six figure appreciation since then. He then moved back to Knoxville and bought a nice home that Zillowed in the $200k range. He may very well be mortgage free - if not, his mortgage is probably nominal.

A former coworker and friend of mine here in Indy bought a house in a fairly trendy neighborhood for about $110k a few years ago - it's now valued in the $170k-$180k range. He's thinking of buying a property in a nearby small town where his fiance is from - for around $100k. With their income ($150k or so), the fact that she can work from home, and the low property prices, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up mortgage free by 35.

Far from retired, but it sure helps the cash flow.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:36 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,361,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Ex-Californians are the reason why Incline Village, NV is so expensive.

Still, I'd live there...at least part of the year.
Bingo... lives in Incline Village.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 AM

I actually started out mortgage free at 22.

Had been working and paying into Social Security since age 12... so with 10 years of savings I set out to buy a home and got nowhere... lenders all told me to come back in a couple of years with a full time job history instead of part time jobs like weekend manager for a auto parts house.

I had the down payment money so that was not the problem.

Becoming really discouraged, I started looking at what I could find without a mortgage... started concentrating on the least expensive single family listings and checked out all of them.

Found a 1927 home of 600 square feet on a 25 x 100 lot that was scheduled for a condemnation hearing... it still had working utilities!

Due to a shrewd Broker I made an offer of 1/3 of the list price... originally, I said it was way too rough... she kept me talking asking what I thought it was worth and wrote it up... and I left her with a $100 check for a deposit... the next day she called and said congratulations I had just bought myself a single family home in the SF Bay Area... and I still own it today.

This home is definite part of my retirement plan.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:21 PM

8,870 posts, read 5,149,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I actually started out mortgage free at 22.

Had been working and paying into Social Security since age 12... so with 10 years of savings I set out to buy a home and got nowhere... lenders all told me to come back in a couple of years with a full time job history instead of part time jobs like weekend manager for a auto parts house.

I had the down payment money so that was not the problem.

Becoming really discouraged, I started looking at what I could find without a mortgage... started concentrating on the least expensive single family listings and checked out all of them.

Found a 1927 home of 600 square feet on a 25 x 100 lot that was scheduled for a condemnation hearing... it still had working utilities!

Due to a shrewd Broker I made an offer of 1/3 of the list price... originally, I said it was way too rough... she kept me talking asking what I thought it was worth and wrote it up... and I left her with a $100 check for a deposit... the next day she called and said congratulations I had just bought myself a single family home in the SF Bay Area... and I still own it today.

This home is definite part of my retirement plan.
What a cool story...and a smart move.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Part of it is from my upbringing... owning is everything when you come from a farm family...

I was determined to own and kept lowering my standard until I could make it happen.

The rest of the story is almost everyone thought I had just flushed my lifesavings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or