Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

The way to fix government is to get rid of about 50% of it at least. This is just insidious coded language to brainwash the public to grow government, have a dependent underclass, and pro-government Globalist anti- Capitalist pro-Corporatist point of view.

Let's face it it has worked with the post boomer generations coming out of the liberal school systems and has even bubbled up to Boomer-think.

Look at all the people that complain Washington DC doesn't do enough. God help us.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-14-2016 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:05 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The way to fix government is to get rid of about 50% of it at least. This is just insidious coded language to brainwash the public to grow government, have a dependent underclass, and pro-government Globalist anti- Capitalist pro-Corporatist point of view.
Let's face it it has worked with the post boomer generations coming out of the liberal school systems and has even bubbled up to Boomer-think.

Look at all the people that complain Washington DC doesn't do enough. God help us.
OMG! Why did I not think of that? I guess I removed my tin foil hat a little too soon.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:47 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If I remember right, there is an election that is held every two years ... and the overwhelming majority are reelected each year. Did you take the time to vote?

==============
I have never missed a voting opportunity, local, state or federal, worked on campaigns for many years and working on a local one now. I go way back as a child handing out "I Like Ike" flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
My first use of the computer was in maybe 1992. I forgot what point I was going to make?
My first use of a computer was with "Big Blue" using punched cards as input device.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:31 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Isn't that the truth. I'm not a baby boomer, but I'm not in my 20's either. What I see with the younger generation is a bunch of lazy, entitled kids who stroll in at 9:15AM with their Starbucks in hand, and leave at 4AM AND take an hour lunch...... and think that's a full day...
What kind of work/job are you talking about? Just in general.

There are young people who are questioning the workhouse hours demanded in some professions. Like investment banking.

Millennial Employees Confound Big Banks - WSJ

And I can't say I blame them. Because the way things used to work - if you killed yourself for X years - you were guaranteed a partnership and a huge income for the rest of of your life. Today - there is no such guarantee. My generation was the first in the legal profession to experience that kind of thing. Many classmates who toiled for 7-8 years at Wall Street law firms - working 100+ hours a week - expecting to make partner (which had been the norm) - didn't make partner. And were unceremoniously kicked out on the street or offered dead-end non-partnership jobs at the end of those 7-8 years.

People in other professions/lines of work experienced the same or similar. The worst IMO is people who got "downsized" when they were in their 50's or so.

I think too many younger people have seen this happen to older relatives/friends/friends of relatives. Why work hard if hard work isn't rewarded? Ideally - a motivated person would try to find a job where hard work *is* rewarded. But that isn't always possible in today's employment environment. Robyn

Old 04-14-2016, 02:52 PM

BTW - I went to Best Buy today to buy something. Many/most of our local Best Buy employees are working full time/near full time at Best Buy while attending a local public university - the University of North Florida (they have to work full time to pay their way through school). They don't earn high hourly wages and don't get commissions. Yet they are unfailingly polite - and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Although they do get on their phones. Our sales person got on hers today to see if she could get a better "price match" than I had found on my own before I went to the store .

A lot of UNF students work as servers in local restaurants too. And they are the same as the Best Buy employees. My husband and I can't understand how these kids hold down full time jobs while trying to get their degrees (as a practical matter - most can't get their degrees in 4 years doing this - they take 5-6 years - there are only so many hours in a day).

I see the same in our main grocery store - Publix. Where many local kids start working as baggers at age 14-15. And keep working at Publix in college. Most toil anonymously. But some get their 15 minutes of fame :

Publix bag boy Mike McNeely grateful for spotlight after Gators' fake field goal - Orlando Sentinel

I am sure there are some younger people who are lazy - just like there are some older people who are lazy. But I sure wouldn't generalize on the basis of my day-to-day experiences with younger people - which are generally positive.

I think a lot of this has to do with corporate culture and management. For example - Publix employees here as a whole are consistently better overall than Winn Dixie employees - even though they're drawing from the same labor pool. Robyn

Old 04-14-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
...People of all generations have priorities and make choices...good or bad. If one decides to saddle themselves with tremendous debt for a large home or college expenses they have to realize that it was their choice out of a variety of alternatives.
Those are 2 very different things IMO. The first is a consumption item. The second is an investment in one's self and one's future.

I personally think the cost of higher education is OUTRAGEOUS these days. I graduated from law school - Harvard - in 1971. Tuition my last year cost $1750. With room and board - I was perhaps looking at $3k or so a year. And I could earn that $3k (or close to it) working full time in the summer. Today - the cost of that same thing is $85,000 a year:

Cost of Attendance | Harvard Law School

Even public state schools aren't inexpensive these days. The in state costs for the University of Florida will run you over $20,000 today:

University of Florida Tuition, Costs and Financial Aid - CollegeData College Profile

Which is just nuts. There are some things that cost many multiples of what they did in 1971 - like cans of tuna fish. But no one spends $85,000 or $20,000 or anything near that on tuna fish. Besides - tuna fish goes on sale .

There are some areas where both the cost increases and the absolute costs are both in nose-bleed territory. One is health care - especially since the enactment of the ACA. But I don't think many people here think that health care costs are anywhere near reasonable. To the contrary - many people here think they are nuts too (although I personally am more tempered in my view when it comes to certain areas of health care spending). Robyn

Old 04-14-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Haha...I have to laugh every time I see an article or thread discussing the generations - it's as if Baby Boomers and Millennials both seem to think there were absolutely no people born between 1965 and the early 1980s.

Newsflash - no, Millennials, when Upper Management Boomers retire, you WON'T be waltzing in to take their place with a whopping five years experience under your belt - the Gen X Middle Manager with 20 years experience will get a promotion, and if you're lucky, you'll get to move to Middle Management.

Also - the oldest Millennials are maybe early-30s in age now - you've never seen a Doctor in his or her mid-30s to late 40s at all?!!?? And YOUNGER than a Millennial? You're seeing high-school aged Doctors?!!??
I misspoke in that early post of mine in this thread (just assuming earlier posters knew what they were talking about). Before actually digging in and doing some reading. Although I later pointed out - after I read some - the presence of Gen X. Citing this article several times:

The Six Living Generations In America – Marketing Teacher

Most of my doctors are in fact Gen X (40ish). I have a couple of nieces in the medical profession who are either early millennials or late Gen Xers (can't remember the exact years they were born). But - even in their 30's - they are just finishing their training or at the start of their careers.

Generation Z - the post-millennials - aren't close to being doctors or much of anything professionally yet - but they're an important demographic group in terms of purchasing power. So what they like to buy is important too - at least in some areas. Like clothing and electronics (they seem to favor the latter over the former). Not houses . Still - if you go a mall - there are so many national stores/chains that depend on selling stuff to teens/tweens that it's hard to ignore that age group. In all honesty - as a senior - I hate the outfits that target me demographically for the most part in terms of advertising. Mostly drug companies trying to sell me stuff for ailments I don't have. I really like watching the Super Bowl - if only to see ads that are targeted to younger people.

FWIW - my PCP - in her 40's - is a GenX doctor with GenZ kids. She says her kids always stay 2 steps ahead of her in terms of using (phone) apps she hasn't mastered yet (like Snapchat). As a way to "stay private". Back when I was a kid - it was very easy to stay private - because there was no social media. Robyn

Old 04-14-2016, 05:47 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I have never missed a voting opportunity, local, state or federal, worked on campaigns for many years and working on a local one now. I go way back as a child handing out "I Like Ike" flyers.

My first use of a computer was with "Big Blue" using punched cards as input device.
Remember this little diddy, "Stevenson's a jerk, Eisenhower's got the power to whistle while he works!"?

That doesn't date me or anything like that, does it?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I learned how to do math on an abacus in grade school .....
I learned to do math writing on the walls of our cave.........

Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times
Interesting study of population profiles. Boomers will be mostly gone by the time millenials are in their stride. They will be complaining about GenX then...not that much difference.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2014pubs/p25-1141.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement