U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:47 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,337,677 times

Advertisements

We are snowbirds spending 4+months in FL in the winter from upstate NY. IMO FL is highly overrated. It is flat, parched, miles of empty strip malls and condos. We stay in the Keys, which is very expensive, but drive up to Miami several times for a change in scenery. Listening to the daily news shows, there is a lot of crime in FL. There is a very high population of Cubans. The old Cubans are very nice but the young ones are rude and disrespectful. Many people move there as there is no state income tax, but they get you with other smaller taxes. We leave April 1st as the weather gets very hot and humid. I ask the locals how they deal with the oppressive summer heat and they all say the same thing, they go from AC to AC and not outdoors. It may have a high population and I am not sure what the draw is. For us, we are considering staying home next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,962,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We are snowbirds spending 4+months in FL in the winter from upstate NY. IMO FL is highly overrated. It is flat, parched, miles of empty strip malls and condos. We stay in the Keys, which is very expensive, but drive up to Miami several times for a change in scenery. Listening to the daily news shows, there is a lot of crime in FL. There is a very high population of Cubans. The old Cubans are very nice but the young ones are rude and disrespectful. Many people move there as there is no state income tax, but they get you with other smaller taxes. We leave April 1st as the weather gets very hot and humid. I ask the locals how they deal with the oppressive summer heat and they all say the same thing, they go from AC to AC and not outdoors. It may have a high population and I am not sure what the draw is. For us, we are considering staying home next year.
Its no longer just Cubans. There are many people from Central and South America living in south Florida. I knew 5 people who were from Colombia and worked at the same place as I did, before I retired. There were people from El Salvador, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Brazil......on and on.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:42 AM

30,200 posts, read 47,428,287 times
Miami is huge port of entry for many people from Carribbean, South and Central America...
Probably 15-20 yrs ago we flew into Miami before driving north for beach vacation...
Most people we came in contact with at airport, rental car place, gas station before we got out of town were Haitians...
Miami like most very large cities are better at absorbing immigrants with borderline language and work skills...

There are people moving to FL but if our daughter wasn't living there, we certainly would not.

I don't understand the logic behind deciding to relocate to another state w/limited personal resources w/o a good idea of what living there would mean...
Before we bought the house we did, we had taken vacations for week or more at a time for several years and had a feel for what the area was like....positives and negatives...

Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 AM

23,700 posts, read 17,660,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Read posts on the FL side of CD
Sarasota county is one of the most expensive housing markets in Florida

We own second home in Fl (just south of Sarasota)and although it is counter-intuitive we usually spend the summers there because our daughter is teacher and we see more of her in summer...
Our other home in DFW TX is also in hot, humid climate...so we have bad weather really in either...

Why do you want to move?
For the beach?
That might be very transitory wish to make such big change...

Also while some parts of Fl are seeing job growth--Tampa and Orlando--others can be mainly seasonal, part-time, and min wage...

Florida also has some of the worst benefits for UIB
IMO, the FL forums are the most negative on these boards, and often because folks relocate to FL on little more than a hope and a dream of laying by the beach. People often come to FL with inadequate planning, end up in a mess, than blame Florida for their problems. Often people have personal baggage they drag with them to FL that would follow them anywhere.

I really don't get the complaints about FL's job market. Is it the healthiest in the country? No. Is it the worst? No. Is it better than much of the rest of the South? Yes. I'm from TN and am trying to move back from IN to TN, SC, NC, or FL. I've had the most success getting call backs and interviews in Florida by probably a more than two to one ratio over the other states. As is the case virtually everywhere, the lion's share (perhaps even a disproportionate amount) of job growth is occurring in major metros. Small towns and rural areas across the country are generally struggling. Outside of Indianapolis, professional business opportunities are going to be slim pickings in Indiana. Outside the major Florida metros, it's much the same case.

If you want to live right on the beach in FL, you'll pay a significant premium. If you're fine with being somewhat inland, prices and insurance rates decline. I'd be fine with around an hour to the beach without traffic in retirement to save the money.

Granted, I'm not an Indiana native and don't have any longstanding ties to the area, but honestly, there just isn't a lot here that's interesting from a scenery or weather perspective. It's not a destination location. I wouldn't advise anyone to move somewhere without due diligence, and if someone has a lot of family and deep roots here, then that has to be factored in a well. In my personal situation, IN is just an employment center, and I'd much rather be in FL.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:05 AM

30,200 posts, read 47,428,287 times
Re the FL job market...
There is job growth in large metros but housing costs and other issues like schools can make people live outside those metro areas...

The problem is that most jobs in resort areas (30-60 min to beaches) are mainly seasonal or tied to vacation traffic and thus fall in lower pay grades...but housing costs are above normal so people who work at those jobs have to take 3 of them to have decent place to live...
My daughter teaches and second yr she was at her school, young teacher from middle USA state who had moved there several yrs before could not make enough money to get decent house for his family--before RE crush--and had to move back home
but even during and after that bubble burst housing costs in good neighborhoods were never "cheap"..,

And I agree--the CD FL forum I follow does have many similar threads about people with unrealistic ideas about relocating... Many posters have lived in FL long term and have realistic idea of +/- of living there... Some people just don't want dose of reality...

Personally the idea of relocating someplace 1000 miles from any support network, w/o financial resources over minimal subsistance level just seems so risky that the people willing to do it are almost self-destructive...

Old 04-26-2016, 09:11 AM

I've been looking on the outside of Tampa (specifically, Brandon) and have seen plenty of condos and townhomes, with some SFHs, all for under $150,000. That should be doable for most households. This is a beautiful home and is around an hour or slightly less to Clearwater and St. Pete Beach, plus relatively easy commutes into Tampa if someone needs to work. Property taxes are about the same as an equivalent home here in Hamilton County, IN, and less than Marion County. Also, folks need to factor in the income tax savings in FL.

2140 Redleaf Drive, Brandon, FL For Sale | Trulia.com

I'm not saying FL is the promised land but a lot of people seem to give it short shrift as nothing but a tourist trap with no economy outside that. If you don't get go with the mentality of wanting to live right by the beach and paying next to nothing for it, and live a similar lifestyle to most people in most areas, you have world class amenities within an hour or so of any place in central FL and at a price that's still more affordable than much of the country.

Provided I had a job making at least $50k in the Tampa area, I'd be leaving Indiana tomorrow.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:12 PM

271 posts, read 315,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
My 62-year-old fiancé, me (44), and our 3-year-old son want to move to Florida. My fiancé is retired and makes $31,000 a year with his pension and Social Security. We plan on using $15K in savings to move down here. I plan on getting a job there. We want to live no more than 20 miles from the beach. Any tips or advice would be welcome (no rudeness, please). Also would like to hear from those retirees who moved to Florida...would like your feedback, too.

Move to Melbourne Florida, Near the beach, reasonable home prices, easy drive to larger cities. Get a job in Publix or Starbucks good benefits. Plus the 31k all is good.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:27 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,963,628 times
Can't really add much to this thread - except to emphasize that Florida is a very large very diverse state. I now live 350 miles from Miami (used to live in Miami) - and the differences between the 2 areas are huge. About the only thing I can say about the state as a whole is it's hot in the summer.

The other thing I can say is that $31k/year isn't enough for a family of 3 with a young child to live on in most of the state (except for some rural areas and some relatively crummy parts of some urban areas). It certainly isn't enough to live on in most of the areas with better schools (my county has the #1 rated school district in the state and the county median income is about $65k). Note that the OP hasn't stated what kind of work she can/wants to do. So I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that she doesn't have an occupation - a profession - or a skill-set that might land her a good job.

Here are 2 snarky you tubes about people who want to move to Florida/Miami. The point of view they express is perhaps one reason why many posters on the Florida boards are snarky too (too many people come here with totally unrealistic expectations).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvbX_FkkGgM

Robyn (Florida resident for 40+ years)

Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 AM

708 posts, read 504,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You can buy a decent condo for under $60,000 in our gated complex near Tampa. Although only 2 miles from the Gulf, good beaches are about 15 miles away. Condo fees are about $238/month. Great pool, 2/3 of the complex is 55+ (your finance qualifies, so the family does) the other 1/3 is open, so other kids are around. Very well maintained, with lots of snowbirds (like me). Schools are close by and have a reasonable rating.

6338 Spring Flower Dr UNIT 26, New Port Richey, FL 34653 | MLS #T2806323 | Zillow

P.S. This is the most expensive right now, a number are in the mid $40s.

It seems a very nice unit for the money. Do you know what they are getting for rent in that area?
Looking at it for investment purposes. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
It seems a very nice unit for the money. Do you know what they are getting for rent in that area?
Looking at it for investment purposes. Thanks!
New Port Richey isn't the best of towns and it's a bit outside the Tampa metro. I'd wager $700-$800.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or