Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,942,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
It's been my experience that some people are born with work ethic and some people can't be taught it. Or maybe work ethic is the wrong term for it. It's more of a gung ho attitude vs a procrastination attitude. An attitude difference people seem to be born with. Some people are happy working, and were born with that. Some people are only happy when they're not working, and were born with that. The difference should be easy to see in your own children, if you have enough of them for such differences to show. OTOH, it might just be that they were born for different types of work, and the work you want them to do favors some of them over others, which makes some of them seem gung ho and some seem natural procrastinators.
True and it tends to run in families. Not always true but the last fifty years has seen a dramatic shift in the inter-generational transfer of values within families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:37 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,351,365 times
Where do they think the pension money comes from? Boomers' have paid hard earned money off their paychecks into government pension & SS funds for decades whether they wanted to or not. And the government spent it on other things instead of holding it in trust. So now that the boomers are ready to retire the feds are telling us there is not enough to go around?

Computer technology was developed by Boomers. I used a computer for inventory control in 1978 and programmed them in 1983. When I was in school there were no calculators yet. My family did not get a TV until 1965. Boomers brought those into existence and now you have tablets, iPhones and 3D TV.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,403,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I constantly hear how baby boomers lack "skills" which usually point to lack of skills based around computer use.

I find the assertion totally nuts.

Baby boomers invented the technology the cry baby generation, aka millennials, rely on. Hit to the cry babies; I was using a computer before you were born.

Sometimes it gets tiresome listing to the whine.
Some baby boomers may have invented some products yes, however in the corporate world in general it is the middle management baby boomers that refuse to stay up to date with technology that cause so much headache and expense. I worked for one company where the Controller refused to implement new tech or change from their "tried and true" method of printing everything out. They spent MILLIONS more than they should have on payroll and wasted time because he and his cronies refused to change with times.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,865,875 times
I think the problem that comes with older people is that they don't learn new skills as fast as they used to. I've seen that first hand, and it applies to other things as well. I took a basic Greek class 25 years ago, and it was several older fellows that really had a hard time picking the stuff up. They'd learn it, but then what they learned they just couldn't retain. That is a problem that an older employee might have, especially if what they need to learn is all new. I don't think its as bad a problem, if someone is learning something new but its in a field that they already know well.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:50 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,990,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACollegeStudent View Post
There are plenty of us in the millennial generation that work very hard but are unable to achieve our dreams without sequential barriers. This includes stereotypes that we are incapable or incapable of conducting business which couldn't be further from the truth.

http://www.incomediary.com/top-young-entrepreneurs

1) I call this ideology "Reverse Ageism". For BB generation to claim that us, millennials are "useless lackeys that rely on cell-phones" is ridiculous. Many of us are technology advance, and it takes years to memorize syntax structure, the discipline to actively learn a trade, 1,000 of commands memorized and re-readable, dealing with very life-changing situations at the same time, and run an entire organizations that are directly effected at the click of your fingers not excluding actively engaging in feedback, etc. Some of us are learning this at an accelerated pace of 3-months worth of span-time or more agmonst with dealing with medical conditions, lack of sleep, career-job-at stake pressures and politics. Some of us are CIS or Soon-To-Be-Engineers,notconsumer sector.

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/age.cfm

Contrary to belief, it is illegal to discriminate against someone based on their age not excluding 40+.

Supreme Court: ADEA Does Not Prohibit 'Reverse' Age Discrimination

Out of both opinion and experience I have seen qualified workers from all age-ranges. The problem that millennials face, who, both need jobs and a place to stay aren't getting those jobs. We are often shuffled around, forced into low-paying non-living jobs, or unfortunately face those situations with a worker(s) or boss who is 60+ with full retirement, married, and perks, still occupying a job that should have been retired from 20 years ago. That is a job that could have helped a millennial family or, a job that could have helped a millennial single who could have possibly, done amazing things, and they are unable to get it due to job-squatting and BB clickery.

Unfortunately they can't and the company in question looses out or becomes outdated/stagnant, and looses the BB employee anyway due to natural death. Why? Because Tradition and Stereotypes says so. Regardless of age Respect is earned, not given. Even with conducting business we are often stereotyped and cast under the belief of incompetence, treated as incapable teenagers, deal with many harsh realities or sequences that the previous generation has avoided or profited on, yet carry the same adult weight of any legalized 21+ citizen in the states which includes the ability to vote, to marry, to go to war, to drive a car, to own property, to have monteziation, etc. We have a right to those rights so, using the old "I'm older than you!" is nothing short of ageism and bragging. Good BB's help and look out for millennials. Bad BB's take, Discriminate, Segregate, and leave us jobless..

It's even more difficult for those who are not from the 'mainstream of acceptance'. Imagine if we all allowed every generation the same mind-set to control our minds and futures. We defiantly wouldn't have the technology we have now and would be forced to work farms or non-sustainable jobs for the rest of our lives. That is a future that no one wants, struggling at the bottom where one cannot even feed themselves let alone a family or, even help a family member or friend in need because they can't even afford medical treatment due to low-income.

That's not a future America is looking towards nor should be encouraging. We cannot complain about the world's problems yet blindly turn an eye to our own right in our own backyards. Eventually everyone will be forced to leave their jobs as we don't live forever but still, don't hold back the very generation that can and is capable, of doing great things.

There is plenty of sexism, racism, and age-discrimination in this country. There has been an unhealthy fetishism of harassing, killing, or destroying the lives of college students as well too, and many other hazards that our generation still faces not excluding homelessness and of course, the crushing school-to-debt regime.

Please see link below.

Troubled teen charged with murder in death of University of...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Try getting your education or life-dream job where every time you turn around this is happening and or someone is threatening your job (your life source). I think the BB generation seriously needs to step back and re-examine the type of real society that is out there that we face. Not everyone is privilege to be a stay-at-home-since-my-husband-works, old-money, or-we-are-retired group while watching MSNBC or The Shopping Channel for entertainment. Your jealous of us, yet you want us. Wtf.

I would question, if someone is younger than you, why even feel threatened by them in the first place? Your life is almost half-over, yet your upset at someone else maintaining or starting theirs? Some insecurities here? Do this generation think it's funny to peanut-pay us while they wine and dine on privilege, stocks, and pleasures at our expense?

True professionals don't have time to get jealous, they are busy working changing lives and advancing society.

I retired at age 60. I got the hell out when I could. As to your having "problems" focusing on your education..... try doing it with a draft in full swing..........

Old 04-11-2016, 01:20 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,608,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think the problem that comes with older people is that they don't learn new skills as fast as they used to. I've seen that first hand, and it applies to other things as well. I took a basic Greek class 25 years ago, and it was several older fellows that really had a hard time picking the stuff up. They'd learn it, but then what they learned they just couldn't retain. That is a problem that an older employee might have, especially if what they need to learn is all new. I don't think its as bad a problem, if someone is learning something new but its in a field that they already know well.
That is very true, older people do have a lot more trouble learning a new language. But so do you. If you are old enough to be here on this site you have already long past your prime for new language skills. You will never be able to learn the sounds a five year old can hear. You will never even be able to tell that you are not saying it right and what is more unless your teacher learned as child they can't hear it either.

experience vs youth is silly. the old guys are not holding your career or anyone else's they got where they are by working hard and doing well, they earned the spot.

those old guys are just mirrors of you 20-30 years from now. Do you want to be tossed aside at 50 because some new guy thinks you are slow?

They only winners of the class wars and age wars are the corporations and governments seeking to distract from the primary issue of a lack of good paying jobs after 17-20 years of education.

Oh and peak earning years tend to skew to forties.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:41 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,608,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Some baby boomers may have invented some products yes, however in the corporate world in general it is the middle management baby boomers that refuse to stay up to date with technology that cause so much headache and expense. I worked for one company where the Controller refused to implement new tech or change from their "tried and true" method of printing everything out. They spent MILLIONS more than they should have on payroll and wasted time because he and his cronies refused to change with times.
your exception proves nothing other than you had an old fashioned boss.

You see I know a company where the kids got to have their way a wrecked a strong employer. Management was convinced by the cool presentations and confidence displayed. What they failed to account for was that the confidence was due to complete ignorance of the risks. Decades of customer goodwill crushed to save a little money and mildly improve margins. They had forgotten that trust was the primary asset of the company.

Again, lets us be clear older employees are an asset , younger employees are an asset. Those who view the other as some sort of adversary really need to pull their heads out of ....

If we are to blame to older folk for anything, we should be blaming them for allowing the pendulum to swing so far in favor of the employer as to leave the workers fighting amongst themselves for the few scraps left on the floor.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,865,875 times
evilcart wrote:

Quote:
That is very true, older people do have a lot more trouble learning a new language. But so do you. If you are old enough to be here on this site you have already long past your prime for new language skills. You will never be able to learn the sounds a five year old can hear. You will never even be able to tell that you are not saying it right and what is more unless your teacher learned as child they can't hear it either.

experience vs youth is silly. the old guys are not holding your career or anyone else's they got where they are by working hard and doing well, they earned the spot.
EvilC Is correct. I'm older and I'd have the same problems trying to learn something completely new. That has to be a consideration for an employer, just all kinds of other things are considerations. I can't lift as much as I used to either. There are advantages and disadvantages to being older and more experienced, in the same way there are some with being younger. The employer should have the right to decide who to hire, not the govt. or others, assuming the people they hire are legally in this country and eligible to work.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,070,796 times
acollegestudents rant was hilarious. Not one thing said there, any of us couldn't have said at that same age. Except we had to deal with the Draft, very real wide spread discrimination compared to today, periods of runaway inflation, AND only 4 channels on the TV!!!!. And we were looked upon as just a big a fool as they are now. The difference is we actually spoke with and to people face to face, vs via chat and text, which is a specific skill set that seems to be dying. The stuff that comes out of some of their mouths just amazes me. I have and work with millennials, and many have this love of spouting rhetoric in text, but face to face, they just stare, speechless.

Life isn't fair, wasn't meant to be fair, never will be fair, so get over it, boohoo. Make your own opportunities when you can and run with them.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 PM

7,145 posts, read 9,236,425 times
Only 4 channels!

AND we had to get up from the couch and turn a handle on the TV to change the channel.

Oh Horrors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement