Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 AM

1,745 posts, read 2,371,408 times

Advertisements

Want culture change? Time to push baby boomers into retirement - FederalNewsRadio.com

claims that one way to improve the Federal Government is to get rid of remaining Baby Boom employees. They are a drag on the government given their materialist interests and inability to embrace collaboration and information sharing. As Federal Equal Employment Opportunity compliance (prohibits age discrimination) is supposed to set the standard, I presume this is a harbinger of evolving employment trends. The same interest group complains about the fiscal burden of the Social Security and Pension systems at the same time. Ah well. Most politicians and pundits today are Ralph Waldo Emerson fans.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,781,756 times
This has always been a difficult issue. When there isn't enough work to go around and much of the work requires new skills, preference for younger workers makes logical sense. Choosing to replace an older worker based only on age is wrong.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:23 AM

10,805 posts, read 14,869,714 times
I constantly hear how baby boomers lack "skills" which usually point to lack of skills based around computer use.

I find the assertion totally nuts.

Baby boomers invented the technology the cry baby generation, aka millennials, rely on. Hit to the cry babies; I was using a computer before you were born.

Sometimes it gets tiresome listing to the whine.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:23 AM

660 posts, read 742,937 times
Moderator cut: political rant

Truth be told ... corporations are begging and offering big bucks to baby boomer's to stay on the job because the college grads are brainwashed political activists who can barely tie their own shoes let along perform in a high tech corporate environment. I retired as a aerospace engineer and aerospace companies are having a very difficult time finding qualified young graduates to fill entry level engineering positions. The kids of today are learning nothing but political activism.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-09-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,156 posts, read 80,278,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I constantly hear how baby boomers lack "skills" which usually point to lack of skills based around computer use.

Baby boomers invented the technology the cry baby generation, aka millennials, rely on. Hit to the cry babies; I was using a computer before you were born.

As a manager now at 63, I use SQL, Tableau, and Jaspersoft, while my younger staff is still trying to learn Sharepoint. I was the first where I worked at the time to use a PC when they first came out. I have used the Apple "fat mac", Lisa, mini computers with tape drives to interface with mainframes (ASCII to EBCDIC) and could read COBOL (in the 70s) and yet I have never worked in IT. It looks like I'll work to 67, maybe 70, as long as I enjoy what I do and keep getting raises (performance based).

Old 04-09-2016, 09:23 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,713,555 times
The one thing they overlook is that we "Baby Boomers" show up for work, are on time, do not talk on our cell phones or text all day, and we have knowledge that takes years to gain. I have outlasted a whole bunch of younger people at my work because I take my work seriously and know what I am doing.

Don

Old 04-09-2016, 09:55 AM

536 posts, read 839,744 times
It's not helpful to characterize demographic sectors made up of millions of people as if they were all the same. Journalists do this to get people piqued, but it's not sensible to say that all Boomers are diligent (or lacking in skills). It's not fair to say that all millennials lack conscientiousness. The folks I know from the millennial generation all hold jobs; one has just been promoted. They work very hard at what they do. Yet there are also many in the generation who are not imbued with a work ethic. I knew a lot of Boomers, back in the day, who never wanted to work that hard.

In my own Boomer generation, and some were (and are) better and more productive workers than others. No group is comprised of all good or all evil people--all lazy or all super-efficient.

Human nature is variable and how well one works has, in my experience, little to do with age per se. I happen to enjoy working, but don't see it either as a virtue or a mistake. It's fun for me, I enjoy it, and so I'll continue to work.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM

35,368 posts, read 20,743,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The one thing they overlook is that we "Baby Boomers" show up for work, are on time, do not talk on our cell phones or text all day, and we have knowledge that takes years to gain. I have outlasted a whole bunch of younger people at my work because I take my work seriously and know what I am doing.

Don
want to come work along side of me!! I am tired of the babysitting the rest of the workers for every little thing--- now-- I do not agree with 99% of boomers ideas in other things-- im a free soul and I do not like the "boxing"--categorizing

Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 AM

10,805 posts, read 14,869,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a manager now at 63, I use SQL, Tableau, and Jaspersoft, while my younger staff is still trying to learn Sharepoint. I was the first where I worked at the time to use a PC when they first came out. I have used the Apple "fat mac", Lisa, mini computers with tape drives to interface with mainframes (ASCII to EBCDIC) and could read COBOL (in the 70s) and yet I have never worked in IT. It looks like I'll work to 67, maybe 70, as long as I enjoy what I do and keep getting raises (performance based).
Yeah, I got my first computer at work 31 years ago.

I went through it all from DOS 2.1 to today.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,589,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

LOL, you said it. And this 55 year old even teaches millennials about how to use computers. Of course I don't have time for Facebook and such. Those types lose out on a world full of education, more than we had available to us when we were their age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement