U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:14 AM

536 posts, read 634,466 times

Advertisements

I mostly listen to music in my car. I have two indoor rescue cats who don't like music--the only pets I have ever had who act as if it is upsetting.

I like Scarlatti, Haydn, the nineteenth century Romantic composers (especially Schubert and Schumann), OPERA (live, but I like recordings, too), Celtic folk music, Euro-pop, oldies, classic rock, alternative rock, and I don't mind hip-hop though I've never fully taken to it. My cats don't like any of the above, sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 09:41 AM

9,053 posts, read 7,809,390 times
I listen to music in my car all the time. Not so much at home but I did just go and put on a Cable TV Jazz Music channel. I have to do that more.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:47 AM

306 posts, read 338,914 times
I enjoy what little silence there is left to be in, usually early Sunday mornings. I love sitting outside with coffee and listen to the birds before the traffic picks up. I also love a snowy day here for that reason, it's so quiet for awhile. I rarely have my TV on anymore, that used to be background noise for me and I don't usually listen to music while I drive. I do listen to Amazon prime playlists while at the the gym, good music makes the workout better.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 AM

3,971 posts, read 3,279,880 times
I realized some time back that I wasn't listening to music in the way I did in the past, however, I do play guitar and I suppose that sufficed for my music listening for quite awhile. The last year I've been playing more CD's in my car on road trips, at home we listen to a lot of Jazz on the TV's music channels and my wife added a radio in the bathroom which she loves to hear her fav music on in the AM.

In the sixties and seventies I was a full tilt music lover, playing everything form Jazz, blues and rock on a reel to reel deck for hours on the weekend. I guess music is one of those things that working and living conflicts with, in retirement one can choose to spend hours doing what we like with no conflict from the more humdrum things we all need to do.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 AM

6,676 posts, read 3,717,510 times
Eclectic -- within limits. Something is on about half the time at home.
I'm addicted to a few classical pieces that I'll listen to once or twice a week. I often will listen to MVYradio (mvyradio.com...Redirect... out of Martha's Vinyard streaming on my PC for some classic oldies and some interesting new performers. Sometimes I'll listen to a New Mexico Spanish music on the radio mostly for the tempo and style. I like some African music. I'm not heavy into modern Jazz but I like the older depression era stuff along with some ragtime and '40s swing. If I hear something I like from a movie soundtrack I'll check it out (Lord Huron from "A Walk in the Woods" for example.) My vinyl turntable stopped working a while back so I'm not listening to as much. I always have CDs or my MP3 going in the car.

Our local brewpub has a vinyl night so folks bring old records...no imposed limit on what or who they want to hear. We get a lot of jazz.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:46 AM

11,963 posts, read 20,449,210 times
I prefer speaking. I have the tv on all the time because I have tinnitus, and the wheeeeeee I hear is annoying. Keeping the TV on means the Wheeeee is tuned out.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:49 AM

14,446 posts, read 7,967,079 times
We love listening to 20's jazz on the old phonographs, but with the Sonora Invincible you have to change the needle about every third play or so. We have an Edison A250 that has a diamond disc needle that never has to be changed, but you have to play only Edison records on it. The good Edison 78 records with that smokin hot 20's jazz can set you back $100 dollars or more, and that's for only two songs.

We play them both every day and love the hunt for the Edison records. I think the least amount we've spent on one was about $25 dollars. John's managed to score a few for the Sonora for a dollar.

We listen to CD's from the 20's in the car as well, and Radio Dismuke on the internet. I did a whole project listening to Annette Hanshaw and I can't walk through it without singing Telling It To The Daisies in my mind

Then there's my tiny walkman for something a little more high octane for bike riding. I spent a record ten hours on my bike one week last summer. Sometimes I bring it with and listen to something more sedate when I walk the dogs. Sometimes I just enjoy the silence.

You know, there's just something magic about listening to that old music coming from an old house when you're on the front porch with the neighborhood shorties doing sparklers.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:18 AM

5,271 posts, read 3,664,103 times
I always listen to music in my car. I have downloaded almost every piece of music I like to a USB stick and it plays over and over, same stuff, over and over. I have blues, classical, rock, country, folk, what ever I have heard and enjoyed, most of it is old stuff.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:24 AM

8,429 posts, read 9,183,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I used to when I was younger. Now for years it's right wing talk radio, I turn it on as soon as I get up and it's on clear till I go to bed if there is nothing on TV in the evening.
Nice relaxing stuff, eh?

Old 04-09-2016, 11:54 AM

4,074 posts, read 1,139,918 times
I have had a variety of tunes in my head for years and years. It can be very distracting to hear the same song over and over. Being a musician for 40 years I trained myself to memorize songs and it seems to have carried over to this day. Right now the song stuck in my head is sort of an obscure one by the Beatles called "No reply". It's been stuck in my head for about a week. Eventually it will be replaced by something else which will also get stuck. Fortunately, the songs are ones I like, so it's not all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or