U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:14 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,589,896 times

Advertisements

Older workers are already being phased out of the private sector. Government employment is about the most secure around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 12:46 PM

5,677 posts, read 6,778,300 times
I have the solution.

All of us over 50 will be fully retired.

Everyone under 50 will work, and be taxed at 75% of income (or whatever level it takes) to provide everyone over 50 with a minimum of $100k/year income and all medical expenses fully paid. Anyone under 50 who refuses to work will be killed.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:53 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,345,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Older workers are already being phased out of the private sector. Government employment is about the most secure around.
I noticed they all went the self employment route, i.e. consulting.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:59 PM

519 posts, read 431,110 times
Kind of a hard sell to get anyone near retirement to punch out early (unless they've saved a lot (or have a solid pension) relative to needs) as a) interest rates are basically zero so it is very hard to earn income without substantial risk and b) there are ongoing debates swirling around the financial viability of social security and medicare. Many will conclude that the "one more year" syndrome makes sense...

Old 04-09-2016, 01:02 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, I got my first computer at work 31 years ago.

I went through it all from DOS 2.1 to today.
I got my first exposure with computers with DOS 2.0 in the 70's when they plunked it down on my desk at work. I've been up and running ever since. I think this guy is nothing more than a bigot with a bad idea.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM

12,302 posts, read 15,205,734 times
A few years ago I heard a proposal: the first million to sign up get full Social Security, Medicare and a million dollar bonus. But they have to build a new home and buy a US made car. Eases the auto industry problem as well as housing crisis. But times are better today.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:31 PM

536 posts, read 632,312 times
I had my first home computer, a fat 30 lbs or so, in the mid-1970s and learned CPM (much better than DOS) before DOS won that war. (CPM was more intuitive.)

In the mid-1980s I still had to "format" my huge floppy disk (it took about 10 minutes) before working with it. It was like drawing lines on a piece of paper before writing on it.

I had a daisy wheel printer that sounded like a Gatling gun and took forever ... but made beautiful copies, eventually.

I had a "portable" laptop computer that weighed 13 lbs c. 1989. Two floppy 3" disks, no hard drive. It didn't die until well after 2000. I was astonished at how the prices had fallen since 1990 when I had to replace it. Maximum file: about 30 pages. I wrote a book on it, and it was on about 8 or 10 files.

It doesn't mean I am a computer pro. It means only that I am used to change. I will learn what I need to. Most of change in tech is improvement in speed, but some so-called "improvement" goes backwards. We've gained more than we've lost, for sure. I can't now imagine living without a hard drive, though I did for 20+ years.

But I don't have that fever to know what the new thing is, because it is probably more "icons" and short-cuts than commands that tell you what is happening.

I often am an editor of my own work and work by others, and for camera-ready publication the fewer embedded codes, the better. One used to always be able to see what was causing a problem and "disappear" the problem by using "reveal codes" but at this point, the codes are buried deep in the programming.

I don't think fluency in current tech is a virtue. Employers have to know if someone is flexible enough to learn, so adaptability is a better criterion. Some changes are a little hard to pinpoint even by someone who is only dealing with professional word processing and is still using Word Perfect (it's still the best at showing buried codes but is no longer updated or supported).

Again, saying one has been doing something for a long time doesn't mean a thing. Saying someone is willing to do something new is a good thing. Lots of people (of whatever age) don't like to deal with a new thing.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:13 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,671,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
This whole cell phone addiction is annoying.

I've seen managers in their 50's pushed out, and my last manager was 62 when he was forced out. He was replaced by a 30 something single mom who is frequently posting on Facebook about her feelings during working hours. (We became Facebook buddies when I quit the job)
The most cellphone-addicted person I know turns 70 this year. He's also the second-loudest talker I know (the other is a boomer woman).

Old 04-09-2016, 05:31 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,947,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
I had a "portable" laptop computer that weighed 13 lbs c. 1989. Two floppy 3" disks, no hard drive. It didn't die until well after 2000. I was astonished at how the prices had fallen since 1990 when I had to replace it. Maximum file: about 30 pages. I wrote a book on it, and it was on about 8 or 10 files.
I had one of those! TRS-DOS (Tandy-Radio Shack) It was cute thing. Eventually I was quite frustrated with it. My dad bought it to do bookkeeping for his business. I took classes and everything, and had to go tell dad, "This computer will NOT do what you want it to do." This took 3 or 4 years of messing with it off and on. I finally called the guy who sold it to Dad (he had bought it second hand) and asked the guy if he had a recommendation on what to do with it.
"Tie a rope around it," he said, "Keep it on your boat and use it as an anchor, because that's all it's good for."

Flash forward 2 or 3 years and a hard drive and QuickBooks did what he wanted.

Last edited by Southlander; 04-09-2016 at 06:26 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 05:51 PM

11,058 posts, read 6,204,250 times
We were at BWW the other night and up came a list of some 10 sports types that were retiring. Their ages were mid 30's. Meanwhile some of us have a mandatory age/length of service time before we can retire, thus putting some of us anywhere from mid 50's - early 60's. Others choose to work even longer (mortgages/cars& kids college/family members medical care costs) to ease the financial burdens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement