Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 04:20 AM

29 posts, read 79,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Only 4 channels!

AND we had to get up from the couch and turn a handle on the TV to change the channel.

Oh Horrors.
^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Lol

-WC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 04:21 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
acollegestudents rant was hilarious. Not one thing said there, any of us couldn't have said at that same age. Except we had to deal with the Draft, very real wide spread discrimination compared to today, periods of runaway inflation, AND only 4 channels on the TV!!!!.
And 2 of those were UHF!!!

Old 04-13-2016, 04:24 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
And by the way, here's another job the baby boomers are hogging: taking care of the millennials' grandparents.

I don't personally know a single millennial who is a full-time caregiver of an elderly person incapable of living alone. But I personally know five baby boomers who are. Oh, and that doesn't count me, so six. I retired several years before I might have because my mother is virtually helpless and begged me not to "make her" go to assisted living. I haven't had more than three days in a row away from her in ten years now. Would some millennial like to have that job?

Old 04-13-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Many Baby Boomers are still in their 50's - early 60's.
They were - 10 years ago. I'm at the tail end of the boomer generation and I'm 57.

Most boomers are over 60. The boomer generation started in 1946 and was so-named because when the men came home from WWII, the birth rate naturally shot up. By the time the official "end" of the boom came around, that had long tapered off. If you use the same cutoff for the "end" as they did for the beginning there is very little excuse for extending the "boom" past about 1960 at most.

Since then, with the advent of freely available birth control, the birthrate has continued to decline.

The oldest boomers are in their 70s by now.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. For example - I don't have a single doctor who's in my generation. They're all millennials (or maybe even younger) now - and they are very good doctors IMO. I respect them as my doctors. They respect me as their patient.

Lane drifting is common when it comes to anyone who is trying to text/talk while driving - especially without bluetooth (for voice connections). Can't say I don't see it a fair amount where I live. But I see it in drivers aged 16 to 70+. Seems to be a multi-generational problem. Robyn
Younger people use their cell phones an inordinate amount. Ditto "social media". I finally got rid of my Fakebook account for a number of reasons, partly due to the fact that younger fellow students insisted on using it for things like lunch invitations. Sorry, but if you expect me to meet you somewhere you need to SPEAK to me, not paste something on a wall that you already know I am not going to check but once or twice a week.

There are plenty of available studies that show cell phone use while driving etc is much higher among younger rather than the older drivers.

As for doctors - I have had exactly one younger doctor, and I ended up firing her after repeated failure on her part to make any effort to understand or even care about the needs of an older patient (eg me).

She had no interest whatsoever in understanding the issues of aging, and especially of the aging disabled patient (again, me). And she was, if anything, LESS competent in her field. I almost dropped her my very first visit, when she went off on a wild tear about something she'd clearly read on the internet, because there is little or no support for her weird idea in actual peer reviewed literature. I should have, it would have saved me a lot of aggravation.

Granted, older doctors can be equally uncompassionate and dismissive. But ALL of my favorite doctors have been my age or older. Every single one.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Obviously, it's not all of them. But it is a VERY familiar refrain, especially on city-data.

The majority of drivers I see driving erratically because they are on their phones are millennials and younger.

And my husband has to train millennials and they are on their phones CONSTANTLY and he has to tell them to put the phone down so they can listen to what he is trying to teach them.
When I was still teaching college classes (up to about 2010), I had to take phones away from students in class every single semester.

And they weren't just texting, either, but taking calls. Plus there was always somebody who tried to use them to cheat during tests.

It was right there in the syllabus, no cell phone use during class. If someone had a special reason to need to have it on - such as elderly parents or sick children - they needed to let me know beforehand, put it on vibrate, and take it outside immediately. None of them thought that was reasonable.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:20 AM

92 posts, read 230,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
And 2 of those were UHF!!!
UHF!! You are young!! Our TVs didn't have any numbers except 2 through 13!!! No UHF till I was a young adult. But then again I just barely remember the Dumont network! And I was told that the first TVs did have a channel 1 but I don't remember that LOL!!! Not quite that old LOL!!!!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Younger people use their cell phones an inordinate amount. Ditto "social media". I finally got rid of my Fakebook account for a number of reasons, partly due to the fact that younger fellow students insisted on using it for things like lunch invitations. Sorry, but if you expect me to meet you somewhere you need to SPEAK to me, not paste something on a wall that you already know I am not going to check but once or twice a week.

There are plenty of available studies that show cell phone use while driving etc is much higher among younger rather than the older drivers.

As for doctors - I have had exactly one younger doctor, and I ended up firing her after repeated failure on her part to make any effort to understand or even care about the needs of an older patient (eg me).

She had no interest whatsoever in understanding the issues of aging, and especially of the aging disabled patient (again, me). And she was, if anything, LESS competent in her field. I almost dropped her my very first visit, when she went off on a wild tear about something she'd clearly read on the internet, because there is little or no support for her weird idea in actual peer reviewed literature. I should have, it would have saved me a lot of aggravation.

Granted, older doctors can be equally uncompassionate and dismissive. But ALL of my favorite doctors have been my age or older. Every single one.
First off - best I can tell - you're in your 50's. You're not that old - not even a senior. When it comes to people your age - based on my personal experience - most are on the phone as often as younger people. My 2 (younger) brothers are joined at the hip with their phones. And who are they talking with/texting? Mostly their wives and their children. There is a "helicopter parent" component to this. Which is foreign to me. OTOH - would our earlier lives have been different if we had cell phones? Probably. I recall that when I was in college - not only didn't we have cell phones - we didn't have phones in our dorm rooms. We had to use (expensive) pay phones to talk with our parents. So we didn't talk with them that often.

As for doctors - I think it's impossible to generalize on the basis of one experience. Curiously - our oldest doctor - my husband's PCP - in his mid-60's - is a "fluent" phone fan. We can email or text him any time. And - during hours when most people are awake - he's usually back to us by email or text in minutes. My PCP - who is 20 years his junior - is actually slower in terms of getting back to me when it comes to electronic communications (although still pretty prompt). We love being able to communicate with our doctors this way. It is in fact the way we (and most people) communicate with most of the world now.

My PCP - who's a board certified internist - knows a lot about aging. Every year I learn how getting older is changing various ways my body works . FWIW - the internet is a source of lots of medical information. Some good - some not so good. You have to be able to evaluate your sources to evaluate the information (and I think my doctors are in a better position to do that than I am). Also - even in the medical community - there can be controversy/lack of agreement about whether X/Y/Z should be done for all/most people in various circumstances. And guidelines can change from one year to the next. We roll with the punches when this happens. Overall - I think most doctors are pretty competent. But some doctors have personalities that don't mesh well with the personalities of particular patients. So - especially when it comes to a PCP you see on a regular basis - it's good to "shop around" until you find one you like.

Finally - I think a large % of the complaints here seem to be about cell/smart phone use. Perhaps that's because a lot of older people/seniors don't know how to use them? Apart from that - what substantive complaints do people have? Robyn

P.S. Adults seem to use their phones in cars as often as teenagers do:

Adults are just as likely as teens to have texted while driving and are substantially more likely to have talked on the phone while driving.

Adults and Cell Phone Distractions | Pew Research Center

Note that I think that cell phone use/texting while driving should be banned - for everyone. Because it is a contributing factor in a lot of accidents. Even when people are talking over a "hands-free" bluetooth connection.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 AM

708 posts, read 721,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, you said it. And this 55 year old even teaches millennials about how to use computers. Of course I don't have time for Facebook and such. Those types lose out on a world full of education, more than we had available to us when we were their age.

You are so right. Just because millennials know how to use Facebook and Twitter does not make them better qualified. Us Boomers learned so much so fast and we handled it all plus we show up
for work every day and not wasting time on phones. I feel sorry for companies when our generation retire.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
They were - 10 years ago. I'm at the tail end of the boomer generation and I'm 57.

Most boomers are over 60. The boomer generation started in 1946 and was so-named because when the men came home from WWII, the birth rate naturally shot up. By the time the official "end" of the boom came around, that had long tapered off. If you use the same cutoff for the "end" as they did for the beginning there is very little excuse for extending the "boom" past about 1960 at most.

Since then, with the advent of freely available birth control, the birthrate has continued to decline.

The oldest boomers are in their 70s by now.
Your numbers are off. The last baby boomers were born in 1964 and will be 52 this year. The peak year (in terms of births) was 1957 - and those people will be 59 this year. The youngest boomers were born in 1946 - so they're turning 70 this year. There were actually more babies born in 1964 than in 1946.

Baby Boomer Generation Fast Facts - CNN.com

There were just about as many babies born in the last 9 years of the generation as the first 10:

BBHQ: Boomer Statistics

IOW - the average/median age of boomers seems to be late 50's. Perhaps 58-59.

People my husband's age - 71 - and older - were in the previous generation. The "Silent" generation:

http://www.marketingteacher.com/the-...ns-in-america/

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement