U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,681,285 times

Advertisements

If I'm home, there's music on 90% of the time, save when I'm watching TV or talking on the phone. Classical, rock, some jazz. I've had music on nearly every chance I got since I discovered the girl groups and the Beach Boys in 1963. I went through an audiophile phase, but found that "better" stereo equipment can be so revealing of recording flaws, listening is no longer enjoyable.

I listen to music on my computer exclusively now, having moved to an apartment that's quite small. I use powered speakers made by B&W, one set hardwired to my computer, the other wireless. Because I have tinnitus now, music is much more enjoyable if the speakers are closer to my head than the typical, speakers ten feet across the room setup. Right now I'm listening to Nicholas Harnoncourt's Beethoven Symphonies.

I don't like to listen to music outside. I like being able to hear what's actually going on around me, and my brain ends up connecting music with strange outdoor imagery. I was once listening to a bad tape of "Jungleland" (off-center record sound) on my Walkman as I was coming out of the Dupont Circle Metro, creating an unpleasant visual I've not been able to let go of. And I hate that, because "Jungleland" is one of my favorite songs.

I have a playlist on my iPhone that's nothing but rock or disco. I only listen to it when someone annoying sits near me on the bus or subway. Like someone upthread, I am annoyed when I forced to listen to someone else's headphones. I don't play mine loud, btw. Just loud enough to drown others out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 12:16 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,081,485 times
I have a nice-size music library on my iPhone but the audio medium I prefer is audiobooks. I can't remember the last time I put in the earbuds and chose to listen to music instead of a book. It's probably been a few years.

When driving, I usually don't listen to anything but I will occasionally turn the radio to our local public independent/alternative/international music station (KXT 91.7). I sometimes discover new artists there and purchase their tracks from iTunes but then I never listen to them again. ~sigh~

Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 PM

5,253 posts, read 3,651,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I have had a variety of tunes in my head for years and years. It can be very distracting to hear the same song over and over. Being a musician for 40 years I trained myself to memorize songs and it seems to have carried over to this day. Right now the song stuck in my head is sort of an obscure one by the Beatles called "No reply". It's been stuck in my head for about a week. Eventually it will be replaced by something else which will also get stuck. Fortunately, the songs are ones I like, so it's not all bad.
I'm not a musician, but I understand. For years I heated my house with wood and I cut and split all of it. Everytime I would start swinging the splitting maul, I would start humming the tune to Jeopardy, my favorite tv program

Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,700,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That is why I think I don't listen to it all the time. My mind is always going and that would be a distraction.

I remember when I was in a university course a few years back and we were taking a test. The instructor (also middle school principal) turned on some music to help us "relax". It irked me, but I didn't say anything. I thought this is why kids need noise 24/7 - they are programmed for this at school. We were not brought up that way. BTW - this was an early education course.

I guess some people need it.
Oh that would have irritated me to the max. I can't study or read for enjoyment when music is on because I have to focus on the music. Either or I can't do both. The music would have been a major distraction.

If I want to listen to music, I don't want to be doing anything else so I will turn it on and listen and focus on all the nuance, notes, rhythms, sounds, instruments and what the music is saying whether it's lyrics or instrumental.

I don't use it as background noise.

I like silence so I don't mind as much quiet as possible. Maybe it comes from decades of working in a noisy office where there was sound going on all the time.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:39 PM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We love listening to 20's jazz on the old phonographs, but with the Sonora Invincible you have to change the needle about every third play or so. We have an Edison A250 that has a diamond disc needle that never has to be changed, but you have to play only Edison records on it. The good Edison 78 records with that smokin hot 20's jazz can set you back $100 dollars or more, and that's for only two songs.

We play them both every day and love the hunt for the Edison records. I think the least amount we've spent on one was about $25 dollars. John's managed to score a few for the Sonora for a dollar.

