U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:22 PM

6,309 posts, read 3,574,248 times

Advertisements

Technological skills are only a piece of what it means to be a well-rounded employee. Unless you are hiring people who will sit alone all day in cubicles with no connection to the outside world it would be unfortunate for the upcoming generation to measure a person's worth only by tech wisdom. Imagine what an alienated and unhealthy society that will be!

There are still many jobs that require good "people skills" and the best way to develop those is to have some life experience tucked under your belt. I truly am concerned about a generation that seems to spend so much time alone together with their noses in their phones. Are we underestimating the importance of social skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:09 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,346,323 times
Default W/o the poetry, that's a fact Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Want culture change? Time to push baby boomers into retirement - FederalNewsRadio.com

claims that one way to improve the Federal Government is to get rid of remaining Baby Boom employees. They are a drag on the government given their materialist interests and inability to embrace collaboration and information sharing. As Federal Equal Employment Opportunity compliance (prohibits age discrimination) is supposed to set the standard, I presume this is a harbinger of evolving employment trends. The same interest group complains about the fiscal burden of the Social Security and Pension systems at the same time. Ah well. Most politicians and pundits today are Ralph Waldo Emerson fans.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day."
I experienced a top-down management fiat to eliminate employees over 60, short time or lifers. By USDHS. Some of the most productive employees were pushed out.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:17 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
The last place I worked pushed out the some of the older employees who had been working there for decades when they hit their mid 50's. Then the company discovered that there was no one left who knew many of their antiquated computer systems that had never been upgraded or replaced. The younger tech people did not know anything about these systems because no one learns what was, only what is.

Some of the former employees were asked to come back just to help teach the newer ones how to use the old programs. A few did but most who had been made to leave the company in their mid fifties, just before they could collect their pensions they had been grandfathered in before the pension plan was dropped, told the company to politely go to Hell.

It was part of my job to teach young salesmen how to input their sales on a simple Windows program. Some of them never did get the hang of it. I always wound up doing it for them. I was in my sixties. I also trained other new employees on various programs just out of college.

This author's quote regarding the division of the age groups by stereotyping is ridiculous. Obviously, neither he nor his original source have ever worked with a mix of people of varying generations.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:16 PM

5,077 posts, read 2,225,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Large corporations have been dumping the older employees since about 2001. Nothing new here.

Ha. Long before that it was going on.........one of my friends grand fathers was fired with 36 years with a company...........6 months before he was to retire. They did not have to give him a pension.......

Old 04-10-2016, 01:46 AM

48 posts, read 27,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Want culture change? Time to push baby boomers into retirement - FederalNewsRadio.com

claims that one way to improve the Federal Government is to get rid of remaining Baby Boom employees. They are a drag on the government given their materialist interests and inability to embrace collaboration and information sharing. As Federal Equal Employment Opportunity compliance (prohibits age discrimination) is supposed to set the standard, I presume this is a harbinger of evolving employment trends. The same interest group complains about the fiscal burden of the Social Security and Pension systems at the same time. Ah well. Most politicians and pundits today are Ralph Waldo Emerson fans.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day."
The thing is baby boomers really really messed things up for future generations.

You guys pretty much took everything great that was established by your parents and completely destroyed it. You ruined things for your millennial children. You killed a once-great nation.

So I'm not sure why you expect sympathy from us.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:50 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,158,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a manager now at 63, I use SQL, Tableau, and Jaspersoft, while my younger staff is still trying to learn Sharepoint. I was the first where I worked at the time to use a PC when they first came out. I have used the Apple "fat mac", Lisa, mini computers with tape drives to interface with mainframes (ASCII to EBCDIC) and could read COBOL (in the 70s) and yet I have never worked in IT. It looks like I'll work to 67, maybe 70, as long as I enjoy what I do and keep getting raises (performance based).
That is pretty good evidence that a lot of baby boomers lack computer skills, because you have them and are getting promotions and raises instead of being fired or retired.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:52 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,158,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe87 View Post
The thing is baby boomers really really messed things up for future generations.

You guys pretty much took everything great that was established by your parents and completely destroyed it. You ruined things for your millennial children. You killed a once-great nation.

So I'm not sure why you expect sympathy from us.
Sorry, I won't do it again.

Seriously, how did I do that? I went to work, paid my taxes, and voted for less government spending. What would you have preferred that I do?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 AM

53 posts, read 30,058 times
There are plenty of us in the millennial generation that work very hard but are unable to achieve our dreams without sequential barriers. This includes stereotypes that we are incapable or incapable of conducting business which couldn't be further from the truth.

http://www.incomediary.com/top-young-entrepreneurs

1) I call this ideology "Reverse Ageism". For BB generation to claim that us, millennials are "useless lackeys that rely on cell-phones" is ridiculous. Many of us are technology advance, and it takes years to memorize syntax structure, the discipline to actively learn a trade, 1,000 of commands memorized and re-readable, dealing with very life-changing situations at the same time, and run an entire organizations that are directly effected at the click of your fingers not excluding actively engaging in feedback, etc. Some of us are learning this at an accelerated pace of 3-months worth of span-time or more agmonst with dealing with medical conditions, lack of sleep, career-job-at stake pressures and politics. Some of us are CIS or Soon-To-Be-Engineers,notconsumer sector.

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/age.cfm

Contrary to belief, it is illegal to discriminate against someone based on their age not excluding 40+.

Supreme Court: ADEA Does Not Prohibit 'Reverse' Age Discrimination

Out of both opinion and experience I have seen qualified workers from all age-ranges. The problem that millennials face, who, both need jobs and a place to stay aren't getting those jobs. We are often shuffled around, forced into low-paying non-living jobs, or unfortunately face those situations with a worker(s) or boss who is 60+ with full retirement, married, and perks, still occupying a job that should have been retired from 20 years ago. That is a job that could have helped a millennial family or, a job that could have helped a millennial single who could have possibly, done amazing things, and they are unable to get it due to job-squatting and BB clickery.

Unfortunately they can't and the company in question looses out or becomes outdated/stagnant, and looses the BB employee anyway due to natural death. Why? Because Tradition and Stereotypes says so. Regardless of age Respect is earned, not given. Even with conducting business we are often stereotyped and cast under the belief of incompetence, treated as incapable teenagers, deal with many harsh realities or sequences that the previous generation has avoided or profited on, yet carry the same adult weight of any legalized 21+ citizen in the states which includes the ability to vote, to marry, to go to war, to drive a car, to own property, to have monteziation, etc. We have a right to those rights so, using the old "I'm older than you!" is nothing short of ageism and bragging. Good BB's help and look out for millennials. Bad BB's take, Discriminate, Segregate, and leave us jobless..

It's even more difficult for those who are not from the 'mainstream of acceptance'. Imagine if we all allowed every generation the same mind-set to control our minds and futures. We defiantly wouldn't have the technology we have now and would be forced to work farms or non-sustainable jobs for the rest of our lives. That is a future that no one wants, struggling at the bottom where one cannot even feed themselves let alone a family or, even help a family member or friend in need because they can't even afford medical treatment due to low-income.

That's not a future America is looking towards nor should be encouraging. We cannot complain about the world's problems yet blindly turn an eye to our own right in our own backyards. Eventually everyone will be forced to leave their jobs as we don't live forever but still, don't hold back the very generation that can and is capable, of doing great things.

There is plenty of sexism, racism, and age-discrimination in this country. There has been an unhealthy fetishism of harassing, killing, or destroying the lives of college students as well too, and many other hazards that our generation still faces not excluding homelessness and of course, the crushing school-to-debt regime.

Please see link below.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/po...-of-ut-student

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Try getting your education or life-dream job where every time you turn around this is happening and or someone is threatening your job (your life source). I think the BB generation seriously needs to step back and re-examine the type of real society that is out there that we face. Not everyone is privilege to be a stay-at-home-since-my-husband-works, old-money, or-we-are-retired group while watching MSNBC or The Shopping Channel for entertainment. Your jealous of us, yet you want us. Wtf.

I would question, if someone is younger than you, why even feel threatened by them in the first place? Your life is almost half-over, yet your upset at someone else maintaining or starting theirs? Some insecurities here? Do this generation think it's funny to peanut-pay us while they wine and dine on privilege, stocks, and pleasures at our expense?

True professionals don't have time to get jealous, they are busy working changing lives and advancing society.

Last edited by ACollegeStudent; 04-10-2016 at 06:40 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 06:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,328,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I constantly hear how baby boomers lack "skills" which usually point to lack of skills based around computer use.

I find the assertion totally nuts.

Baby boomers invented the technology the cry baby generation, aka millennials, rely on. Hit to the cry babies; I was using a computer before you were born.

Sometimes it gets tiresome listing to the whine.
Agreed. Actually, I was programming computers before Millenials were born.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 AM

9,751 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I had one of those! TRS-DOS (Tandy-Radio Shack) It was cute thing. Eventually I was quite frustrated with it. My dad bought it to do bookkeeping for his business. I took classes and everything, and had to go tell dad, "This computer will NOT do what you want it to do." This took 3 or 4 years of messing with it off and on. I finally called the guy who sold it to Dad (he had bought it second hand) and asked the guy if he had a recommendation on what to do with it.
"Tie a rope around it," he said, "Keep it on your boat and use it as an anchor, because that's all it's good for."

Flash forward 2 or 3 years and a hard drive and QuickBooks did what he wanted.
ROFL, not even sure it would have been heavy enough to be a decent anchor.

Maybe a paper weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement