U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:54 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,927,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You can buy a decent condo for under $60,000 in our gated complex near Tampa. Although only 2 miles from the Gulf, good beaches are about 15 miles away. Condo fees are about $238/month. Great pool, 2/3 of the complex is 55+ (your finance qualifies, so the family does) the other 1/3 is open, so other kids are around. Very well maintained, with lots of snowbirds (like me). Schools are close by and have a reasonable rating.

6338 Spring Flower Dr UNIT 26, New Port Richey, FL 34653 | MLS #T2806323 | Zillow

P.S. This is the most expensive right now, a number are in the mid $40s.
That address seems to be zoned for an elementary school that has a "C" rating from the State of Florida. Not very good. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:59 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,089,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That address seems to be zoned for an elementary school that has a "C" rating from the State of Florida. Not very good. Robyn
+55 condo.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:17 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
+55 condo.

The OP's husband is 64 and they have a 4 year old daughter so the response above is appropriate.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,089,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The OP's husband is 64 and they have a 4 year old daughter so the response above is appropriate.
Not sure of your source, but there are plenty of well rated schools in the 34653 area:

New Port Richey Schools - New Port Richey Florida School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Not sure of your source, but there are plenty of well rated schools in the 34653 area:

New Port Richey Schools - New Port Richey Florida School Ratings - Public and Private
I looked up the address on the Pasco County school district website to get the school zoning - and then looked up the school rating on the State of Florida website. Here:

School Accountability Report .

You can pretty much do this for any place in Florida. But - to the best of my knowledge - there's no centralized database for looking up school zoning. You have to go a particular county school district website (IIRC - we have 67 counties). Also - when you get to some fast growing areas - like the one where I live - areas where new schools are going up - school zoning may change from one year to the next.

Note that many real estate listings (including this real estate listing) tell you the schools that a place is zoned for - but I'd always verify them before relying on them.

Finally - the middle school this place is zoned for is even worse than the elementary school - the state gives it a D. Robyn

Old 04-27-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:

P.S. The schools that pop up in your link are mostly in the 34655 zip code. One is in 34654. None is in 34653. Note that zip codes can often be zoned for more than one elementary school. But middle and especially high schools are often zoned for more than one zip code. Didn't look up the state ratings for any of the schools in your link.

Retirees often don't take schools into account when they move. But - if they're moving to an area/development that isn't mostly or exclusively retirees - they probably should. Schools seem to matter a lot when it comes to property values. Robyn

Old 04-27-2016, 02:34 PM

8,195 posts, read 11,911,100 times
Quote:
Here are 2 snarky you tubes about people who want to move to Florida/Miami. The point of view they express is perhaps one reason why many posters on the Florida boards are snarky too (too many people come here with totally unrealistic expectations).

I prefer videos such as this one about living in North Beach (where I've lived for the past few years in an oceanfront condo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJRw...HUHzxp&index=3

Or this one on living in downtown Miami (a free trolley ride or one metro stop from my house):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K25...HUHzxp&index=4

Old 04-27-2016, 03:07 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,855,571 times
I too am always surprised at the number of people on C-D that move to Florida only to suddenly realize the weather can be hot & humid???????????? That's like living in New England and suddenly realizing we get ice & snow in the winter.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I prefer videos such as this one about living in North Beach (where I've lived for the past few years in an oceanfront condo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJRw...HUHzxp&index=3

Or this one on living in downtown Miami (a free trolley ride or one metro stop from my house):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K25...HUHzxp&index=4
Reckon you're not a family of 3 with a young kid trying to live on $31k/year either .

I like Florida (otherwise I wouldn't have lived here for 40+ years). But it can work for some people - and not for others. Robyn

Old 04-27-2016, 05:15 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:

Here are 2 snarky you tubes about people who want to move to Florida/Miami. The point of view they express is perhaps one reason why many posters on the Florida boards are snarky too (too many people come here with totally unrealistic expectations).

Robyn (Florida resident for 40+ years)

The two clips are so representative of what you read on many of the threads on City Data - unrealistic expectations on a limited budget and an attitude against anyone stating any opinion that is differing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or