We listen to CD's from the 20's in the car as well, and Radio Dismuke on the internet. I did a whole project listening to Annette Hanshaw and I can't walk through it without singing Telling It To The Daisies in my mind

Then there's my tiny walkman for something a little more high octane for bike riding. I spent a record ten hours on my bike one week last summer. Sometimes I bring it with and listen to something more sedate when I walk the dogs. Sometimes I just enjoy the silence.

You know, there's just something magic about listening to that old music coming from an old house when you're on the front porch with the neighborhood shorties doing sparklers.
We had a parade in my town today. I live in a house built in the 1920s. We watched the parade from the wrap around porch. I had my old Philco tube radio playing in the background. AM stations only. I like the scratchy sound.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:43 PM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh that would have irritated me to the max. I can't study or read for enjoyment when music is on because I have to focus on the music. Either or I can't do both. The music would have been a major distraction.

If I want to listen to music, I don't want to be doing anything else so I will turn it on and listen and focus on all the nuance, notes, rhythms, sounds, instruments and what the music is saying whether it's lyrics or instrumental.

I like silence so I don't mind as much quiet as possible. Maybe it comes from decades of working in a noisy office where there was sound going on all the time.
Another thing that bothered me was the chaotic look of the elementary classrooms. It's like noise for the eyes.

They tell teachers to make it interesting, but do they really know how? It's more about throw as much as possible up on the walls. All I remember from grade school is the big row of cursive letters above the chalk boards. Maybe one bulletin board with olorful items.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:57 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,037,333 times
We like mellow easy listening. There isn't any in this area. The radio in the house hasn't been plugged in for over a year.
Once in a while we play a CD in the car, but not often.

When we lived in AZ there was one station that played pleasant music and the car radio was never turned off or changed.

We don't subscribe to satellite radio, I am not motivated to spend the money.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:43 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,977,192 times
The music soundtrack in my mind never stops.

It can play anything and sometimes I go to U-Tube to figure out the song.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:15 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,576,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The music soundtrack in my mind never stops.

It can play anything and sometimes I go to U-Tube to figure out the song.
Interesting that you have a soundtrack in your mind. I noticed a long time ago that I had background music, more the kind in movies you don't notice but would miss if it wasn't there than a 'feature' song. I'm likey to have something to humm too. I don't listen to music when I take a walk, but create my own.

The one time when it has to be quiet, no music, no tv, no loud pets, is when I'm writing. I write fanfiction and when I'm really 'in the zone' anything bothers me. If I rewrote the same scene three times and have to decide which to keep 'noise' like the tv being on low will help me concentrate. But not something I'd actively watch.

I use music to chase away bad times too, when I get sad and feel sorry for myself. It's always something that has a lot of good memories and draws me away. I miss going to filks, even though its been years. I love You Tube since I've found so many of the stuff I heard sitting on the floor preserved there. I'll find some list with tons of songs and just let it play them. The speakers I bought for the laptop have nice loud sound with anything that comes from Amazon's music ap, but you tube doesn't so I'm thinking of looking for an upgrade to something with amplification. Carpet is banished from my house in part because it gathers dust (we get enough anyway) but it also dampens sound.

I love all the responses, so thank you all. I used to say that there is a short list of music I don't like and pretty much enjoy to some degree all the rest. But I usually don't tell people when nothing is on I still hear music.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:21 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,159,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Yes, I am another person who love music but only want to listen very attentively and don't use it as background noise.

If anything, I am very annoyed by background noise even when it happens to be my most favorite piece of music.

The only time I enjoy the 'background noise' is when it is a part of the environment such as the sound of chipping birds, croaking frogs, rustling leaves in the wind etc during my hikes.

It never ceases to amaze me why so many people must have a constant background sound (I refrain from calling it noise ;-)). Some people leave their TV or radio on 24/7 everywhere in their house. They communicate or converse with family members or go to sleep with the TVs or radios on at almost full blast.

I don't leave the top off my convertible very often especially when driving around town mainly because of the noise pollution of people cranking up their favorite music.

When I was working, I always had my office door close so that I could concentrate on my work. There were few times when I had to go to the next door offices to ask the occupants to turn their music down since the walls were not sound proof!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or