U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:16 PM

480 posts, read 508,513 times

Advertisements

When my husband and I retired, we moved FROM Florida. With your income you will be relegated to central Florida. I suggest looking around Ocala. The weather isn't the same as it was 30 to 50 years ago. Storms are stronger and fluctuations in temperature are more common. Tornados happen now. So does sunny day flooding, where the water bubbles up from the very drains that are supposed to take away excess rainwater. That is sea water with no other place to go during high tides. And the humidity is relentless, even in winter.

Also, if I had a child and I couldn't afford private school, I would never relocate to Florida. Just do your due diligence regarding education.

Also, you might want to post and read the Florida forum. Lots of info there. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 AM

7,341 posts, read 16,660,022 times
Remember one thing, and I have to keep reminding people on C-D about this.........not everyone likes diversity, or all kinds of ethnic foods.
There are just simple truths about living in Florida. Like some other states, Florida isn't for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't understand the anti-Florida bias on C-D.

FL is a much, much more populous state and far more diverse than anywhere in Indiana. FL has several major metros: Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville. Indiana has one - Indianapolis. FL also has numerous secondary metros to correspond to metros the size of Fort Wayne and Evansville. There's simply way more of everything in FL, and the Hispanic culture adds something not found in Indiana.

IN has state plus county level income taxes. In some counties, that local income tax rate is ~3%. Add the flat ~3.5% state income tax on top of that, and you're looking at 5%-6% in state and county level income taxes that simply won't exist in FL. FL has a lower sales tax than IN, and comparable property tax rates in the nicer jurisdictions. The OP didn't say what part of IN they were in, and yes, the COL is going to be cheaper in small town Indiana than it will be in the major FL metros. I live in the suburbs of Indianapolis, and the place is nice, but not cheap. Insurance is going to be more in FL, but your tax savings should way more than make up for that. Who knows - wages in most FL metros may be lower than Indianapolis, but I can't imagine you'd make much less going from some podunk town in IN to a large FL metro.

It's silly to compare schools on a state to state basis. Within each state, there are jurisdictions with great schools, and jurisdictions with lousy ones. They need to zero in on certain communities in FL they want to live in, and check schools there, or research the best schools, then build off that. There are plenty of small town, Indy public schools, and rural school districts in IN that aren't worth a darn compared to the affluent schools where I'm at. The same can be said in FL.

I'm not trying to dump on Indiana - I'm doing fairly well here and live a comfortable, but living in the most affluent city in the state is not representative of how most people in Indiana live. I'm not from Indiana, but I think Indianapolis is a boring city for its size, and there simply isn't much to do in this state. Still, when you contrast the high taxes in IN, the long winters (today in Indy it's ~40 with straight line winds - Tallahassee is 75), and the lack of scenery/outdoors things to do, to me, FL is a superior place to live.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM

486 posts, read 630,141 times
Quote:
I don't understand the anti-Florida bias on C-D.

FL is a much, much more populous state and far more diverse than anywhere in Indiana. FL has several major metros: Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville. Indiana has one - Indianapolis. FL also has numerous secondary metros to correspond to metros the size of Fort Wayne and Evansville. There's simply way more of everything in FL, and the Hispanic culture adds something not found in Indiana.

I'm not trying to dump on Indiana - I'm doing fairly well here and live a comfortable, but living in the most affluent city in the state is not representative of how most people in Indiana live. I'm not from Indiana, but I think Indianapolis is a boring city for its size, and there simply isn't much to do in this state. Still, when you contrast the high taxes in IN, the long winters (today in Indy it's ~40 with straight line winds - Tallahassee is 75), and the lack of scenery/outdoors things to do, to me, FL is a superior place to live.
I grew up in IN, & also lived in FL a couple of times for several years each time. If I "had a gun to my head" right now, whether to move back to IN, or FL.........I guess I'd pick FL, maybe. What the poster here said about IN, I agree with; Indianapolis is one of the most boring "cities" I've been to/lived in. However: a lot of the people I grew up with in IN never left; & think Indianapolis is really cool. I have affection for Indiana; I'd just rather have it from at least 1000 miles away, hah.

But FL--except for certain parts; Miami maybe, Key West (expensive!), a lot of places like the whole Tampa Bay area may be even more boring than IN. In much of FL; it's like "there's no there, there". It's hard to describe how vapid so much of it is.

I'm living in S. NH now, after living in Mass. for 30 years. As hard as the winters are here; I have too much hard experience in FL to move back there.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:06 PM

10,326 posts, read 4,887,924 times
Unless you love heat and humidity and having no seasons I would not recommend Florida to anyone. I am in Fort Myers on the SW coast and the schools are not great and neither is the pay depending on what field you are in. Then remember in the winter when the weather is finally nice enough to leave the house you have to fight the traffic as all the snowbirds flock down.

If I didn't have my whole family here now I wouldn't stay.

BTW my husband was 20 years older than me and he was 50 when our first son was born. Happy for both of you.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:40 PM

6,334 posts, read 5,072,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Remember one thing, and I have to keep reminding people on C-D about this.........not everyone likes diversity, or all kinds of ethnic foods.
There are just simple truths about living in Florida. Like some other states, Florida isn't for everyone.

I agree! I live in south Texas and even here there are different levels of diversity just in the Hispanic communities. Further south of us, everyone speaks Spanish. Here not so much.

When I went to school down south, I felt like I was in a different world. We were not allowed to speak Spanish in my school.

Then I moved to Laredo! People in stores wouldn't acknowledge you if you didn't speak Spanish and looked like you should be able to speak the language.

Even the food was different. And this was just a difference of 120 miles or so.

I ran into my sister's new neighbors. They are from way up north. The wife looked like she was in shock. Its a different world out here.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:14 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times
I grew up in north-central Indiana and moved to the Miami area for a job soon after college. I've been here for 43 years and am moving back to Indiana as soon as I can. It is so expensive down here! I live in an older home and my homeowner's insurance is $4,500.00! My automobile insurance is $2,400.00 and that is with no accidents or tickets. Traffic is horrible, drivers are so aggressive! The heat and humidity are relentless. I've gone through so many hurricanes, including losing nearly everything in Hurricane Andrew. Diversity? Not really. Mostly Hispanic and I don't call that diverse, sorry. White Anglos make up 17% of the population in Miami-Dade County. Things have changed so much in the last 10-15 years. I would never want to raise a family down here. Most schools are not high quality. Living here is like living in a third world country.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:45 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,099,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I grew up in north-central Indiana and moved to the Miami area for a job soon after college. I've been here for 43 years and am moving back to Indiana as soon as I can. It is so expensive down here! I live in an older home and my homeowner's insurance is $4,500.00! My automobile insurance is $2,400.00 and that is with no accidents or tickets. Traffic is horrible, drivers are so aggressive! The heat and humidity are relentless. I've gone through so many hurricanes, including losing nearly everything in Hurricane Andrew. Diversity? Not really. Mostly Hispanic and I don't call that diverse, sorry. White Anglos make up 17% of the population in Miami-Dade County. Things have changed so much in the last 10-15 years. I would never want to raise a family down here. Most schools are not high quality. Living here is like living in a third world country.
Come over to the Tampa Bay side. I think you will find things much more reasonable. I snowbird here, and my condo tax was $765, and of course if you're a resident, it would be about 1/2 that. Humidity in the summer is probably only marginally better, and depending how close to the Gulf are, and the sea breezes, temperatures are hot also.

I don't regret coming here one bit, but as a Canadian, only am allowed to be here for 6 months.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:01 PM

23,650 posts, read 17,623,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
There are more affordable places in FL. You can't compare the most expensive area to IN and get an accurate comparison.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times
Quote:
There are more affordable places in FL. You can't compare the most expensive area to IN and get an accurate comparison.
You are correct. I was just informing the OP that it is very expensive, etc. in the county in which I am living.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:21 AM

30,165 posts, read 47,394,029 times
Read posts on the FL side of CD
Sarasota county is one of the most expensive housing markets in Florida

We own second home in Fl (just south of Sarasota)and although it is counter-intuitive we usually spend the summers there because our daughter is teacher and we see more of her in summer...
Our other home in DFW TX is also in hot, humid climate...so we have bad weather really in either...

Why do you want to move?
For the beach?
That might be very transitory wish to make such big change...

Also while some parts of Fl are seeing job growth--Tampa and Orlando--others can be mainly seasonal, part-time, and min wage...

Florida also has some of the worst benefits for UIB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or